Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rumor – CD Projekt RED To Sign A Publishing Deal Or Be Bought By Electronic Arts

A CD Projekt RED employee has contacted us about a really interesting story. Now before continuing, take everything you’re about to read with a grain of salt. CD Projekt RED’s employee provided us with his payslip in order to prove his identity, so this is – most probably – the real deal. For obvious reasons we can’t share the full payslip as we want to protect this employee.

According to CD Projekt RED’s employee, Electronic Arts representatives are currently visiting CD Projekt RED and meeting with the top management.

“I’m employee of CDProjekt Red and I have some bad news to share with you. Our management is probably talking with Electronic Arts about potential take over. Electronic Arts representatives are currently visiting our studio and meeting with top management. We are not going to release any game soon, so for sure it’s not about any publishing deal, so the only possible reason for EA guys being here is that they want to buy us.”

CD Projekt RED’s next title is no other than Cyberpunk 2077.

Whether EA is meeting with CD Projekt RED for a potential publishing deal regarding this title remains a mystery. It’s also unclear whether EA plans to buy CD Projekt RED.

Moreover, these meeting could very well be for a potential/future digital distribution deal between Origin and GOG.

What is crystal clear, however, is that EA is in talks with CDPR.

As said, take everything you’ve just read with a grain of salt!

UPDATE:

CD Projekt RED’s Marcin Momot responded to this rumor, suggesting that it’s false. Do note that Marcin Momot also denied the downgrade rumors surrounding The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt prior to the game’s release. Whether this is an attempt at damage control or not remains to be seen.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rumor-...ectronic-arts/

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk
    Please, for the love god let this not be true.

Origin on GoG?
    Cyberpunk fucked?
    One of the few good developers who genuinely care for their playerbase left, taken by EA and run into the ground like Mythic, bullfrog, Westwood and Maxis?

Here's a prayer to it ending up just being a rumor, for the love of everything good in the world let it be a just a rumor.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the.../1100-6430539/

Already officially denied. The statement from the anonymous dude was dubious at best, anyways. Seriously, DSO decided to run that story for clicks, not because it makes a lick of sense or checks out in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the.../1100-6430539/

Already officially denied. The statement from the anonymous dude was dubious at best, anyways. Seriously, DSO decided to run that story for clicks, not because it makes a lick of sense or checks out in the slightest.
    Well like DSO updated the article with, Marcin Momot have lied and denied downgrade on TW3 before, which was caught red-handed.
    I'm not too well known with DSO so i can't judge wether this is just clickbait bullshit or not aswell.

I'm not buying into it just yet, but i take Momot's statement with a grain of salt aswell, i can see EA giving them a offer they can't resist.

EDIT: Actually, i can trust CDPR to not sell out that much.
    I'll take Momot's statement for truth, feel free to close the thread then.
    Last edited by Strangebrew; 2015-09-14 at 06:11 PM.

I'm skeptical of both sides, considering the history and or lack of evidence to support such claims. Either way, all I know is I really don't want EA to take over CDPR...

10+ Year Old Account
    If they wanted more money for bigger projects they would've reached out with the witcher 3 they didn't so no cause for alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    If they wanted more money for bigger projects they would've reached out with the witcher 3 they didn't so no cause for alarm.
    Unless EA see potential to create Witcher 4, 5, 6, and then ruin the entire franchise?

Honestly, assuming there was a meeting at all, the most likely reason would have been for the EA Partner publishing program for Cyberpunk 2077, with EA interested in handling the publishing/marketing for it when it launches in however many years.

But that's assuming there was a meeting, which at this point is still up in the air.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rumor-...ectronic-arts/

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk
    Please, for the love god let this not be true.

Origin on GoG?
    Cyberpunk fucked?
    One of the few good developers who genuinely care for their playerbase left, taken by EA and run into the ground like Mythic, bullfrog, Westwood and Maxis?

