Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Isis 'has designs on' Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem and is a danger to Europe,"- Putin

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10501621.html

Isis has designs on the holy cities of Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem and poses a danger to Europe, Vladimir Putin has reportedly said.

The Russian President said the situation is “very serious” and that Moscow is worried trained jihadists from the group - which refers to itself as the Islamic State - plan to return to EU countries and Russia, according to Russia Today.

“Extremists from many countries of the world, including, unfortunately, European counties, Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States undertake ideological and military training in the ranks of Islamic State,” Mr Putin reportedly said.

“Certainly we are worried that they could possibly return.”

RT said the Kremlin also expressed fears that Isis members are publicly announcing designs on the three major holy cities of Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem.

Russia has reportedly called for a “wide coalition” to fight extremists “without delay”.

The coalition, Mr Putin said, should “set aside geopolitical ambitions” and “unite everyone who is ready and is already contributing to tackling terrorism".

He said: “Simple common sense, responsibility for global and regional safety require uniting efforts of the international community [to fight] such a threat.”

“It is necessary to set aside geopolitical ambitions, drop so-called double standards, the policy of direct or indirect use of separate terrorist groups for achieving own goals, including removing the governments and regimes.”

Mr Putin's comments follow a recent heightening of international pressure on Moscow over what Washington and Gulf states say is a Russian military build-up in Syria, where the Kremlin has been supporting President Bashar al-Assad in the four-and-a-half-year civil war.

Russia has said it is supporting the Syrian government in its fight against terrorism and Mr Putin confirmed the country "will continue its support".

The President’s comments echo Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov’s remarks this week that Russia will continue sending military supplies to Syria.

“There were military supplies, they are ongoing and they will continue,” Lavrov said.

Moscow insists its military assistance to the Syrian army is in line with international law.

I'm not sure how ISIS presents any threat to a nation with a well run military. I'm not sure they're even a real threat to Baghdad, let alone Israel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'm not sure how ISIS presents any threat to a nation with a well run military. I'm not sure they're even a real threat to Baghdad, let alone Israel.
    I say let them try to take Jerusalem.

Then when Israel grinds them into the dust we can all breathe a lot more easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    they are not. sure, they could carry out terror attacks / bombings, but they would have no chance trying to take a city like Jerusalem. I would love to see them try however.

Deleted
    They should stop sending troops down there and glass the entire place, it would bring peace once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    They should stop sending troops down there and glass the entire place, it would bring peace once and for all.
    Mass destruction is well known for bring peace

Would love to see isis try taking on Israel.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post

Then when Israel grinds them into the dust we can all breathe a lot more easily.
    If the Israeli's so much as sneeze in the direction of an Arab it goes to the Hague.

With a military force of around 5 million in the region and Isis maybe around 30k. Why doesn't the countries actually do anything now? While I generally consider myself empathetic to people's standing, I am also very miffed at no Arab country has taken in any refugees from Syria. More to the point that these Arab states are "Do Nothing" countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    If the Israeli's so much as sneeze in the direction of an Arab it goes to the Hague.
    Or you know, blows up an apartment building.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    So, nothing happens then.

Good to know.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    With a military force of around 5 million in the region and Isis maybe around 30k. Why doesn't the countries actually do anything now? While I generally consider myself empathetic to people's standing
    Which country? Everyone who doesn't get involved as their own reasons for not doing so.

I am also very miffed at no Arab country has taken in any refugees from Syria.

This isn't even a little true.

As much as I'm not of fan of Israel policy sometimes. I swear I could see Arab countries maybe not joining but backing Isis is they knew they could do any type of damage to Israel. Obviously Isis would not occupy Jerusalem.

Russia propping up the Assad regime in Syria means the civil war will go on much longer, more deaths, more refugees.

Assad is the only remaining ally Russia has.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Which country? Everyone who doesn't get involved as their own reasons for not doing so.

This isn't even a little true.
    Saudia Arabia, Jordan and Turkey to name a few. Egypt is not close but by proxy. The only reason is if these countries are playing some type of tribalism or Sunni/Shiite Muslim conflict of one gaining the power in the region.

Please show me what country has taken in Syrian refugees. They have thrown money at the problem. That is all.

Deleted
    Mass destruction is well known for bring peace
    If none of them survives, there will be no one left to oppose the peace. They should build 2 Tsar Bombas for those 2 cities.

Saudia Arabia, Jordan and Turkey to name a few. Egypt is not close but by proxy. The only reason is if these countries are playing some type of tribalism or Sunni/Shiite Muslim conflict of one gaining the power in the region.

Please show me what country has taken in Syrian refugees. They have thrown money at the problem. That is all.
    Jordan and Lebanon are arab countries.

Jordan and Lebanon are arab countries.
    I was wrong. None of the Gulf States have taken in refugees.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    they could carry out terror attacks / bombings
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    I would love to see them try however.
    so... let me get this straight, you'd love for them to kill innocent people through bombings and terror attacks? Because that's what "seeing them try" means, you said it yourself...
    I sure would not love to see them try if this is the case.

Except, for, of course, the innocent people that would die while they trike to take Jerusalem. But hey, why would you care about them when you can be comfy?

I swear sometimes people just write things without even thinking. No, we should not "let them try" to take on anything. We should intervene in force. Heck, maybe an option would even be to make a pact with Russia and have NATO forces go in alongside Russian ones to fight ISIS under the agreement that once that is over both sides leave and left Syria deal with its civil war situation alone if Russia is so against a NATO intervention of fear because "muh ally". ISIS are worse than Assad, so they need to be taken care of.
    Another idea would be to use covert operations to deal with those in charge. Let's be honest, the ISIS militants aren't really... well... that smart. So their leaders need to be smart enough to ensure their loyalty and their extremist nature.

- - - Updated - - -

I was wrong. None of the Gulf States have taken in refugees.
    Also, while we're here, Turkey has also its fair share of refugees. They're also not happy about it.

But yes, the Gulf States have not. Funny how some of the richest countries, countries who could even support these people and with a similar culture, would not take them... on the other hand, Saudi Arabia, the biggest of them, kind of funded terrorists... so not that surprised. Refugees would need to pass through it to get to the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Except, for, of course, the innocent people that would die while they trike to take Jerusalem. But hey, why would you care about them when you can be comfy?
    Cool. What am I, personally, supposed to do about it? Flagellate myself lamenting the lack of political stability in West Asia?

We should intervene in force.
    No.

Heck, maybe an option would even be to make a pact with Russia
    Also no.

and have NATO forces go in alongside Russian ones to fight ISIS under the agreement that once that is over both sides leave and left Syria deal with its civil war situation alone if Russia is so against a NATO intervention of fear because "muh ally". ISIS are worse than Assad, so they need to be taken care of.
    Another idea would be to use covert operations to deal with those in charge. Let's be honest, the ISIS militants aren't really... well... that smart. So their leaders need to be smart enough to ensure their loyalty and their extremist nature.
    Or just let Israel deal with them.