Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Fixed.

Let's start a chain of restaurants.
    Sounds like a plan! Just think... a place where you can eat food that may or may not taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Sounds like a plan! Just think... a place where you can eat food that may or may not taste good.
    lol. There's a fishing boat rental/guide service in my state that claims to be "Fairly Reliable." /high five

Planning a menu:

We had to have Fries $4
    Some kind of Quesadilla $6
    Nachos... I'd say more, but this is a family joint, $8
    Chicken wings, with choice of hot, hotter, or STFU sauce $9
    Some vegetable shi... oh shi... $7

Soup of the day $6
    Soup from yesterday $5

Some lettuce and things $5
    If I call it Caesar $7

About $2 worth of noodles and sauce $12
    Burger, the best thing on the menu $15
    This is not the chicken you are looking for $15
    We had to have steak, comes with we had to have fries, $26

I was bored so I put some Oreos in an apple $9
    No bake chocolate cake, aka fudge $9

There, that's our menu.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I suppose if you want your food to taste bad you're entitled to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I'd so frequent this restaurant. Make it a thing.
    Oh, if I open one in NY, I'll totally add to the mains:

170000 mg salt, with halibut somewhere inside $20

(salt crusting... a technique)

Cedar planked, salt coated, then hot smoked? Hell yes. $22

When I do to the store, I pick up most of my food in 2 departments, produce and meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Gabriel

That looks fucking amazing.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    BIG NEWS!!! COOKS USE SALT!!!

This is fine for places like McD, but for independent restaurants perhaps impossible. My restaurant, for example, almost everything is from scratch, on the fly. The amount of salt is going to vary with the cook.
    As someone having worked in that industry and talking to a professional chef, I feel I can give you a new insight here:

Cooks in restaurants and chain eateries generally tend to oversalt dishes slightly. It hides (possibly) subpar preparation really well, and it also makes the customer really thirsty. Now, you need to know that restaurants rarely earn anything in the actual food they sell. The main income is the beverages. That's why I think having a salt label is pretty nifty, actually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    D:

Heavily salted is the only way I like to eat fish. This is the only way salmon should be prepared:
    OMG, I haven't feld this good about a picture of food since I saw a stream of bacon related hypephotos.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Salt does not affect blood pressure now, according to researchers. Your body needs sodium.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...e-war-on-salt/

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/0...?intcmp=hplnws

I think it's a great idea but I don't think most people will care, the information is usually available if you know where to look
    Interesting. Salt is actually good part of your dietary because salt contains a large amount of sodium which is actually an essential mineral that your body needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    As someone having worked in that industry and talking to a professional chef, I feel I can give you a new insight here:

Cooks in restaurants and chain eateries generally tend to oversalt dishes slightly. It hides (possibly) subpar preparation really well, and it also makes the customer really thirsty. Now, you need to know that restaurants rarely earn anything in the actual food they sell. The main income is the beverages. That's why I think having a salt label is pretty nifty, actually.
    Therefore the 10pm bar menu. Fries, nachos, cheese sticks, chicken tenders, tots, grilled cheese, sliders... basically the kids menu in adult portions.

Alcohol is about 1/3 of my profit. Oddly, salads are also about 1/3, as we well a lot and they have pretty low food cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fitting for mega-food corps who can actually measure these things, not so effective for local places who are at best guessing when they make a meal. I may not cook professionally, but I know that every time I cook the same meal its a little different, either by choice or by accident.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Fitting for mega-food corps who can actually measure these things, not so effective for local places who are at best guessing when they make a meal. I may not cook professionally, but I know that every time I cook the same meal its a little different, either by choice or by accident.
    Yeah. Pro cooks aren't immune to whimsy or accidents either. At least at independent places.