Here's a prayer to it ending up just being a rumor, for the love of everything good in the world let it be a just a rumor.
    Well like DSO updated the article with, Marcin Momot have lied and denied downgrade on TW3 before, which was caught red-handed.
    I'm not too well known with DSO so i can't judge wether this is just clickbait bullshit or not aswell.

I'm not buying into it just yet, but i take Momot's statement with a grain of salt aswell, i can see EA giving them a offer they can't resist.

EDIT: Actually, i can trust CDPR to not sell out that much.
    I'll take Momot's statement for truth, feel free to close the thread then.

Anyone else lol about this. They care so much about their player base they lie about something obvious.......

Well, assuming it was a meeting, i can see CDPR trying to sell off GoG atleast, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Anyone else lol about this. They care so much about their player base they lie about something obvious.......
    Community manager =/= Developers.

Well, assuming it was a meeting, i can see CDPR trying to sell off GoG atleast, that wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Why? It looks like it's still a successful/profitable platform for CDPR, and it fills a niche that EA would have little to no interest in.

I can't imagine EA wants any of the tech behind it, either. What would EA stand to gain from that?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Community manager =/= Developers.

You think a CM can speak without approval from above?

Add BioWare to this list.

I think CDProjekt RED's retail paranoia would be a nice addition to EA's other personality quirks.

At least someone at EA wouldn't be above just copying Dark Souls' controls for the next Witcher game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Unless EA see potential to create Witcher 4, 5, 6, and then ruin the entire franchise?
    Honestly, with how well the Witcher did commercially, it'd be silly not to want a cut of that.

Why? It looks like it's still a successful/profitable platform for CDPR, and it fills a niche that EA would have little to no interest in.

I can't imagine EA wants any of the tech behind it, either. What would EA stand to gain from that?
    You can't see EA wanting to get their hands on the GoG platform? I dunno, i can see EA wanting to get their hands it when Origin isn't exactly doing so well.
    Hell, might just be EA wanting to bring more games to GoG.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    You think a CM can speak without approval from above?
    Considering i have seen several CM's who have done so past, why not? (Dina says hello)
    Even then, management=/=developers.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Add BioWare to this list.
    I would, but there is alot of biodrones around these parts who refuse to aknowledge what a shitty developer bioware have become compared to pre-EA bioware.
    Last edited by Strangebrew; 2015-09-14 at 06:40 PM.

One of the few good developers who genuinely care for their playerbase left, taken by EA and run into the ground like Mythic...
    HAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Mythic had never in the entirety of its history given 1 single solitary shit about any of their playerbases. I started playing their games during the '96 beta and I can assure you that without EA, all of their legacy titles would have disappeared far sooner than they actually did. People are delusional if they think EA "ruined" Mythic Gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    I think CDProjekt RED's retail paranoia would be a nice addition to EA's other personality quirks.

At least someone at EA wouldn't be above just copying Dark Souls' controls for the next Witcher game.
    Dark Souls controls would be horrendous for Witcher.

We saw Blizzard games suffer a decline in overall quality and content output after the merge with Activision and we saw BioWare decline in quality as well. I hope and pray that this has no ounce of truth to it, I do not want to watch CDPR go down the same path as Blizzard and BioWare.

You can't see EA wanting to get their hands on the GoG platform? I dunno, i can see EA wanting to get their hands it when Origin isn't exactly doing so well.
    Origin is doing fine. EA has shifted around 75% of their revenue to digital, which includes Origin. That's huge and it puts EA on very firm footing as the shift to digital continues in the industry.

Beyond that, how does the library of GOG fit into EA's strategy/portfolio? They're DRM free games, and primarily older ones at that. That's not the direction EA has been moving for a long time now, so it would make little sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beyond that, how does the library of GOG fit into EA's strategy/portfolio? They're DRM free games, and primarily older ones at that. That's not the direction EA has been moving for a long time now, so it would make little sense.
    More revenue is more revenue?