View Poll Results: HOW important do would you say your smartphone is to you?

Voters
134. This poll is closed
  • Not Very, I use it for business or stay in touch, but that's it.

69 51.49%
  • OMG, My Smartphone is my life almost part of me!

9 6.72%
  • I am not that fanatic about it, but I am noticing its changed me.

30 22.39%
  • I don't have a smart phone (I'm Grizzly Adams)

26 19.40%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Were is the "I would hardly notice if it was gone"-option?

Deleted
    Oh yeah I have one of those. Maybe I should recharge it some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    Were is the "I would hardly notice if it was gone"-option?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not that attached, really.

Most days I could really get by with a basic flip phone. Heck, most days I don't even need a phone.

It's a convenience item, not a necessity, 99% of the time.

Deleted
    I have 15 fellow Grizzly Adams on this forum! Mine can text/call/alarm clock and that's all I need. Doesn't even have a camera. Too bad they stopped making nokia 3310, would definitly get me one of those again.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    I have 15 fellow Grizzly Adams on this forum! Mine can text/call/alarm clock and that's all I need. Doesn't even have a camera. Too bad they stopped making nokia 3310, would definitly get me one of those again.
    Indeed. Unless in the future my job is gonna provide me one I'm gonna stick to my nokia 6300 for now. I use exactly the those 3 features and calendar. Pretty much the only things I need from a phone. Frankly dumb phones are more comfortable as phones than most smart phones because of the physical keyboard.

For actually browsing internet away from dekstop or notebook, I'd still rather use tablet even though it's more clunky as the screen is too small in smart phones anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Mostly use it to read the news and manga while in bed. Only got it a few months ago though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    For actually browsing internet away from dekstop or notebook, I'd still rather use tablet even though it's more clunky as the screen is too small in smart phones anyway.
    Yeah I have a tablet as well but no smartphone. Mostly used for uni where professors and assistants sometimes slack and upload exercise sheets an hour or so before we need to do them. Or alter their texts multiple times throughout the year if (s)he is new. So I just have a tablet for following without having to run to the library to print all the time. And the occassional game but that's still mostly desktop.

Well, I use it because it's incredibly convenient. I organize my schedule, stay in touch with people through whatsapp, check and write my emails via apps and I get my news via constant feeds. Basically everything I used to do with my laptop can now be done with my smartphone.

On the other hand, I do not constantly play around with it (only games I have are chess and a retard-style time killer called tower of hero).

Probably the biggest boon is the camera. I love the high-end cam that comes with my S6 edge. Super sharp, clear colors, lots of funny functions and extras like the dome-function. Plus, it has UHD video and the automatic .gif creator. It's more powerful than my digital camera. Rofl.

Last smartphone I had was the Note 2, and while I thought this phone will last me forever, switching to the Edge was the best tech-investment I've made in the recent years. The huge Note 2 screen had its benefits, but also a lot of downsides. I'll stay with this type of model for quite some time now (minimum two years, until contract expires)

who is Grizzly Adams?

or what

I've got an old LG flip phone. It tells time and makes phone calls, and that's all I do with it.

I am deeply grateful for the existence of the internet, and happy to avail myself of the total compiled knowledge of the entire human race frequently, even trivially. It's going to be vital to the advancement of the species. I don't need to carry a point of contact with it around in my pocket to enjoy my life.

I'm attached to both smartphone and desktop. Both for different reasons. However if the phone was taken away from me it would take a few days to get used to not having it and I'd be fine.

Deleted
    I use mine pretty much all day, primarily as a messaging device, using a couple of different apps. I also use Netflix, Twitch and Youtube, the host of social media apps and have a couple of games on it to pass the time when commuting/waiting for whatever reason.

But, I could quite easily swap back to an older phone and be fine. I'd just carry a book or a gameboy with me instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Probably not. My smart phone is plenty fast and does a lot of stuff for me but touch screens suck for everything. In fact I used to use my phone more often before because I could at least play my emulators using the qwerty keyboard, but now I gotta use a dumb Apple phone wanna be because that's all they sell, and my old qwerty keyboard phones are slow as piss for KitKat or Lollipop.

I have to wonder why people need the fastest freakin phone when you're limited to a touch screen. GIVE ME BACK QWERTY KEYBOARDS FOR MY PHONES ALREADY!

Better question is, what don't I do with my desktop PC?

Gaming
    Movie watching
    Photoshop
    printing
    typing documents <- types without needing to look at keyboard or screen
    faxing with my old 56k modem
    Real web browsing. Not the crap done on tablets and smart phones

I also have a HTPC hooked up to my TV that acts as a media server. The kind that you can log in through Android and watch movies I have stored locally on the drive, or stream cable or ATSC broadcast TV from the capture card I threw in it. An under utilized feature I assure you. Oh and it also hosts a Minecraft server.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you mostly about the keyboard, but the rest makes sense, but I have to be honest that when I first seen smart phones, I thought that stupid, why, I will never need any of that, then I bought my first 2 years ago, and sadly this thing is so damn useful, and the newer have fulfilled s o much of what I use my Desktop for, I think in 3 - 5 if a Tablet can do all of what you listed and game, I don't think I would need a Desktop going forward.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason I have the smartphone that I have is because one day at a Verizon store they told me that if I trade in my old phone and sign on to this plan they had I could get a free iPhone 4. So I figured why the hell not? Its free. If they never told me about that I'd still have my old phone. I couldn't give a rat's ass for smartphones. They're nice yes but do you really need them? All that's important when it comes to cell phones is the calling and texting. People think we need them now because they have grown lazier thanks to these smartphones who do all the work for them. When cell phones came out they were a tool. It let you call anyone from almost anywhere. Now it's become a 6 year old's toy.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Deleted
    I feel like none of the options apply to me, I use it frequently to browse the internet/facebook/9gag when im waiting for someone, music, gps, etc. It's very handy but it hasn't changed me at all and I could do without one, just be annoyed :P