Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

So we reach a divine state-now what!?

With the idea of posthumanism or ascending form or status of that of what we'd consider "divine". What will happen once we reach that point? Will we be creators and create entirely new species of sapience? Terraform planets? What exactly are we supposed to do with the power and wisdom, I of course have my ideas, but what about yours?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, you're going to get just absolutely-fucking-face-crushed here. But I'll give you an honest answer before the basement dwellers chew you up.

At the point that our species evolves into a divine state, we will not longer be needing terraformed planets. In fact, at this stage of our evolution, we have no idea what our goals will or should be after we achieve a "divine" state.

We wouldn't and shouldn't. It's arrogant and dangerous to try in my opinion. We are men, we are not gods and if there were a way for a mortal to attain godhood, it would not be through computer science or genetic engineering. Perhaps human consciousness could become godlike within a self-created -digital- realm, but I wouldn't wish that on humanity.

Descend into abject hedonism.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Well, you're going to get just absolutely-fucking-face-crushed here. But I'll give you an honest answer before the basement dwellers chew you up.

At the point that our species evolves into a divine state, we will not longer be needing terraformed planets. In fact, at this stage of our evolution, we have no idea what our goals will or should be after we achieve a "divine" state.
    Faced-crushed? I've participated in plenty of conversations on this forum similar to this one. Granted I show some ignorance, I'm not perfect in the slightest definition of the word, but I'm talking amongst people I've known for a while, not bathing a tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

^ 2nding this. to go along with it there is the question; will we even recognize that we are, in what past humans might consider, a "divine state?" Just look at civilization now vs 1000 years ago. We can do things now that ancient humans would think us Gods for. But we have no self recognition for this change, we simply look at history, call it "progress," and move on with our lives.

Deleted
    Nothing will happen, we will not reach that point, transhumanism is a just-so-story, Kurzweil is a loon who has no clue about neuroscience.

Shit, is there like periods of the day where more intelligent people are out? I seem to recall more intelligent people on this forum.

Divine my ass. Next step is merely transcending the bounds of the physical and lose the chains of the animal body. Longevity and freedom of movement is the next step. Not godhead. That comes later, if enough people stick around to research it.

After that? Do what every god has done since eternity: make your own universe and piss off for a while; then when you get bored, abandon it and take a look at what others did for a while. Then, ultimately, go to sleep because there's shit all to do.

Messing around with mortals gets boring after an aeon or so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, humans will become bored and proceed to reset. Another big bang yay

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Shit, is there like periods of the day where more intelligent people are out? I seem to recall more intelligent people on this forum.
    My response is the only one you'll get that makes sense.

Once all physical limitations are removed, the only thing left to do is seek out pleasure for the sake of pleasure's sake, in whatever form that takes for the individual.

Though presumably, this would involve constant ideological conflict among the divines, as opposing goals clash, which means... it probably wouldn't be very different from how the world looks today, from a behavioural perspective. The actors involved would just be a lot more powerful.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    If we live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno, but people will find something to fight over.

How does a god kill another god?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    With the idea of posthumanism or ascending form or status of that of what we'd consider "divine". What will happen once we reach that point? Will we be creators and create entirely new species of sapience? Terraform planets? What exactly are we supposed to do with the power and wisdom, I of course have my ideas, but what about yours?
    Wage war on each other with ascendant weapons of destruction on a universal scale.
    ~RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Dunno, but people will find something to fight over.

How does a god kill another god?
    Very carefully.
    hey

Being truly divine is incomprehensible for most people. Once you transcend human limitations, you realize how irrelevant most of our desires/ambitions are.

• We'd no longer age
    • We'd no longer be born or die (if we wished to create another being we could just will it, although it would be meaningless at that point)
    • We'd have no fear, anger, greed, etc.
    • We'd have no need for food, rest, oxygen, etc.
    • We'd lose our individuality (we'd all have the exact same knowledge/feelings or lack thereof/thoughts/etc.)
    • We'd have no need to communicate with each other anymore (we'd basically be a hive-mind as we'd all be on the exact same wavelength)
    • We'd know everything including the past and future
    • We'd view everything in a robotic fashion, with no regard for meaningless actions ("fun" is born of selfish desires to entertain oneself which we'd be above if we were truly divine)

Think of characters like Spock or Dr. Manhattan only to a MUCH higher degree.

Without something to drive us (goals, usually born out of need or desire) "life" would become meaningless. Humans are driven to constantly improve (think the anime TTGL). Once we achieved divinity, there'd be nothing left. The journey would be over. If you've ever reached a goal you've worked long and hard for you've got a small taste of that bittersweetness (you finally have what you wanted all along, but now what?).
    Last edited by Maconi; 2015-09-12 at 06:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyosaugh View Post
    Very carefully.
    I dunno, I'd think it'd take something more apocalyptic.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Transcend the boundary between our waifus in the 2D world, of course. What a stupid question.

its obvious, the cycle starts over again...

Considering a lot of people think we're the center of the universe, and humans are above everything else... [example; Animals don't have souls] and what not... a lot of humans, or perhaps the species in general, are just sadly narcissistic.