Mythic Disc Help

Hi all,

I just recently recruited a new disc priest as our old one had issues making raid on time.

Could someone with more knowledge of the spec please assist me?

Some notes
    Here's the armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...theia/advanced
    - He does not have any other trinkets right now
    - This person rerolled about 2 weeks ago from Rshaman
    - I know he needs to penance more, but could someone tell me more? Offensively? On a player? Off of CD? Or save it?
    - I got word he should probably use halo for velhari..

Logs:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...AWr6Q#fight=37

Thank you for all of your input! Anything helps.

Oh, if you go through any of his other logs I believe he may have been trying different things. If you're referencing a specific log please link it/then comment on what can be done.
    When reaching for the future, we sometimes fall into the past. As we gaze upon events that can not be changed, our hearts grow bitter with regret.
    .:eyara:.

Taking a look now, will edit my post when done.

So just taking a look at Iron Reaver

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...sts&source=178

Their PW: S started off great but really just fell off towards the end. Their CPM is kinda low however they seem to be casting smite a lot more than they need to.

AA is great on this attempt, held EAA awhile at the end, but it happens sometimes.

Overall for this boss, way more PW:S

There are really only 2 fights to look at really. They seem to be doing fine, just need to fine tune timings and use PW: S mroe.
    Last edited by Djriff; 2015-09-11 at 04:36 AM.

Thank ya! =)
    When reaching for the future, we sometimes fall into the past. As we gaze upon events that can not be changed, our hearts grow bitter with regret.

Quote Originally Posted by nectarine View Post
    Hi all,

I just recently recruited a new disc priest as our old one had issues making raid on time.

Could someone with more knowledge of the spec please assist me?

Some notes
    Here's the armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...theia/advanced
    - He does not have any other trinkets right now
    - This person rerolled about 2 weeks ago from Rshaman
    - I know he needs to penance more, but could someone tell me more? Offensively? On a player? Off of CD? Or save it?
    - I got word he should probably use halo for velhari..

Logs:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...AWr6Q#fight=37

Thank you for all of your input! Anything helps.

Oh, if you go through any of his other logs I believe he may have been trying different things. If you're referencing a specific log please link it/then comment on what can be done.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...Q#type=healing

Starting with the easy fights:

1) AA uptime is fine, the problem is his CPM. Reaver is a fight where disc priests get to spam from start to end, and it will all generally be effective healing. As a rule of thumb, disc priests should have 55+ CPM on fights where they get to use Words of Mending, 50+ once you adjust for Penance ticks each counting for one cast. He's currently at 40 even counting for each Penance tick as a cast.
    2) Solace usage leaves much to be desired. Generally, if the user is going to cast it less than 5 times per minute, Mindbender is the better choice as it requires less maintenance by the user. Alternatively, just cast it more! I believe there's a disc weakaura thread somewhere in the forum.
    3) Penance should be used offensively during periods of low damage, or nearing the end of damaging mechanics, assuming there are no imminent deaths. Learning to min max when exactly to offensive Penance and defensive Penance will significantly cut down on the reliance on smiting to achieve 5 stacks - 28 casts on a ~6 minute encounter is a lot more than the average, and should be closer to about ~2 casts maximum per minute, if not lesser.
    4) Halo should be used instead of Cascade. Cascade loves to bounce to pets(see here to be shocked), and generally heals less than a single PW:S cast. Halo on the other hand, if used at the right time when the raid is taking damage, can easily heal for 50% to 100%++ more than PW:S.
    5) Aside from all that, he needs to cast his filler spells(PW:S) a lot more. 55 casts for a 6 minute encounter is incredibly low.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ce=20&fight=37

Now, to Velhari:

1) This encounter is basically hinging on the disc being able to keep the tanks and to a lesser extent, the Touch of Harm targets hale and healthy, because of that, on progression most disc priests will inevitably find themselves a lot lower on the meters because they are focusing on said extremely pertinent assignments - it is okay to be low as a disc priest on this fight. Now, I am not sure why your disc priest swapped from Clarity of Will to Words of Mending, when Clarity of Will is an extremely potent tool to keep the tanks alive during P2/P3, especially P3 where they get trucked. Tell him that if he swapped to Words of Mending because it looks like he's not looking good on the meters, to ignore the meters.
    2) Divine Star - is perfectly fine, if not *the* talent on this encounter as you can't really run out randomly anyway. Most disc priests take this talent for this encounter.
    3) Prayer of Healing - here, your disc seems to be falling behind slightly on EAA(Empowered Archangel) PoH casts, which is also a side effect of falling behind on the Archangel uptimes, as he is hovering at around ~45% uptime for it.
    4) Penance should be primarily used defensively this encounter, and it seems that, while fortunately due to the efforts of your Holy Pally and Mistweaver your raid doesn't have a problem with Touch of Harm, your disc should endeavor harder to track down ToH targets to defensive Penance and PW:S at least. See link for more info, which tracks healing/shielding done to ToH targets.
    5) Same as the Iron Reaver audit, the disc doesn't cast enough even after switching from CoW. 47 CPM essentially means that the caster is sitting around doing nothing for ~10 seconds every minute - Always Be Casting!
    6) Smite/Solace - as usual, Smite should be kept to 2 casts per minute or below. It's okay to activate AA without 5 stacks, Solace casts also need to be a bit higher.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Thank you very much for your detailed response.

Quote Originally Posted by nectarine View Post
    Thank you very much for your detailed response.
    hey this is us!

here's all his logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...latest/#boss=0

sucks that he had to reroll but thanks for all the help

edit: im pretty sure the iron reaver log you guys are looking at is not the same person Trictoz != Litheia (tricttoz is the alt of someone in our guild helping out a friends guild, seems like he just didnt stop logging)

Quote Originally Posted by InkarnateKT View Post
    hey this is us!

here's all his logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...latest/#boss=0

sucks that he had to reroll but thanks for all the help

edit: im pretty sure the iron reaver log you guys are looking at is not the same person Trictoz != Litheia (tricttoz is the alt of someone in our guild helping out a friends guild, seems like he just didnt stop logging)
    Well, Iron Reaver is a fight that doesn't matter anyway if you are on Velhari, just focus on the velhari critique instead.

Aside from that, very similar problems crop up on Litheia's other parses:
    1) High smite casts
    2) Low CPM
    3) Low Penance uptime
    4) Varying uptimes on Solace

Also, a lot of the slow deaths targets in Litheia's parses generally did not receive a direct absorb or heal from him(e.g. PW:S, defensive Penance, Flash Heal in a pinch when Weakened Soul is up) - this can only come with more practice at reacting faster to imminent deaths.

After every kill or wipe I make it a habit to check my death log and sniff out the slow deaths(~5s or more); such deaths that do not receive a direct heal/absorb from me would then considered a big misplay on my part and I would remind myself pay more attention in future attempts.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2015-09-11 at 09:03 PM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future