Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Feels like this computer is underperforming a lot... (WoW)

So yeah title. im just going to right in

Specs i have atm

Video Card:
    Driver: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

DirectX Driver Name: aticfx32.dll
    Driver Version: 15.200.1062.1004
    DirectX Driver Version: 8.17.10.1404
    Driver Date: 3 Aug 2015
    OpenGL Version: 4.5
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 120 Hz
    DirectX Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    VendorID: 0x1002
    DeviceID: 0x6798
    Number of Monitors: 2
    Number of Logical Video Cards: 2
    Crossfire Detected (2 GPUs)
    Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Desktop Resolution: 3840 x 1080
    Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 15.00" (30.55" diag)
    67.7cm x 38.1cm (77.6cm diag)
    Primary Bus Type Not Detected
    Primary VRAM: -1024 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x
    above is copied from steam's System check

Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 X2
    with crossfire

AMD FX-9370 Eight-Core Processor

Motherboard Crosshair V Formula-Z

Windows 7 Ultimate

Memory:
    RAM: 28569 Mb

Screen:
    Eizo 23,5" LED Foris FG2421-BK X2
    aka 120hz (240 with turbo on even tho im not sure it works)

im using the Display Port not the HDMI
    cause i've noticed i can't get for some reason the screen to perform in 120hz if i use HDMI for some reason...

these screens taken from ingame
    at Lowest possible settings as seen below

The FPS i get

when i turn em up to the graphics my AMD Gaming Evolved is suggesting

I get this as highest possible Fps

i've tried both Fullscreen mode and Windowed Fullscreen

it just feels wierd that i have this computer that is supposed to be Overpowered is performing so bad?

i know that WoW Don't support Crossfire so i've already disabled that in the Catalyst Control Center.

is there something im missing? like a certain program or do i just push it to hard having 2 screens?

i have all the newest updates for everything in the computer since i like to keep Everything up to date.

if it comes to it then ok i understand if its not supposed to perform better but it just so super wierd.
    i think i've covered most of the info u guys need i hope.

so is there something wrong with my computer or is it just me that expects to much?

WoW is a CPU bound game and primarily a single threaded game. You have an AMD CPU. You would get better performance from an ~$65 Intel Pentium G3258 Dual Core.

That does not totally explain the really low FPS though is a part of it. You can turn down just some settings, like shadows which are a real FPS killer and probably get better. Also, what addons are you running. Some addons can kill FPS pretty bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, since this is strange it might be something wrong at software level.

Do you mind trying to run it at a fresh W10 installation? People are seeing dramatic improvements with WDDM 2.0 drivers even at DX11.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 8350 with Radeon HD 7850 and WOW with max settings plays just fine. The key is to keep those VRMs on the motherboard as cool as possible, especially with a FX-9370. The Crosshair V Formula-Z is a good quality motherboard but monitor the VRM temps. When I got my 8350 and Gigabyte motherboard, i had a similar issue like you. The FPS was suddenly barely able to get 30 fps when my previous setup could hit 60 fps just fine. Did a prime95 test and it showed that some cores were finishing much slower than others. I still had my ASROCK motherboard working fine and when I swapped that back, everything was fine. Some of the motherboard VRMs went bad and the CPU throttles. So I had Amazon send me a replacement.

You want to RMA or exchange that motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    what addons are you running. Some addons can kill FPS pretty bad.
    tried with and without addons no change

i've recently reinstalled Windows and i was hoping to stick to Windows 7 for a bit more :/

i've used the motherboard for soon 1 and a half year..
    im going to try out prime95 to see if there is some issues
    im using a Corsair H100i Hydro Series CPU atm as i think it is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazic View Post
    Screen:
    Eizo 23,5" LED Foris FG2421-BK X2
    aka 120hz (240 with turbo on even tho im not sure it works)

im using the Display Port not the HDMI
    cause i've noticed i can't get for some reason the screen to perform in 120hz if i use HDMI for some reason...
    I believe that the HDMI port on your card is a 1.4, so it doesn't support higher refresh rates than 60 hz. You need HDMI 2.0 for that.

