10+ Year Old Account

Ontario education minister says parents upset with sex-ed can pull kids from class.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blo...lready-done-so

TORONTO — Ontario’s education minister says parents who are still opposed to the province’s new sex-ed curriculum being taught in public schools this year can pull their kids from class — which is precisely what many parents at one Toronto school appear to have done.

At Thorncliffe Park, where nearly all of its Grade 1 to 5 students were pulled from class during a protest staged by parents in the spring, almost half of the school’s population was absent on the first day of class, said a spokesman for the Toronto District School Board.

Complaints from parents have ranged from a lack of consultation with them, to lessons not being age-appropriate, to not wanting their kids to be taught about same-sex relationships and different gender identities.

Premier Kathleen Wynne said in addition to thousands of school council chairs, 70 health organizations and parent groups were consulted in crafting the new curriculum, which had not been updated since 1998.

“This is the most widely consulted upon curriculum in the history of the province,” she said Tuesday.

“When we write curriculum…on geography or social studies or mathematics, that kind of consultation does not happen because that’s not how curriculum has been historically written in the province. We felt there was a need to have a broader consultation with parents on this curriculum.”

Progressive Conservative MPP Monte McNaughton, who has been a staunch opponent of the curriculum, is urging Wynne to shelve the document and start over by consulting parents.

The party’s new leader, Patrick Brown, notably did not broach the issue in his statement marking the first day of school. He said last week he wants to “make sure parents have a say on how much and when.”

Education Minister Liz Sandals urged parents who are opposed to the curriculum to first talk to teachers and principals because there is “a lot of misinformation” being circulated, but each school board does have a policy on withdrawing students from particular classes.

However, she said, the majority of the feedback she has received has been positive.

“I have never in my life been just stopped on the street by strangers so often (who) said, ’Thank you for doing this. Hang in there. We want this program.”’

In the spring Sandals suggested Conservative groups were behind some of the opposition and now there are Conservative candidates campaigning in the federal election on sex-ed opposition.

“If there’s one group of people we admit we have not consulted with in a thorough sort of way, it would be federal Conservative candidates, I admit,” she said.

Under the changes, Grade 3 students will learn about same-sex relationships, kids in Grades 4 and up will learn more about the dangers of online bullying, while the perils of sexting will come in Grade 7.

Lessons about puberty will move from Grade 5 to Grade 4, while masturbation and “gender expression” are mentioned in the Grade 6 curriculum. Meanwhile, contract talks continue between the province and elementary teachers, Ontario’s Francophone teachers and support workers. Elementary teachers are staging a work-to-rule campaign during which they won’t plan fundraising activities or field trips or attend open houses.

Idk why ppl think learning about sex is something out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    Idk why ppl think learning about sex is something out of this world.
    They are scared of their children having a more realistic understanding of it, one not dictated by backward thinking outdated philosophies.
    A viewpoint they aren't in control of.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

If you don't want kids doing something make it boring as hell in a classroom.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I suppose the new curriculum includes chapters on gay sex.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Sure, if your goal is to make a strawman in effort to peddle your petty brand of bigotry.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Yup, they go over the actual mechanics of it, with a whole three whole chapters devoted just to anal sex. There's one on making sure everything is ready for insertion, one on timing and proper strength of thrusting, and the final one is about using a crucifix for sodomy after everything is done, just to make God properly angry.

It's being taught in 1st to 5th grade? So like 6 year olds? That seems a little early I guess. I know you were able to do that in the US anyway, as a few kids got pulled from our sex ed class, but those were in 7th grade.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Yup, they go over the actual mechanics of it, with a whole three whole chapters devoted just to anal sex. There's one on making sure everything is ready for insertion, one on timing and proper strength of thrusting, and the final one is about using a crucifix for sodomy after everything is done, just to make God properly angry.
    This type of phrasing is something I expect to see on the onion or something, which isn't a bad thing, mind you.

Southpark made fun of stuff like this years ago.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2015-09-09 at 06:13 PM.

It's Canada, they are probably teaching 4 year olds about bukkake.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    They are scared of their children having a more realistic understanding of it, one not dictated by backward thinking outdated philosophies.
    A viewpoint they aren't in control of.
    More they don't want their kid to be a parent yet to be honest. At least for the majority.