Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's already been said but he pays rent, legally give him a written 30 day notice and he has to be out. You have allowed him to be a resident there so if he makes it a legal issue you must give him that 30 days. But he has had plenty of time, toss his ass out and tell your mother in law to shove it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not much I can add here.

Tell him to put on his big boy pants, and start looking for a place. Also ask him to not exaggerate things to his mother, that's an asshole move.

Don't give him a DEADline, but say it would be nice if he could make it sooner rather than later.

Great site for this: padmapper.com

of course, craigslist.org is a good site too (padmapper pulls their listings too).

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been waiting for my roommate to move out and he never did. I started looking at other places and am moving out myself. If you are renting you could just move without bringing him along.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    I've been waiting for my roommate to move out and he never did. I started looking at other places and am moving out myself. If you are renting you could just move without bringing him along.
    Depends who's on the lease...!

I take it he's actually paying part of the rent? Is he actually out pretty often? Does he spend most of his time in his room or out with you?

If that's the case and he's out pretty often then just let it be. Move the TV into the bedroom or talk your wife into playing wingwoman and getting him set up with a girl that he can then move in with.

Also increase communication with the wife if you haven't been. Explain why it bothers you that he's around, that he's in a solid place and that you'd like more alone time.

For your MIL, tell her that it's ruining the mood and if she wants grandkids she'd best join your side.

my brother in law did the exact opposite and stayed with us as little as possible until he found a place to live of his own... soooo dont have any advice to give you other than talk to him about it honestly. i know how you feel though about your wife. my brother in law stayed with us for a little bit right before we got married and he moved out a couple weeks before hand so luckily we had a couple weeks of alone time before the wedding.

If it's not bothering your wife much, things are going to be kind of rough dealing with that whole side of the family. Why isn't he living with his own mother?

Have a talk with your wife, tell her about your concerns ("We're recently married but have virtually no privacy here, it's been 6 months and he's not even looking,"). This can't turn out to be you against her whole family.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

10+ Year Old Account
    Something like this happened to me not so long ago.

My brother let me live with his wife and 2 kids (which I love)
    I know that people can sometimes be a burden.
    Got a job and moved out 2-3 weeks after he I moved in with him. He thought I didn't want to live with him. Truth is, even though it's implicit, families don't like strangers or other people in their houses

Kick him out NOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, without starting a huge inter-family brawl, you are just gonna have to wait it out.

you could nudge him in the right direction, even help him find a new place. you sound like the only person in the situation that has anything negative to say, so as the old saying goes 'if you want it done right, do it your damn self' and help him along.

or you could belly-ache on a forum. which ever gets the job done faster i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure where you're located and what the eviction laws are, but I would be careful and make you can actually legally do this or you could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Tell him to rent a room off of craigslist. Boom. Done

10+ Year Old Account
    Put him to work, clean the house, cook, organize your things. And make him write down a list of places he has looked every day, and write down in detail why he didn't it was the right place.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Tell him that he is 7 days to find a place to live or else you will call the cops on him..
    Cops can't do anything in this situation.

At least he is paying and not wrecking the place, be thankful

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    It's already been said but he pays rent,
    True but are there receipts? I highly doubt it, if there aren't then you can't prove he pays rent.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not your mother in law's house, it's yours. If you feel his welcome is worn out tell him. Damn anyone who says otherwise in regards of how you and your wife want to live. But do try to be tactful about getting him to move out.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    True but are there receipts? I highly doubt it, if there aren't then you can't prove he pays rent.
    Doesn't need them.

If he receives mail there he's legally entitled to 30 days written notice. After that you can have the cops throw his ass out.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I've been in this exact same situation. I don't know how your wife feels about it, but mine wanted him to move. So, we started having really loud sex all the time. Something about hearing his sister scream "oh yeas baby, you fuck me so good" convinced him to move the fuck out.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Holycloud View Post
    Brother-in-law is a mooch
    I can think of four options, though your wife needs to be on board with this too or it will either not work or blow up in your face:

1) Give him a written eviction notice, giving him 30 days to move out. 31 day call the cops and have him removed.
    2) Have you and your wife and he sit down and tell him that he has worn out his welcome and that your marriage is suffering because he is invading your home.
    3) Next time he leaves, change the locks, move his stuff out to a storage facility and pay for one month of storage for his stuff, then hand him the key when he comes back to your home.
    4) You and your wife find a new place to live, and then leave him the apartment, and move out right out from underneath him. Afterwards never let him into your home as a short or medium term guest again.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.