Thread: Forza 6

Forza 6

Forza 6 was released yesterday or so. Tell my wife and children I love them.

I don't really have a wife or children.

I guess racing type games must not be all that popular amongst MMO enthusiasts as there's no thread for a game that by all rights is one of the larger releases for the XBOne for the year. Its a big enough game its been released as a combo pack with the console, the other alternative being Halo Guardians.

I've always loved the Forza series. I enjoy racing games, but what I love about the Forza series is the same thing I love about the Armored Core series. It's not the racing but the tinkering. Sure the racing is fun too. I managed to get level 50 on Forza 4. Oh and level 50 on Forza 3. And level 50 on Forza 2, so I did plenty of the actual competitive racing, but what I spend hundreds of hours doing isn't going head to head against other racers online or overcoming the competitions, but finding just the right combination of parts, that correct drive ratio or camber to really get that impressive tune for a car. I did hundreds of laps in test mode slowly changing one variable to see what was better or worse. I also spent countless hours making vinyl jobs. Replicas of real-world liveries, unique designs etc.

To me this is what the Forza series has that no other race series has got close to touching. The amount of customization you can do for a car, and the most important thing which is vital to that is the rating system. Sure there's lots of games you can just throw on all the expensive upgrades and blow anything out of the water. That's not fun though. What matters is imposing limits on that. Try to set up the perfect Subaru STi for an A level race and you have to make tradeoffs between the best parts for horsepower and for handling. Do you go with the race turbo or the customizable suspension? Do you strip your chassis for lightness or put extra grippy tires on the car? Choices that matter are fun.

The major downside the Forza series has always suffered from is the after-puchase additional purchases. I never played Forza 5, but I heard it was one of the worst for having a thick coat of slime over everything. Forza Horizon 2 sure had it. It was like "dont you know I payed for this game? Its not a free to play game? Why is there constant advertising for DLC on every screen? Why is everything plastered with the IRL currency option as the first-choice?" That game was rotten with additional pay options. Disgusting.

So far in the few minutes of Forza 6 I haven't seen so much of that. I'm sure there will be some, but maybe they learned a lesson and toned it down a bit. I don't mind them selling additional cars. The base car list is already impressive. Making more content for a complete game is fine to sell in addition.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I have forza 4. The game is awesome, but I grew tired od using a regular controller. With that said I consider buying a steering wheel controller but haven't. I wouldn't know what one to get. I'd like something with foot pedals.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Deleted
    Nice post. Unlike you in Forza I don't tinker much with the cars, prefer to do that in PC driving sims, but love Forza 4 both for the career and some couch racing with a friend or two. Must have spent more time in that game over the last few years than any other non-MMO. As to the plethora of buyable dlcs: At least for Forza, you usually have the choice to wait and buy a "Game of the year" edition, unlike the EA sports and racing games.

Currently debating whether to buy an Xbone just for the Forza brand. Overall I feel the PS4 is the superior product as of today (buddy has both consoles next to each other), but Forza 6 looks extremely tempting indeed.

@dwightyo39: choice of xbox compatible wheels is somewhat limited. You have high-end solutions from thrustmaster and fanatec, both more expensive than the console itself; mid-level stuff from Logitech and entry level quality from again Thrustmaster and Mad Catz. You can find exhaustive discussion of racing hardware on SimHQ or more console-centric on GTPlanet:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board...-hardware.163/
    Last edited by mmocabce60bc47; 2015-09-17 at 02:56 AM. Reason: dat spelling

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I have forza 4. The game is awesome, but I grew tired od using a regular controller. With that said I consider buying a steering wheel controller but haven't. I wouldn't know what one to get. I'd like something with foot pedals.
    I wish there was a worthwhile steering wheel to buy on xbox one yet but there isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Nice post. Unlike you in Forza I don't tinker much with the cars, prefer to do that in PC driving sims, but love Forza 4 both for the career and some couch racing with a friend or two. Must have spent more time in that game over the last few years than any other non-MMO. As to the plethora of buyable dlcs: At least for Forza, you usually have the choice to wait and buy a "Game of the year" edition, unlike the EA sports and racing games.

Currently debating whether to buy an Xbone just for the Forza brand. Overall I feel the PS4 is the superior product as of today (buddy has both consoles next to each other), but Forza 6 looks extremely tempting indeed.

@dwightyo39: choice of xbox compatible wheels is somewhat limited. You have high-end solutions from thrustmaster and fanatec, both more expensive than the console itself; mid-level stuff from Logitech and entry level quality from again Thrustmaster and Mad Catz. You can find exhaustive discussion of racing hardware on SimHQ or more console-centric on GTPlanet:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board...-hardware.163/
    Yeah, both the 360 and the XBOne I bought mainly for a Forza game.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.