Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mistcaller really underwhelming

I just had a game as control warrior against a Shammy. He played Mistcaller on turn 6 and we ended both drawing all cards, going to fatigue. Surprisingly (for me, at least) I still managed to win the game.

So, even in the best scenario of getting absolute full value from Mistcaller, I found it underwhelming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grom33 View Post
    I just had a game as control warrior against a Shammy. He played Mistcaller on turn 6 and we ended both drawing all cards, going to fatigue. Surprisingly (for me, at least) I still managed to win the game.

So, even in the best scenario of getting absolute full value from Mistcaller, I found it underwhelming.
    Aren't control warriors basically wait out the opponent while building up a lot of armour?

If you went to fatigue then its no wonder you won.

I found Mistcaller in one of my 60 packs i pre-purchased and i was sooo happy. tried to make it work with some own decks and later went on to get some ideas from hearthpwn or tempostorm. However, i never really found a deck that would somehow get the extra swing from The Mistcaller.

Also, while the card seems awesome, i was quiet surprised that its not even so easy to find it in semi-succesful deck in the internet.

Atm i dont run him in any of my shaman decks...pretty disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic209 View Post
    Aren't control warriors basically wait out the opponent while building up a lot of armour?

If you went to fatigue then its no wonder you won.
    I just wanted to stress that the shaman drew all his cards, obtaining absolute full value from Mistcaller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like it a "lose less" card.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just wanted to stress that the shaman drew all his cards, obtaining absolute full value from Mistcaller.
    That's hardly full value unless he already had a full board of minions and was still at 30 hp.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Deleted
    It's basically a Stormwind Champion acting on your hand and deck.

Basically. Because of that subtle diffrence of no immediate effect, it turns out to be crap even in Arena.

When you play SWC on an empty board you get 6/6 for 7 which is shit but it's less shit than 4/4 for 6. When you play it with minions on the board it can push them for that favorable trade, meaning that it has an instant effect on your board.

If you play this guy when you're ahead you're not gaining much anyway. You can lose your lead because you make a very slow play.
    If you play this when you're behind you most likely lost so much tempo that you're going to just lose the game on the spot.

15+ Year Old Account

Not surprising, Control Warrior shits on Totem Shammy due to Brawl.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Mistcaller turned out to be pretty horrible. He was actually one of the cards I didn't dare say anything about because I was so unsure about his true value but it became clear in the first few days that he was just bad. Watched many streamers tinker with it during the first week and don't remember 1 single streamer that didn't find him just plain terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    That's hardly full value unless he already had a full board of minions and was still at 30 hp.
    I take it you don't know how mistcaller works lol, having a board full of minions hurts more than it helps mistcaller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even worse is Wilfred Fizzlebang:

It's like missing a turn if you play it. I've tried him in my deck but have never once had a good chance to play it.

Maybe in a handlock deck it might work, gonna try it now.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2015-09-17 at 02:42 PM.

And yet people voted Mistcaller as the second best new TGT legendary, only behind Varian Wrynn who also turned out to be not that popular:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ard-of-the-set

I'd say the best TGT legendaries are actually Rhonin and Paletress, who didn't get much love in the poll. Rhonin is a big body that has way too much synergy with Flamewakers and Antonidas, I'm not entirely up to date with tempo decks these days but I think most of them run him now. Paletress is less commonly seen but can also prove to turn a game around if you get a bit lucky with the randomness, and its one of those cards your opponent has to kill or he's gonna have a hard time.

As for the Mistcaller, the day I've seen him the first thing I said was that he'd be to slow. Getting all of your minions buffed seems nice on first impression, but it just takes way too long to get that value.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's fun, but I agree it isn't that great. I still use it because I got it out of a pack and I enjoy it. If I were to play competitively in ranked I'd completely rework that deck anyway.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    And yet people voted Mistcaller as the second best new TGT legendary, only behind Varian Wrynn who also turned out to be not that popular:

I'd say the best TGT legendaries are actually Rhonin and Paletress, who didn't get much love in the poll. Rhonin is a big body that has way too much synergy with Flamewakers and Antonidas, I'm not entirely up to date with tempo decks these days but I think most of them run him now. Paletress is less commonly seen but can also prove to turn a game around if you get a bit lucky with the randomness, and its one of those cards your opponent has to kill or he's gonna have a hard time.

As for the Mistcaller, the day I've seen him the first thing I said was that he'd be to slow. Getting all of your minions buffed seems nice on first impression, but it just takes way too long to get that value.
    And what if I am of the opinion of Justicar and Eadric being pretty damn good?

10+ Year Old Account
    You cant expect a single card to win you the game. Some plays will really make a big difference like mystic stealing a secret or harrison breaking enemy weapons or black knight killing a druid of claw. But none of them gurantee you the win.

A turn 6 mistcaller where the game is drawn out is good. Just not enough to secure the win against a good control deck. Which is very reasonable imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    He is too slow in the meta atm, in a more control based meta he would shine. However I think Shaman is the wrong class for him (hear me out) Shamans, especially the new totem decks rely so heavily on the summoned totems and the hero power, which the mistcaller doesnt buff, so its wasted because it doesnt effect the core mechanic of Shamans. Now imagine Mistcaller in control /dragon priest and warr or in ramp druid, in those decks he would make a huge difference and win you games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

Quote Originally Posted by ipoststuff View Post
    You cant expect a single card to win you the game. Some plays will really make a big difference like mystic stealing a secret or harrison breaking enemy weapons or black knight killing a druid of claw. But none of them gurantee you the win.

A turn 6 mistcaller where the game is drawn out is good. Just not enough to secure the win against a good control deck. Which is very reasonable imo.
    I agree with you. Mostly.
    However, there are many cards that if you get, not even full but some kind of value, the impact is tremendous: Ragnaros in a few turns, Ysera, Paletress.... even Murlock Knight easily win games if not removed immediately.

I really would have expected that playing mistcaller in turn 6 and drawing ALL the cards would make an impact enough to win the game. Similar to, for example, playing Ysera and your opponent not able to remove it for several turns.

I was surprised to find that even in that case (absolute best), the impact of Mistcaller was not enough to win the game.
    I would be equally surprised if someone plays Ysera/Ragnaros/Paletress, with near full life, I can not remove it, game goes on several turns and I still win the game. But this never happened to me.
    Last edited by grom33; 2015-09-18 at 07:22 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post

I have seen only once palatress in constructed so far. I don't think she's popular at all. I see justicar everywhere, i expect varian in warrior and mysterious gentlleman in paladin (i know, he's epic, so i expect 2 in fact)

The meta didn't even come close to slowing down enough for him to be viable, quite disappointing.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    I take it you don't know how mistcaller works lol, having a board full of minions hurts more than it helps mistcaller.
    He said the shaman played Mistcaller on turn six, so all minion cards played from then on would be buffed correct? Unless he had a full board of minions and most of his health still intact by the time he was fatiguing (some time after turn 10) against the control warrior then he's hardly getting full value out of the Mistcaller. Just drawing all your buffed minions in the deck doesn't grant Mistwalker Max value, you also need board control and be ahead of your opponent for that to be so.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity