Page 1 of 162
... LastLast

[Megathread] Pokemon GO

Yep. It's real. Made by Niantic, the creators of the mobile game, Ingress.

- - - Updated - - -

This game won't replace the main series games; Jinichi Matsuda said they are hoping to build some sort of connectivity between this game and future games in the main series.

- - - Updated - - -

Pokmeon Go Plus. A Bluetooth watch to allow you to notify of events in the game without having to look at your phone. Basically, looks like a Pokeball on a watchstrap.
    Last edited by johnhoftb; 2015-09-10 at 07:13 AM.

So they took the concept of the handheld games and shifted it to the phone system? The trailer really doesn't show much, imo, other than "supposebly" seeing pokemon everywhere and battling. Unless there's something I missed.

With that said, I wouldn't mind a pokemon type game for the phone.

Also, wonder how much they are charging for it as I'm sure they have to make some money back as Nintendo more than likely wouldn't give them a license to use the characters without some fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    So they took the concept of the handheld games and shifted it to the phone system? The trailer really doesn't show much, imo, other than "supposebly" seeing pokemon everywhere and battling. Unless there's something I missed.

Also, wonder how much they are charging for it as I'm sure they have to make some money back as Nintendo more than likely wouldn't give them a license to use the characters without some fee.
    The basic idea is it's an AR game where Pokemon show up based on your locations. For instance, maybe on your street you can only find Pikachu, but maybe a couple of streets over, you can find some Sentret, or maybe there is a river nearby, and you can catch Goldeen, or an Ocean and Tentacool.

And looking at how Nintendo has gone with it in the past (specifically with Pokemon Shuffle), it will be free-to-start with standard Pokeballs being free with anything stronger being being bought with real money or only as gifts.

Deleted

Yeah I really don't understand what the trailer has to do with the game, other than leaving children disappointed when they realize there will be no actual Pokemon flying around in the real world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    The basic idea is it's an AR game where Pokemon show up based on your locations. For instance, maybe on your street you can only find Pikachu, but maybe a couple of streets over, you can find some Sentret, or maybe there is a river nearby, and you can catch Goldeen, or an Ocean and Tentacool.
    god that sounds awful

And looking at how Nintendo has gone with it in the past (specifically with Pokemon Shuffle), it will be free-to-start with standard Pokeballs being free with anything stronger being being bought with real money or only as gifts.
    god that sounds even worse

"Pokémon Go is free to play but has in-app purchases" - Serebii

Quote Originally Posted by babuschka View Post
    god that sounds awful

god that sounds even worse
    That's mobile gaming in general. Makes you want to spend your money just to get that little boost, but you can do it without having to do so, it might just be harder or takes longer to do.

I've heard of worse in-app purchases though.

While that sounds decent in a game in real life that would get really aggravating. Though I guess it'd encourage the trading system, but being limited to what you can catch yourself is just really limiting, unless you constantly travel.

But from the OP it was saying it was another company that did a google startup. So from that the only thing I gathered was that it has the Pokemon name and theme, but they aren't in charge of development which would mean they'd charge the developers some fee just to use the name.

Quote Originally Posted by babuschka View Post
    Yeah I really don't understand what the trailer has to do with the game, other than leaving children disappointed when they realize there will be no actual Pokemon flying around in the real world.
    Yeah, I can imagine that. I always thought it'd be cool for stuff like Pokemon/Digimon/Yugioh/etc all to be able to visually appear in front of you through some means of virtual reality. This trailer just seems to set up disappointment for someone viewing it thinking that'll happen.

But from the OP it was saying it was another company that did a google startup. So from that the only thing I gathered was that it has the Pokemon name and theme, but they aren't in charge of development which would mean they'd charge the developers some fee just to use the name.
    Niantic was a former Google internal startup, became public, created mobile game Ingress, and are now working on this game with Nintendo and the Pokemon Company helping out. Sorry, if I didn't make it clear enough in the OP. Was trying to get the info out. I provided a link to Niantic's Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niantic,_Inc.

It's kinda like Hyrule Warriors in a sense. A third party development team creates a game based off of a first party Nintendo IP with some insights and oversight from Nintendo themselves.

Deleted
    That bloody advert was useless, didnt show anything.

Niantic was a former Google internal startup, became public, created mobile game Ingress, and are now working on this game with Nintendo and the Pokemon Company helping out. Sorry, if I didn't make it clear enough in the OP. Was trying to get the info out. I provided a link to Niantic's Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niantic,_Inc.

It's kinda like Hyrule Warriors in a sense. A third party development team creates a game based off of a first party Nintendo IP with some insights and oversight from Nintendo themselves.
    Yeah after I posted and read the serebii link it made more sense. I was just too lazy to re-edit my post lol.

But it does make a lot more sense than what I thought it was at first. Either way once more information is released I'll be able to form a better opinion on it. Just right now the trailer and what it sounds like are two completely different things to me. Hopefully it'll turn out decent.

Here, GameExplain did a quick overview of the stream.

How to disappoint multi-millions of people, by Niantic.

Here, GameExplain did a quick overview of the stream.
    Is it sad I found that video more useful than the main one?

https://twitter.com/Sethazillax/stat...68485610602496

@maxezzy_ IF I GOTTA GO TO A STRIP CLUB TO CATCH LOPPUNY AND GARDEVOIR IMA DO IT BRUH
    lol

Words cannot describe how much I want this in and around my mouth.

Wait...so I have to go outside?

Do not want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kings Road View Post

Do not want.
    Pretty much what I thought.

I'll just say this much: I shit myself at seeing the video. Of course, due to social norms and stigma, the game will be severely dampened (unless social norms in Japan are just set very low, in which case I should just move over there now), but I'll definitely be down for this. Curious how those big, timed, events like Mewtwo are going to actually work though, since, unlike animes, not everyone on the entire planet lives in one city.

I really hope it's not because that would ruin the game's progression a lot. I hope it'll be a buy-in price of like $4.99-$9.99. They could easily make this an actual Pokemon game, akin to the main game series. Freemium will ruin an amazing project like this, especially if it has a stupid lives/hearts system.

Do not want.

I'm sure you go outside to take the trash out, get the mail, or drive in your car. You don't have to stay outside constantly, and hell, maybe you'll even have a few 'mons in/around your household!

I just hope this game won't cause a lot of accidents on the road due to idiots looking at their phones for AR Pokemon instead of driving haha.

PS: It's not coming until next year, so don't freak out about it yet, especially with how little information is available on it right now.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2015-09-10 at 08:37 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

we dont get our yearly pokemans but they make this shit? fuck you tendo gimmie my pogeymans way i want my pogeymans
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    we dont get our yearly pokemans but they make this shit? fuck you tendo gimmie my pogeymans way i want my pogeymans
    This is a game made by a third party developer. GameFreak is still working on the main series games and even teased at a possible Generation 7 release next year.

- - - Updated - - -