Poll: Do you agree this would be an improvement?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Improving Naming in WoW

Every NPC and his uncle has a full name.
    Even Garrison Followers do.

Note: The concept of full name depends on many variables.
    Trolls (Vol'jin) usually have a single name.
    Blood Elves (Valeera Sanguinar), Night Elves (Tyrande Whisperwind) and Dwarves (Magni Bronzebeard) usually have a first and last name. Orcs, are more ambivalent. Some (Garrosh/Grommash Hellscream and Varok/Dranosh Saurfang) have first and last name while others (Gul'dan and Ner'zhul) have a single name.
    Draenei usually have a single name accompanied of their status/job (Exarch, Spiritbinder, Artificer, etc).

But our character - the "Commander" - isn't worthy of a proper name...
    No apostrophes, no first and last name, no hifens... no choice.

DISCLAIMER: You would not be forced to have more than one name.

Will Blizzard ever allow us to include spaces ( ), apostrophe (') and/or hifens (-) in our names, with appropriate restrictions?
    I'd assume at least the restrictions below would be necessary to enforce reasonable credibility:
    - Max 2x spaces ( ).
    - Max 1x hifen (-)
    - Max 1x apostrophe (').
    - Max 3 total among any combination of space, hifen and/or comma.
    - Min 3 characters before and after each space ( ).
    - Each name can only have one instance of 3 isolated characters ("Man Uscript" is okay, but "Man Usc Ript" is not).
    - You can have upper case after each space ( ), but it is not enforced as long as there is another space afterwards ("Victor von Doom" okay, "Victor vondoom" not okay).
    - (thanks to Polarthief) You would be limited to 2 Capitals per word, and must have at least 1 lower case between each upper case (McDonald and MacDonald, but no MC Hammer).

Extras:
    - You might be able to determine what part of your name NPCs use to adress you (can even be all of it).
    - As a new restriction, perhaps all similar characters (a, à, á, ã, â, etc) are considered the same for purposes of checking whether a name is taken (Legolas = Lëgólàs).

Examples of Names made possible:
    Vol'jin
    Greven Il-Vec
    Dranosh Saurfang
    Victor von Doom

You cannot make Ar th as or Art has.
    And although you could make Art'has and Art-hasn't, it would actually be less obnoxious than names like "Arthaslol".

EDIT: What about programming issues?
    The only issue I see is when dealing with whispers and macros.

My solution is this:
    - When manually typing an action such as "/w" you are now required to press space ( ) twice after the name to let the game know the name has ended and the message/etc has begun.
    The second space is "eaten" by the script.
    - Macros could require names to be enveloped in (" ").
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2015-09-11 at 05:26 AM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll spend years trying to make a second name. I'm picky as fvck

7+ Year Old Account
    Can i call my Character
    Jessie Anus? or
    Chris Metzen or
    Mike tyson?
    Last edited by Fawkess; 2015-09-11 at 12:58 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    I'll spend years trying to make a second name. I'm picky as fvck
    You wouldn't be forced to have more than one name.
    Those who enjoy their single name can have it.

And if you're worried your unique name "Arthas" is no longer unique as you start seeing "Arthas Lol" and "Arthas Baby", - that already happens right now with Arthaslol and Arthasbaby, anyway.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    You wouldn't be forced to have more than one name.
    Those who enjoy their single name can have it.

And if you're worried your unique name "Arthas" is no longer unique as you start seeing "Arthas Lol" and "Arthas Baby", - that already happens right now with Arthaslol and Arthasbaby, anyway.
    Second names are nice to have, your alts could be part of a family. But I'm not sure sure if Blizz will do it, even though WoW is behind in customization.

It'd be something interesting to ask devs, in regards to character growth and expansion.

- Max 1x comma (" ' ").
    That's an apostrophe, not a comma. , <=== that's a comma.

OT: Lift some of those restrictions. Allow ~3-4 apostrophes (have you SEEN some Troll/Orc names?!), 2 spaces, allow 1 additional capital letter that isn't the first letter of a name, per "name" (some names have 2 capitals and no spaces, such as "MacDonald") (the "per name" part means both the fore/surname both get a max of 2 capital letters: The first and one additional wherever you want it), etc.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Our characters are so famous we don't need a second name. We're like Teller (from Penn and Teller fame) or Cher. Not every NPC in the game has a second name anyway. Yrel doesn't have one nor does Velen (as far as I'm aware). Nor does Thrall/Go'el.

Besides, let people have hyphens, apostrophes, etc and people will abuse the naming policy more than they already do. Blizzard gives the trolls enough toys to play with as it is. Don't need to add in even more ability for them to abuse insulting others via names or using copyrighted names or celebrity names or existing lore character names. No one reads the name policy as it is. They don't need more avenues to bypass the name filter to get a name that is actually not allowed.

