Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Best way to solve this is grow up and realize words are only words.
    If you or people around you can't understand this, they aren't people you need to worry about.
    exactly, its not offensive or wrong. you're just brainwashed to believe it is. Its more offensive if you tell someone who uses it they are bad or wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    If "God damn" is a problem then maybe Golly Gee and Gosh are just the same problem.... http://blog.dictionary.com/golly-gosh-and-gee/
    That's my fear too changing the habit seems tied to changing the behavior or attitude. Hoping for some advice from someone who's been in the same boat and it worked.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Just say "Damn!"

Simple enough.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah thanks nice idea but I don't want to change a word but still have the same meaning, I mean I still know it's wrong for me to say it.
    Why? God going to spank you?

I'm curious why you care. I've never understood why certain words are "forbidden." I'll drop f-bombs, effenheimers, whatever constantly. It's almost like putting !!! in the middle of a sentence.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Just monitor your thoughts and suppress it when you are about to say it... not sure why you need a different word to stop you...

After a bit you will stop using it.
    True but every once in a blue moon something will happen, maybe stub my toe or angry about something I like to have a good substitute word.

Is there even a god whose name is God? if not then your not taking their name in vain.

Also if you know the origin of the phrase you don't need to feel bad about it at all:

During the times of Ancient Egypt there once was a great builder named Senebet who leaved near a great river (probably the Nile) in a small settlement. Further south there was a larger camp that basically raided all the small villages around it to get its supplies. These raiders would come to Senebets village and take shit from them. Senebet eventually earned the nickname Goade (which i think meant fool or weakling cant remember) because he tried to stand up to them and failed. After many years the raiders were no longer satisfied with just taking supplies and started to take women which included Senebets wife and daughters. Senebet went to the raiders village to offer his services in exchange for his wife and daughters and the raiders replied by killing them in front of him. The upset Senebet went home and began working on the greatest dam the world had ever seen. When it was complete he had the rivers waters diverted towards the raiders settlement destroying everything.

Only one raider survived the deluge and made it to Senebets village asking what could cause the river to behave this way and the villagers replied "Goade damed it" then hacked the raider into pieces. This is also where we get the word Goad from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Why? God going to spank you?

I'm curious why you care. I've never understood why certain words are "forbidden." I'll drop f-bombs, effenheimers, whatever constantly. It's almost like putting !!! in the middle of a sentence.
    Well for me it's not about being struck by lightening I just feel uncomfortable slighting God.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Just say "Damn!"

Simple enough.
    That's what I do TRY but the God part just sneaks in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    God Damn or God Damn It... is not taking the Lord's name in vain... stop spreading misinformation.

You are literally saying, "This thing (insert object of your rage) is pissing me off... God damn (send it to the eternal torment of Hell) it (this object of my rage)."

Sounds like a solemn prayer... not taking the Lord's name in vain.
    Well technically (we going to go to Bible School for a second) if you're asking God to do something but you don't actually mean it. You're not supposed to be asking for anything to be condemned in the first place and then your calling God to condemn something when you don't mean it.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Flying Spaghetti Monster damn (praise be to his noodliness).
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Is there even a god whose name is God? if not then your not taking their name in vain.

Also if you know the origin of the phrase you don't need to feel bad about it at all:

During the times of Ancient Egypt there once was a great builder named Senebet who leaved near a great river (probably the Nile) in a small settlement. Further south there was a larger camp that basically raided all the small villages around it to get its supplies. These raiders would come to Senebets village and take shit from them. Senebet eventually earned the nickname Goade (which i think meant fool or weakling cant remember) because he tried to stand up to them and failed. After many years the raiders were no longer satisfied with just taking supplies and started to take women which included Senebets wife and daughters. Senebet went to the raiders village to offer his services in exchange for his wife and daughters and the raiders replied by killing them in front of him. The upset Senebet went home and began working on the greatest dam the world had ever seen. When it was complete he had the rivers waters diverted towards the raiders settlement destroying everything.

Only one raider survived the deluge and made it to Senebets village asking what could cause the river to behave this way and the villagers replied "Goade damed it" then hacked the raider into pieces. This is also where we get the word Goad from.
    Thanks for the words kind of makes me think of the words differently which helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Flying Spaghetti Monster damn (praise be to his noodliness).
    Really? I stub my toe or elbow that's not something that can
    Be a go to phrase.

Try "gorram".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Right, but if you are mindful of it, and stop using it, you will stop using it when you are not mindful of it, after a while... you are basically rewiring the neural pathway to not travel down that path.

After a bit, it will be natural.

Ok I get it but what if you stub your toe or bump your elbow then what it sneaks back in your head then what?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejaa View Post
    Try "gorram".
    That looks interesting what's it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Well technically (we going to go to Bible School for a second) if you're asking God to do something but you don't actually mean it. You're not supposed to be asking for anything to be condemned in the first place and then your calling God to condemn something when you don't mean it.
    Oh I mean it everytime

EDIT: And you should not condemn others as that is passing judgement... however, that end table that clips your knee every other day... well if it was magically teleported to the fiery abyss you'd at least have one more believer.
    Last edited by Lodreh; 2015-09-18 at 05:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I get it but what if you stub your toe or bump your elbow then what it sneaks back in your head then what?
    Train yourself to say 'ow' instead. Get a rubber band and flick yourself on your arm 1000 times. Say 'ow' each time until it becomes ingrained into your very soul.

I love how the ignorance of people have led to either saying incorrect info about religion, and/or just completely steering away from the request of the OP, yet no mods do anything about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    I love how the ignorance of people have led to either saying incorrect info about religion, and/or just completely steering away from the request of the OP, yet no mods do anything about it.
    This is a thread asking advice about me using gods name in vein and seeking alternatives. It's not about religion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Train yourself to say 'ow' instead. Get a rubber band and flick yourself on your arm 1000 times. Say 'ow' each time until it becomes ingrained into your very soul.
    That's a great idea I'm going to try it.

Arbitrary noises also work.

Grabbed a smoking hot pan handle: "URRGHhghahwodi"

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Christians - it's OK to only live for yourself, not help your fellow man, the planet etc and generally treat people like shit as long as you go to church, not swear or drink etc.

My in laws are preachy as hell, go to church every week, give money to said church to build fancy sound systems but treat everyone else, myself included like trash and are the biggest racists I've ever met.

Your God doesn't care what you say or how often you go to some for profit church. Just don't be a dick and leave the world better than when you entered it.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a thread asking advice about me using gods name in vein and seeking alternatives. It's not about religion.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a great idea I'm going to try it.
    The belief that god damn is bad to say is purely religious. No way around that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Arbitrary noises also work.

Grabbed a smoking hot pan handle: "URRGHhghahwodi"
    Yeah trying to get into the sub conscious so it's a habit that I actually break.