Screen Decision Dilemma - Really Need Some Advice

Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some help with a dilemma I am having at the moment. It's the fairly standard problem of whether to buy now or wait for the new tech looming on the horizon. I have bought a new gpu for my system, a GTX 980ti, and need to update my ludicrously outdated screens that I have had for 6 years (2 Acer P224w's). The two monitors between which I am having trouble choosing are the current Acer XB270HU and the future Asus PG279Q. I understand that it is very much a personal opinion of which is better since both have seemingly the same specs so I was hoping to hear what some of you would do. I've had good experiences with the quality of acer screens (my 6 year old ones still run great for what they are) and don't know how Asus fairs in this regard. The Asus ROG Swift has, in my opinion, the best looking aesthetics which would, hopefully, be similar to the new Asus, and seems to have better quality peripheral components. As I'm sure you can tell, my thought process is rather scattered so I hoped just hearing some other thoughts would help.

Also since I don't read enough when it comes to tech (my wallet could not handle the "ooo shiny, new, must have it" that my brain has a tendency to do) I was wondering if anyone here had any insight into when the Asus PG279Q would be released? It is slated for Q4 but I'm curious that maybe there are hints as to when, like since reviewers haven't received it yet -> this may mean still at least a month, or some such deduction.

Appreciate the help guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    My best guess about the 279Q -- and it's only a guess -- is that they'll want it on the market in time for Black Friday. I suspect we'll see it sometime in November.

I have the XB270HU and it's all I expected and more. I probably would have bought the 279Q if it had been in the market back in May when I got my monitor, but it wasn't so I went with the Acer. The question you should be asking yourself is whether you're willing to wait a couple of months to buy what is essentially the same screen with different aesthetics. If you want to bite the bullet and get something now, you can't go wrong with the Acer. However, if the wait doesn't bother you and you're willing to pay a premium for the newest, biggest, and best thing on the market, you can wait a couple of months and get the ASUS for a little bit more.

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards waiting now, hoping that you will be right that it will be out before back Friday. Even having the vaguest (and 'guess-iest') of possible dates will make the wait more tolerable. Thank you.