Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Crisis in global oceans as populations of marine species halve in size since 1970

http://www.wwf.org.uk/about_wwf/pres.../?uNewsID=7673

Marine species around the world, including populations of fish critical to human food security, are in potentially catastrophic decline according to research published today.

WWF’s Living Blue Planet report, an updated study of marine mammals, birds, reptiles and fish, shows a decline of 49 per cent in the size of marine populations between 1970 and 2012. As well as being disastrous for ecosystems, these findings spell trouble for all nations, especially people in the developing world who depend heavily on the ocean’s resources.

Many species essential to commercial and subsistence fishing – and therefore global food supply – are significantly depleted due to over fishing. Global population sizes of the Scombridae family of food fish that includes tunas, mackerels and bonitos have fallen by 74 per cent. Declining stocks of bluefin and yellowfin are of particular concern. Some species found in UK waters, including the vulnerable porbeagle shark and the critically endangered leatherback turtle, have also undergone precipitous declines.

While over-exploitation is identified as the major threat to ocean biodiversity, the study finds that climate change is causing the ocean to change more rapidly than at any other point in millions of years. Rising temperatures and increasing acidity levels caused by carbon dioxide are further weakening a system that is already severely degraded through overfishing, habitat degradation and pollution.

Dr Louise Heaps, Chief Advisor on Marine Policy at WWF-UK said:

“As well as being a source of extraordinary natural beauty and wonder, healthy seas are the bedrock of a functioning global economy. By over-exploiting fisheries, degrading coastal habitats and not addressing global warming, we are sowing the seeds of ecological and economic catastrophe.

“But there are clear steps that all governments can take to restore our oceans. Creating networks of well-managed Marine Protected Areas is a proven way to enable wildlife and habitats to recover. Pushing for a strong global deal on climate change would help the seas sustain life far into the future. Taking serious steps to implement this year’s Sustainable Development Goals in the UK and abroad could help build a global economy that values natural capital, respects natural habitats and rewards responsible business.

“Every one of us can take meaningful action, starting today, by ensuring that all the seafood we eat is responsibly sourced and Marine Stewardship Council accredited. And as ocean stakeholders, we can call for governments and the private sector to invest in the recovery of our ocean so that we can benefit in the long-term from what it has to offer.”

The analysis tracked 5,829 populations of 1,234 species, from sea birds to sharks to leatherback turtles, making the data sets almost twice as large as past studies.

The report also shows steep worldwide declines in the cover of coral reefs, mangroves and seagrasses that support fish species and provide valuable services to people. It is very possible that we could lose coral reefs from most areas by 2050 as a result of climate change. With over 25 per cent of all marine species living in coral reefs and about 850 million people directly benefiting from their economic, social and cultural services, the loss of these reefs would be catastrophic.

Marco Lambertini, Director General of WWF International said:

“In the space of a single generation, human activity has severely damaged the ocean by catching fish faster than they can reproduce while also destroying their nurseries. Profound changes are needed to ensure abundant ocean life for future generations.”

“We are in a race to catch fish that could end with people starved of a vital food source and an essential economic engine. Overfishing, destruction of marine habitats and climate change have dire consequences for the entire human population, with the poorest communities that rely on the sea getting hit fastest and hardest. The collapse of ocean ecosystems could trigger serious economic decline – and undermine our fight to eradicate poverty and malnutrition.”

The findings are based on the Living Planet Index, a database maintained and analysed by researchers at the Zoological Society of London (ZSL). Following alarming statistics raised in WWF’s Living Planet Report 2014, revealing huge declines in vertebrate populations around the world, this special report studies how overfishing, damage to habitat and climate change are affecting marine biodiversity.

Professor Ken Norris, Director of Science at ZSL said:

“The ocean works hard in the background to keep us alive, generating half of the world’s oxygen and absorbing almost a third of the carbon dioxide produced from burning fossil fuels. It also feeds billions of people around the globe, some of whom rely solely on the oceans to survive. These devastating figures reveal how quickly human beings are changing the wildlife in our oceans and are a stark warning of the problems we might face as a result.”

It’s not all bad news in the UK. Recent assessments from the North Sea have shown that just over 50% of assessed stocks, including herring and haddock are being fished sustainably. Progress is being made in the designation of Marine Protected Areas, but the UK Government must do more to ensure delivery of a coherent and well-managed network of sites. Scotland has recently set a good example by proposing management measures that should ensure proper protection of sites.

Current gaps in the network in England include seagrass sites - home to two species of seahorse - and protection for mobile species such as sharks, skates and rays, which are identified as being in trouble on a global scale in this report.

