In need of a new smartphone with focus on camera

Not sure if this is the correct forum. But its sorta kinda a tiny computer per say ;p. Don't judge me.

Anyways. I am doing a lot of metal detecting with a metal detector. And i have bad eyesight. From time to time i get a coin that is hard to see. My brother got a samsung s5 active and he uses his camera to snap a picture of the coin and zoom in and can identify the coin easier. The camera on that phone is rather good. I do not want to switch operator and my operator do not sell the s5 active. And i can't really afford buying it in a store. Need to be one of those Operator deals kinda things.

I have been looking at both the samsung galaxy s6 and the s6 edge+. Anyone know how the camera is on those ? Is it as good or better than the s5 active camera ?

How is it compared to sony xperia z1 which i have ? (my macro pictures just arent clear enough to be able to zoom in enough to be able to identify coins and such.

I have been watching a lot of sites and tests and such. But to be honest. I simply do not know anything about Phones. Call me Jon Snow if ye like.
    The only thing i know is that i want a android phone with a really good camera.

Any suggestions ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m probably going to get torn to pieces for this, but the new iPhone 6s is coming out on september 25th, and it has the most powerful camera in a phone on the market, bar none.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Deleted
    Why not get something like
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSC-QX3...dp_ob_title_ce

Has optical zoom which is basically what you are after, digital zoom to get decent scaled detailed photos needs a truck ton of mega pixels and smart phones just lack this still for digital zooms not to mention its small sensor.

Have you ever thought about just getting a good point and shoot camera like the sony HX 50/60.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    I’m probably going to get torn to pieces for this, but the new iPhone 6s is coming out on september 25th, and it has the most powerful camera in a phone on the market, bar none.
    I can't stand sony as a company, but their imaging sensor takes a shit on anything apple releases. I dislike both companies but there is no doubting sony has the upper hand here. I also wouldn't pay 600-700 USD for a phone without carrier support to split that cost up. The only way iPhones 6S camera was better then anything else on the market was if they were using the same sensor that goes into the Z5, which is EXTREMELY unlikely, given thats a 23MP sensor.

If you don't mind shelling out, the Z3, or soon Z5 are probably the best camera's you find, unless theres other phones using sonys imaging sensor (I remember seeing a few). The only problem been is they don't provider carrier support, so if you want the phone, you HAVE to dish out full price for the phone, which is not cheap.

Edit : Ah yeah > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bl/description using sonys sensor and starts shipping next month, maybe wait for some hands on reviews. It's looking to be a good phone from what i've heard.
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2015-09-14 at 07:41 PM.

Deffo some great advices here. And since camera is really the main thing i need. And my phone sorta still works fine as a phone and im not really using the phone for apps and such i might actually look more into the the sony attachable camera.

Or even the Nikon Coolpix p900. It got amazing zoom. But ive not really seen any tests or how it is on small items up close.

Get a magnifying glass. It'll be a lot cheaper.

Deleted
    The sony HX 50/60 has insane zoom, I own this as well

heres a video example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58SYJ2CtFo

not my footage

- - - Updated - - -

It has 30 x optical zoom, it does have digital zoom but I will be surprised if you even need to go beyond optical.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYOHltiToNk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Any suggestions ?
    since you mentioned a phone brand that your provider doesnt carry, im curious what provider you DO have? many top providers offer the LG G4 and this phone really put a focus on its camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Get a magnifying glass. It'll be a lot cheaper.
    Sometimes old school is best school

Deleted
    LG G4 or the Samsung S6 look like great camera phones

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/m...-2015-3612824/

I believe Sony is currently leading the market with their camera tech for phones and they are holding back on releasing their latest and greatest to their rivals. I would strongly advise doing some research and look particularly into Sony products.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    I can't stand sony as a company, but their imaging sensor takes a shit on anything apple releases..
    Sony make the sensors Apple use, or at least most of them.

Back to the main subject though, for the OP, if you already have a sony z1, the camera on that should be better than the samsung anyway, at least in terms of detail. With sony's phones though, you need to be in manual mode to use the full 20mp on the sensor, on auto, it only takes an 8mp image. If you haven't already tried it, have a play with manual mode and see if that does any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    You don't need an overpriced $1000 phone for the OP's stated purpose. I mean come on.