Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

[Kickstarter] Battle Chasers: Nightwar

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...asers-nightwar

So I'm a HUGE fan of Darksiders, mostly because of the art of Joe Madureira. He put together his own little studio from the remnants of Vigil and they uploaded their newest project to Kickstarter called BattleChasers. It's a JRPG with gorgeous artwork.

Looks so good. Very, very rarely do I back Kickstarters but this is one of them.

If anyone else is out there wishing for a highly polished old school JRPG - this should be on your radar.

10/11/17 Update:

So the game is finally out and it has received pretty good reception.

Let's play from CohhCarnage:

TB:

My TL;DR personal recommendation - a great throwback to a game like FF7, beautiful art, animation and sound design. However it has a tremendous grind. It's well worth $30 though.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2017-10-11 at 03:17 PM.

I remember the comic book years ago and how cool it was. Now to see these characters and their world return in a video game is an exciting prospect.

Well spank me cross-eyed, that looks amazing. Would definitely buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    YAAAAAASSSSS. Get excited, I loved the comic series, glad to see something coming of it after dang near forever. Wish I was rich though, those higher-tier contributor rewards make me drool. <3 Joe Mad,

Deleted
    Kickstarter is the cancer of the gaming industry together with Steam EA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    The majority of Kickstarter projects are trash; but then you have things like Chivalry, Banner Saga, Divinity, FTL, etc.

http://www.maximumpc.com/the-10-best...er-games-2014/

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think cancer means what you think it means.

OT: I like the look of it and I will definitely be keeping my eye on this game. The art reminds me a lot of Bastion.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

It's a tool, no better or worse than any other tool, just an extension of who wields it. But thank you for the prophecy of doom, have a nice day out there on your street corner and soapbox.

Now, back to something that actually matters.

Not only does this look like a great game, it's also pretty cool to see they plan on resuming the comic as well. Now I just wish they'd reprint all the issues again in a nice softcover TPB so I wouldn't have to go delving into the hoary archives of yore to read it once more.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This game looks solid. Looks like it will be funded shortly, so it's nice to see this will come out next year most likely.
    BAD WOLF

When the funding for this has started? It's likely going to get the first goal today already.

The art is awesome. The fact it is a JRPG is awesome. Everything looks awesome! SO. FUCKING. HYPED.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I hope they have some system to skip/speed up the animations. They look cool and all but you'll get sick of sitting through them pretty quick. This is a common issue with JRPGs though, so I imagine they will have something to deal with it. Otherwise, this is a definite play for me.

Ok, 500k goal reached already. Let's see how it goes the next month.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's worth noting that anyone backing the game gets a sword from Darksiders in the game:
    Darksiders Crossover Exclusive!

In partnership with our friends at Nordic Games, and for our Kickstarter backers only - a unique weapon skin for Garrison featuring the one and only CHAOSEATER from Darksiders! Every backer will get one, and ONLY our backers.

Special shout out to Nordic Games for doing this for our fans!
    BAD WOLF

I wwas already sold, but i backed it up for this nontheless

side note: I'd really like for the Darksiders franchise to resurrect.

EDIT: is it just me or War from Darksiders has a lot of desgn similarity with Garrison? The red mantle and spaulders especially.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2015-09-11 at 01:53 PM.

Looks cool. But its another "RPG" where you have to play premade characters. I get its an already established theme. But It'd be like logging into WOW and have to choose am I Jaina or Thrall?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I wwas already sold, but i backed it up for this nontheless

side note: I'd really like for the Darksiders franchise to resurrect.

EDIT: is it just me or War from Darksiders has a lot of desgn similarity with Garrison? The red mantle and spaulders especially.
    The BattleChasers devs joked Darksiders 3 would be a $10m funding goal. lol

Ehhh. Either you get money from a publisher and you're beholded to their wants and needs or you get money from gamers and you try to deliver. There are advantages and disadvantages in both. I've seen just as many good Triple A/Indie/Crowdsourced games as I have bad ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Looks cool. But its another "RPG" where you have to play premade characters. I get its an already established theme. But It'd be like logging into WOW and have to choose am I Jaina or Thrall?
    It's nothing like an open world RPG where you create a character. It's nothing like WoW. This comparison is illogical. Creating a character isn't a basis for having 'RPG' as a genre tag.
    BAD WOLF

Do not trust Joe Mad. It will only lead to bitter disappointment. Those signed posters for example. Having to do those will cut very seriously into his video game time.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Well, it's pretty much stated it's going to be a traditional JRPG, so the standard structure is an array of characters you can choose between to create your party, and the story develps around them. Not much character customization - think of old final fanatasy, chrono cross, etc.

I actually love the dipping into old-style games.

It's funded and they hit a few stretch goals.

I'll probably add the cloth map and the physical artbook as an addon at the end of the campaign. Fucking gorgeous animation/art in this game.