- ENDS -

Notes to Editors

• The full report is at: http://assets.wwf.org.uk/downloads/l...eport_2015.pdf

• Download photographs of threatened species (password: marine) at http://wwfuk-presspics.photoshelter....000HirGTXPdiJA

• Follow the debate at: #StateoftheOceans and #BluePanda

• Threats to the ocean risk the loss of an annual economic output of at least US$2.5 trillion and an overall asset base of at least $24 trillion, as illustrated by a previous WWF study

• Earlier this year, WWF revealed that every dollar invested to create marine protected areas could yield triple the benefits through factors including employment, coastal protection, and fisheries. That analysis showed that increased protection of critical habitats could result in net benefits of between US$490 billion and US$920 billion accruing over the period 2015-2050.

• Nearly 3 billion people rely on marine and freshwater fish as a major source of protein. 12% global the population rely on fisheries as a livelihood, and 60% of world’s population live within 100km of the coast.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Sadly, we have the ability and resources to curb this, however queue the status quo defenders and the temporarily embarrassed millionaires come to the defense of multi-national interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    My bad... It did say 'all you can eat'... Sorry...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I'm sure I can introduce my fingers deep enough into my ears to make this news go away and keep the status quo going on forever!

This just in, the marine population is in on the climate change hoax.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

I dunno, just came back from fishing at a local pier and I caught the same amount of pin fish I have been catching since I was 6. The scientific study I have been conducting for the last 34 years says pin fish are doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vago View Post
    I dunno, just came back from fishing at a local pier and I caught the same amount of pin fish I have been catching since I was 6. The scientific study I have been conducting for the last 34 years says pin fish are doing fine.
    I don't know hoe serious this is, but I laughed. Thank you, sir, for a well-performed representation of science denialism.

7+ Year Old Account
    As certain species die, other more adaptable ones will thrive and take their place. It's how life has worked for a long time.

If they are all dying I would be for creating stronger genetically modified fish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    As certain species die, other more adaptable ones will thrive and take their place. It's how life has worked for a long time.
    Haven't seen any species taking the place of the bees. Have you?

Is there a source other than WWF?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Oh, but they will, sooner or later. It'll probably be "later" in our own perception of time, and it will be detrimental to the quality of life of our species, but technically, he's right.

7+ Year Old Account
    There are stronger and weaker bees. Not all of them are doing terrible. I also know of at least 1 organization working on stronger genetically modified bees.

- - - Updated - - -

You got me curious so I did an additional search. Turns out there are also some efforts to replace bees with genetically modified ants.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Oh, but they will, sooner or later. It'll probably be "later" in our own perception of time, and it will be detrimental to the quality of life of our species, but technically, he's right.
    There are stronger and weaker bees. Not all of them are doing terrible. I also know of at least 1 organization working on stronger genetically modified bees.
    I'd love to hear some basis for these claims, both of them, actually. The facts that we have so far are that bees have been dying at an unprecedented pace all over the place. Where's this information on these "stronger bees"? Why not name that organization if you supposedly know it's working on something?

Right now it sounds like nothing more than a load of "Aww heck some other species will take over if them bees go dying! *pthooie*"

You got me curious so I did an additional search. Turns out there are also some efforts to replace bees with genetically modified ants.
    Hahaha. Monsanto! That's who's killing the goddamn bees in the first place! Of course their so-called "expert" would tell some news outlet they've got a "solution" in the pipes.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to hear some basis for these claims, both of them, actually. The facts that we have so far are that bees have been dying at an unprecedented pace all over the place. Where's this information on these "stronger bees"? Why not name that organization if you supposedly know it's working on something?

Right now it sounds like nothing more than a load of "Aww heck some other species will take over if them bees go dying! *pthooie*"

Hahaha. Monsanto! That's who's killing the goddamn bees in the first place! Of course their so-called "expert" would tell some news outlet they've got a "solution" in the pipes.
    I believe it was called Beeologics.

You could also just Google the topic.

http://entomologytoday.org/2014/06/1...-bee-research/

If they are all dying I would be for creating stronger genetically modified fish.
    Ya, if we lose access to upwards of 85% of our breathable Oxygen supply we will just replace it. Maybe plant more land trees....

Deleted
    So this was a whole lot of nothing. A queen was genetically modified - to glow, which is completely useless - and it passed that modification on to it's offspring. So what? Has nothing to do with bees dying of insecticides.

If they can genetically modify a bee to be immune to insecticides, call me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    Ya, if we lose access to upwards of 85% of our breathable Oxygen supply we will just replace it. Maybe plant more land trees....
    I guess we should start working on solutions. The good news is we don't actually consume very much oxygen, so even if all oxygen suppliers decreased tomorrow, we would still have centuries to work on solutions before the atmospheric ratio became poisonous.

I guess we should start working on solutions. The good news is we don't actually consume very much oxygen, so even if all oxygen suppliers decreased tomorrow, we would still have centuries to work on solutions before the atmospheric ratio became poisonous.
    Yea, pretty much. It should take a long time for oxygen supplies to be depleted, though this is hardly a reason not to try and mitigate damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Humans, pathetic creatures that they are, will tend to pick money over resource stewardship almost every time. So don't expect anything to be done about this until it's likely irreversible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time to ban people from eating fish.