I get this as highest possible Fps

i've tried both Fullscreen mode and Windowed Fullscreen
    You might want to check that you don't have the max frame rates set to 30 under settings in WoW.

it just feels wierd that i have this computer that is supposed to be Overpowered is performing so bad?

i know that WoW Don't support Crossfire so i've already disabled that in the Catalyst Control Center.

is there something im missing? like a certain program or do i just push it to hard having 2 screens?
    Well your computer is not overpowered for WoW.

Basically it doesn't really benefit from a lot of the power that your computer has, WoW runs much better on intel chips by all accounts and it doesn't take advantage of the higher core count the AMD chips have. It uses at most 2 cores.

Likewise the crossfire is useless in WoW.

It should be doing better than 30 fps though I would think. I'd check what the performance is running WoW on just 1 monitor and see if that changes things. If it doesn't you either have a frame rate limiter somewhere or some non-obvious bottleneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Did a prime95 test and it showed that some cores were finishing much slower than others.
    You want to RMA or exchange that motherboard.
    so... i tried to run a prime 95 test and CPU goes up to 70 under 3 min, followed by computer triggering Safe crash for not overheating.
    so yeah i guess i need a new CPU cooler..

i have this atm, but i guess i have to go back to normal Fan or something
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-s...uid-cpu-cooler

so in other words. i know CPU is important but can it really affect FPS so much if its overheated?

highest temp i've got the Graphic cards to is 70 aswell but that is supposed to be normal when a game is running i thought...
    Last edited by Tazic; 2015-09-09 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    tried with and without addons no change

i've recently reinstalled Windows and i was hoping to stick to Windows 7 for a bit more :/

i've used the motherboard for soon 1 and a half year..
    im going to try out prime95 to see if there is some issues
    im using a Corsair H100i Hydro Series CPU atm as i think it is better.
    The CPU cooler isn't the problem or the CPU. The CPU pulls so much power that the VRMs on the motherboard got hot and may have damaged. Though most motherboards rather than alerting you the board was using cheap VRMs and for you to RMA it, they just throttle the CPU and you notice a huge performance loss. And with something like the FX-9370 it draws even more power and would more likely damage the VRMs. By using a water cooler, no air is directed over the VRM heatsinks around the CPU.

BTW my 8350 is water cooled and I have a water block on the VRMs as well but it's a custom water cooling loop. If you Google you'll find the VRM issue on AMD motherboard is a real big problem.

- - - Updated - - -

so... i tried to run a prime 95 test and CPU goes up to 70 under 3 min, followed by computer triggering Safe crash for not overheating.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-s...uid-cpu-cooler
    Your CPU is fine, trust me. If the system is crashing then the VRMs on the motherboard have gotten too hot and have shut down. When they shut down they can cause a BSOD. When running Prime95 touch the heatsinks around the CPU on the motherboard. If you can burn your finger, then they're overheating. You need air flow over that area of the motherboard, but at this point I figure the VRMs are damaged and you need to contact Asus for RMA.

Is the tool setting your render scale to 200%? If so, that explains a lot.

WoW is CPU bound, even with my 980 ti, 4970k 16 gig ram, it dips below 40's a lot, even 20's in raids. Old game, poor performance. ( the game only uses 20% of my cpu power and 30% of my gpu.. )

Hey man, your build is solid, but WoW isn't taking full advantage of your processor. As a few others have said, WoW is more CPU-intensive than GPU-intensive, and your processor just doesn't have great single-core performance. The best solution would probably be to upgrade to Windows 10 so you can use DirectX 12.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wregelmann View Post
    Hey man, your build is solid, but WoW isn't taking full advantage of your processor. As a few others have said, WoW is more CPU-intensive than GPU-intensive, and your processor just doesn't have great single-core performance. The best solution would probably be to upgrade to Windows 10 so you can use DirectX 12.
    WoW doesn't have d3d12 support. But the upgrade recommendation still stand for various reasons.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-s...uid-cpu-cooler.
    Is this a recent problem or one that you've had since you built it?