Only place I can see apostrophes being allowed is with trolls, the odd orc, and blood elves who use them with their own names, but allowing it for like 2-3 races and not the rest isn't fair. So better to not allow it at all.

It'd be easier for Blizzard to do an account wide legacy name (family or surname) which is shared by all characters on your account much like SWTOR does, but again, people would use it for obscene names. Blizzard fails with the name filter as it is. Add in another layer to it and things will get even worse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by guardian_titan View Post
    Yrel doesn't have one nor does Velen
    Most Draenei don't usually have last names. They focus on unique names and complete them with Titles/Job/Position.
    Trolls don't focus on last names either, but they often have apostrophes (') in their names (Vol'jin, Zul'jin).

But my suggestion isn't focused on last names. It's focused on proper names.

And as I said - you would NOT be forced to have more than one name.
    It is simply wrong to force players to have extremely limited name customization, when NPCs all around us have detailed names.
    Specially Dwarves, Blood Elves and Night Elves, who give a lot of importance to their last name.

Sure, you could determine WHAT part of your name NPCs treat you as "John Carter" as "Commander John" or "Commander Carter".
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2015-09-11 at 01:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    us roleplayers use MRP for that
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Will Blizzard ever allow us to include spaces ( ), apostrophe (') and/or hifens (-) in our names, with appropriate restrictions?
    I really doubt it, I've hardly ever heard of the devs discussing this topic.

I would prefer to have a full name for one thing it makes finding a usable name easier but I don't see them adding that to the game.

Deleted
    Would love to see say 1 hyphen or apostrophe(not both in one name) and 1 additional capital letter allowed in character names. capital letter might have to limited to be after the hyphen or apostrophe to avoid people making phrases.

Spaces should not be allowed, unless they more heavily enforce naming policy. Spaces just make phrases and sentences to easy.

last names should be a title-esque feature which is account wide, with extra "last name slots" locked behind certain achievements.

the trick is keeping abuse in check without increasing GM work load on name policing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    last names should be a title-esque feature which is account wide, with extra "last name slots" locked behind certain achievements.
    That could work too instead of spaces.

Oh please, yes!

Cant wait to be named Kil'with Power....

Madness will consume you!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I like your idea, if you can just remove these two. Not talking about the maximum or minimum, I am talking not to be there at all.

- Max 1x hifen (-)
    - Max 1x apostrophe
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they don't allow the name Dick I don't care about other options. They ignore the fact that Dick still is an actual name (even in English).
    Yet on the other hand I come across characters with names like (Since Blizz allows them I'd expect MMOC to accept them too):
    - Kut (rude word for vagina in Dutch)
    - Lul (rude for penis in Dutch)
    - Klootzak (Dutch equivalent of A-hole)
    - Arschloch (A-hole in German)
    - Votze (German rude word for vagina)
    - Schwanz (German rude word for penis)
    - Con (Basically Ass in French
    - Putain/Pute (whore in French)
    - Niquetamere (Nique Ta Mere means F* your mother in French)
    - Asshole (which is English even?)
    - Cunt (wtf?)
    - Whore
    - Dick (apparently allowed on some servers)
    - Fuck

I realize that some may be on non-English regions, but still.... why not allow the name Dick on English servers since it IS a name in the English languages (and others too).

I'd be ok with allowing full names.

I ended up with a funny looking name on my main because I tried to do an RP thing and give my character a full name. Problem was....the character creation actually did allow you to put spaces in a character name. But then when you actually logged in on that character, you'd find that the space was gone with the names just squished together as one word.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do think WoW's naming system is perfect.
    So ugly to look at xXx_052NinjaAssassin_xXx
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    The game has servers to do that kind of stuff and it's playerbase is a small minority, there's not much point to half-arsedly implement it to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    but still.... why not allow the name Dick on English servers since it IS a name in the English languages (and others too).
    Ohhhh I could tell you why not.. But Im afraid Ill get banned.. Just imagine the possibilities.. Big.. Huge.. Delicious.. lol and those are just the softcore ones..

Its truly unfortunate that a simple name also means something so dirty, so yeah it makes sense they don't allow it (Not sure why on some realms they do tho)

And regarding all the other words in your list well.. I supose they dont pay too much attention of possible swear words in other languages, but even if they do lets face it.. There are just SOOOO MANY that some are bound to "get away"...

I would be really happy if they allowed us to add just one space ( ) and maybe a couple more characters to the 15 limit.. Thats all I ask for..
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Because the random name generator might pump out Lortfanden, which sounds like a pretty generic fantasy Warrior name in English, until you realize it means "Shit Fuck" in Danish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    WoD is worse than leveling in Hellfire Peninsula in a PvP Server where your faction sucks.