Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

How can people laugh about the deaths of others?

9/11 jokes... drowned syrian boy jokes... etc.

People make fun of how thousands died at 9/11. It doesn't even matter if you think it was a government conspiracy or a real assault, people still died. People that had no connection with the terrorists or the government, people who were doing their best to live their lives. And they died. Some in horrible ways. Yet people make fun of their deaths! Sure, maybe those dead might not care, but I'm sure their families, their friends, the survivors, they do care. And every year even if they try to pass this dreadful moment where someone died they are reminded of it through tasteless jokes.
    People make fun of the little syrian boy who died drowned. Sure maybe his parents could have taken a better route, and maybe you don't like immigrants (I don't like them much either) but that boy had no fault. He didn't carry the sins of his fathers or of anyone else. Yes, he was an immigrant, but it wasn't his choice, it wasn't like he could have decided to remain there when his parents carried him away. Yet people made jokes of his drowning even before he was buried. As I said, I don't like the fact that so many immigrants are coming either, but I don't make fun of when one dies. That's tasteless, it's rude, it's wrong.
    And there are many more examples, but these 2 are recent.

So, overall, how can people laugh at the deaths of others? How can people not care even enough to at least not make fun of their deaths? I don't expect people to send flowers or send support to the relatives, but at least they can do is not make fun of a tragic situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lack of empathy (If thats the correct word) and/or dont care about people they dont know.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Deleted
    I sometimes make jokes about such topics when amongst people who I know can laugh at it, you won't see me making jokes about them in public though. Even though I don't do it I don't see why it's an issue...it doesn't harm anyone.

With all the shit and misery we see every day the least we can do is laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Xistenz View Post
    Most of 'em wouldn't pull jokes IRL tho. It's just internet...
    This, no one would have the balls to make a 9/11 joke to a firefighter or a cop in NYC.

Most of em are fat or skinny fat neckbeards with jizz stained shorts on making those comments.

Trolling.

/thread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Robster View Post
    Lack of empathy (If thats the correct word) and/or dont care about people they dont know.
    That is true for me, I rarely care about things that don't effect my life. I decided this for myself around the age of 14 or 15 when I saw some someones head cut off on the internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Likuidz View Post
    This, no one would have the balls to make a 9/11 joke to a firefighter or a cop in NYC.

Most of em are fat or skinny fat neckbeards with jizz stained shorts on making those comments.
    It's not a joke anymore when your intend is to hurt someone, telling the joke specific to someone who was attached to said event is a horrible thing to do.

Deleted
    Couple of potential reasons...

1. Humour is sometimes how people cope with horrific situations. Not thinking about the individuals, their friends, and their families, and making light of a situation is one way of dealing with grief or fear.

2. People are removed from these situations. It's not their mum dying. It's some faceless human being, one of a billion. If everyone cared deeply about every single other person on the planet they'd probably go insane. People focus on the things closest to them and thus joking about one dead boy they never met wouldn't feel the same as joking about their own kid dying and people often don't have empathy for strangers.

3. And this is probably the most likely one for a lot of things... People on the internet are dicks and often say stuff to shock, troll, or just get a response. Sometimes people get a kick out of knowing they've upset / offended someone and the best way to counter it is not give them the attention or response they crave. It doesn't necessarily reflect what most people would do in person, nor is it an adequate cross section of people either.

Eminem does;

Eminem - Criminal

"You can't miss me, I'm white, blonde-haired and my nose is pointy
    I'm the bad guy who makes fun of people that die
    In plane crashes and laughs as long as it ain't happened to him"

Deleted
    How can people think they should be allowed to judge what other people find funny?

What one person finds funny is, at the very least, as instinctive and innate as what colours people like, being gay or not, what food someone likes, etc

What gives anyone the right to judge what makes other people laugh.

If you want to censor humour, you're the same kind of authoritarian asshole who used to be racist/homophobic/etc under the guise of "morality" in the past.

Now you've just found a new outlet for being an authoritarian douchebag, and that's by being a SJW parading under the guise of "morality" to restrict things you don't like.
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-09-12 at 01:04 PM.

Internet anonymity.

Deleted
    Eminem calls himself a wigga.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who are you to censor what other people find funny?

Being offended by something doesn't give you special rights to prevent other individuals from cracking jokes about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Likuidz View Post
    irl

I have no problem making politically incorrect or offensive jokes, but does not mean I do not understand where it is and is not warranted.
    But that is the spirit of a joke. It is about pointing out the truth in a cynical way. If it offends people, it offends them. Most jokes are opinionated but the spirit of a joke is freedom of speech. I can and will make a joke about anything. The subject is not what makes a joke funny, it is the rhetoric of the joke that does. Just the same, I have heard a few jokes against jews that were pretty funny (most aren't) but does not mean a joke about safe or menial objects is or is not always funny.

My point is the subject rarely matters, it is how he joke is presented. I feel if the joke was legitimately funny, most people would laugh despite the subject. However these same people who do make politically incorrect jokes do not make them when they are not appropriate. When it is on the internet, it varies because everyone is open to all conversations so you can be walk into an environment, like a forum thread, where the joke may have been warranted, but then you came in and were thrown back, or vice versa.

Humor is a kind of transcendence of the human condition.

The position that life is meaningful by default is faulty. Belief in this fallacy is what causes a degree of dissonance between those whom hold social, cultural or even personal custom/tradition in regard as objectively meaningful.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-09-12 at 01:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Death is just part of life. And laughing at it, makes it easier to accept your own mortality.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't laugh about 9/11 the terrorists have won.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    9/11 jokes are just plane wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Funny and true. Terrorists only win if their repressive, fear-based, anti-freedom values are allowed to flourish.

Don't let them win, make more 911 jokes. 4chan is waiting

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meowzer22 View Post
    9/11 jokes are just plane wrong.
    I see what you did there. :P