Try adding a fan that is blowing directly onto the motherboard chipset. One issue that I was just reminded of with the AIO coolers, is that a conventional CPU heatsink provides a measure of cooling to the chipset. It's possible, especially in light of what Duke said, that with an AIO, the chipset isn't getting enough cooling.

Your corsair should be adequate for even the amount of heat your AMD CPU puts out though.

I hadn't realized the temp limits were so low on the AMD chips, but apparently 70 is enough to trigger throttling.

It might also be that you didn't get the mounting pressure for the waterblock right. It needs good contact for the CPU cooler to work effectively. If there isn't enough pressure applied then the contact will be poor and again the heat won't transfer as well.

One last possibility, if you have installed the AIO multiple times, you may have applied too much thermal paste when reinstalling it. The unit ships with the correct amount (or close to it), but if you did it manually then it's easy to apply too much.

It's a common mistake. You really just want a thin coating, as little as possible. Despite the being called "Thermal paste" it is actually a much worse conductor of heat than the lid of the CPU or the material of the waterblock, it's used only to improve the contact and to fill in the microscopic imperfections in the surfaces.
    Last edited by Akainakali; 2015-09-09 at 09:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wregelmann View Post
    I have a 8350 and getting twice the fps he's getting using ultra settings. Something is wrong.

got a test running for 10 min before softlock.

this is how it looks. i assumed the fan on top was helping with cooling down the VRAM
    i had temp monitor on and it showed that CPU temp reached only 63.9, while the Motherboard CPU temp got to 75
    using Corsair Link to monitor CPU as its the program that came with the CPU cooler
    Last edited by Tazic; 2015-09-09 at 09:20 PM.

Again, is this a problem you've had since you built the computer or is it a new problem?

I said the motherboard chipset, NOT the ram. It's all the stuff around the CPU socket basically.

The ram isn't likely to be the source of the issues you are having with it shutting down under load, unless perhaps you have tried overclocking the memory to run at higher frequencies than it's rated for. If so, stop until you've figured out what is causing your problems.

Do you have the fans on the corsair blowing out of the computer or pulling air into the computer? Regardless they probably aren't providing much cooling for the MB chipset.

Try placing a fan so it's blowing directly onto the CPU socket area and see if that helps.

its a pretty new problem and the ram is on the right side in the picture only 2 showing
    and no i've not tried overclocking as i have totaly honest no clue how to.

i have 2 fans in front getting air in, 1 in back to get out. and 2 on top as you see in the image getting air from outside blowing directly down onto the Cpu as u can see in image.

15+ Year Old Account
    its a pretty new problem and the ram is on the right side in the picture only 2 showing
    and no i've not tried overclocking as i have totaly honest no clue how to.

i have 2 fans in front getting air in, 1 in back to get out. and 2 on top as you see in the image getting air from outside blowing directly down onto the Cpu as u can see in image.
    The black metal above of the CPU socket and to the left, when you're doing Prime95 testing... how hot does that get?
    Does it get hot enough to burn your fingers or just "hot" but bearable?

Both RAM and VRAM are completely irrelevant, forget them, they don't exist.
    Just imagine that it was never said.

That's what he's trying to get you to figure out.

bearable at first,
    but yes i got the burning finger feel

15+ Year Old Account
    bearable at first,
    but yes i got the burning finger feel
    Now you need to have it soft lock again and the moment it does that feel the heatsinks (the black stuff) again immediately.

If that stuff gets so hot that it's 90°C - 110°C then you'll notice it will burn you simply from the heat it exhausts before even touching it.

i have 2 fans in front getting air in, 1 in back to get out.
    Are the front/back fans all blowing in the same direction? They should all be, preferably blowing front to back. If you have both front and back blowing into the computer they'll cancel each other out to an extent and reduce the airflow.

and 2 on top as you see in the image getting air from outside blowing directly down onto the Cpu as u can see in image.
    From the position of the two top fans are not going to be blowing directly on the Motherboard chipset. Clearly your chipset is getting too hot, try putting a fan so it's blowing directly on it.