Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ben- View Post
    Iraq and Afghanistan havent been too productive actually, this is mainly due to not needing any new hardware or weapons that we didnt already have a metric fuck ton of. But it is keeping people employed by the defense industry employed, for better or worse. I personally feel war is a waste of time those resources would be better spent on improving our people and our future. However its very hard to deny the great depression ending after a couple world wars.
    Defense industry contractors did allright, those wars saw the rise of V-belly anti IAD vehicles. Private defense contractors also did very well.

Just the state treasure did real real bad, and thus the average joe did bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    It doesn't mean they will go to war. It is the first step to getting the country used to the idea that it is a possibility. Previously their options were pretty limited when it came to protecting their own interests abroad. They have China, North Korea and Russia on their doorstep, all of which are not good neighbors. While if it came to all out war I am sure the U.S. would back them up, but up until that point the ability to protect their own interests is important. There are a lot of naive people in Japan that actually believe being passive will keep them safe, it is about time they start to wake up and realize they need to protect their own interests and get the military prepared to do so. Whether or not they will use their military is a completely separate issue, this is about how freely they are allowed to do so if the need arises.
    Problem is, history shows Japan's never been a good neighbor either. If we're looking at China or Russia's history to say they're bad neighbors, you have to say the same for Japan with its history (which shows predatory behavior towards neighbors long before WW2).

"Japan passes law allowing troops to fight abroad"

okay.. i don't condone hitting a lady but.. what ever floats their boat

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Why is that people support war? I don't fucking get it. We should focus on technology instead and advancement in the medical field.
    Yeah, the US should have focused on technology and advancement in the medical field instead of joining WW2, Im sure that would have worked out great in the long run.
    PS fuck the people who were being butchered over there, they should have spent more time focusing on technology and medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziphr View Post
    Yeah, the US should have focused on technology and advancement in the medical field instead of joining WW2, Im sure that would have worked out great in the long run.
    PS fuck the people who were being butchered over there, they should have spent more time focusing on technology and medicine.
    Oh FFS I'm not talking about lending help when a madman wants to destroy the entire world. Nor am I talking about the 20th century. I'm talking about here and now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Oh FFS I'm not talking about lending help when a madman wants to destroy the entire world. Nor am I talking about the 20th century. I'm talking about here and now.
    Ok, fuck those people in Syria they deserve to see hundreds of thousands of their people murdered raped and tortured gangbanged between their monster government and ISIS.

Time for the UN to act. Lets drop pamphlets to let the people know to stop being gassed and instead focus on space travel and a cure for cancer. Surely then Assad and ISIS will back off out of respect for their pacifist tenancies.

Well focus on upgrading the nvidia 980 and bird flu vaccines to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziphr View Post
    THe wars created many advancements we enjoy today both medical and scientific, Like the Ultrasound originally developed to detect submarines, well now it diagnosis all kinds of medical conditions, Plastic surgery while superficial on top has saved, and improved many peoples lives, Blood Banks, transfusions before were performed by hooking one person up to another, the war showed us the need of having reserves of blood and we developed ways to store and use it, smaller portable X-ray units, Sanitary Napkins (a wonderful blessing for women and men.... everywhere). Sun Lamps, Rickets was a serious medical condition back in the day, we learned via sunlamps that viatmin d was a necessary thing we needed to survive, zippers, stainless steel, Penicillin gained widespread understanding and use, Radar, the precursor the the modern day computer ( enigma machine). and the least important one of all NUCLEAR POWER. (and these are just a few thousands of technologies were fully realized or made possible because we have an innate need to hate and fight amongst each other).

War has been the basis for many of our societies advancements from medical, scientific, to societal. Yes the money is better spent elsewhere but we cant ignore a lot of these discoveries which were made by throing mass amounts of money at everything to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensui06 View Post
    Its about time i mean its been 70 years since the end of the war how long can you expect to handicap to such a extent a nation like that. Germany doesn't have to deal with such BS. This lets Japan slowly build up its ability to defend itself and protect its interest without always needing the US to do so for them. The US will still back japan and protect it but i hope this is the start of japan taking a more active role in the world and giving a counter balance to China in the region so the US can focus on other issues.
    I'm sure there are others that don't realize this but Japans Constitution about not having an army was entirely due to the Japanese people and the US had no part in that. The US has actually tried to make Japan change the Constitution ever since the occupation ended in 1952.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2015-09-19 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    I'm sure there are others that don't realize this but Japans Constitution about not having an army was entirely due to the Japanese people and the US had no part in that. The US has actually tried to make Japan change the Constitution ever since the occupation ended in 1952.
    Im pretty sure General Mccarther drafted Japans first Constitution after WW2 which stated they lost their ability to wage war. A quick google search verified that http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...es-into-effect

THe wars created many advancements we enjoy today both medical and scientific, Like the Ultrasound originally developed to detect submarines, well now it diagnosis all kinds of medical conditions, Plastic surgery while superficial on top has saved, and improved many peoples lives, Blood Banks, transfusions before were performed by hooking one person up to another, the war showed us the need of having reserves of blood and we developed ways to store and use it, smaller portable X-ray units, Sanitary Napkins (a wonderful blessing for women and men.... everywhere). Sun Lamps, Rickets was a serious medical condition back in the day, we learned via sunlamps that viatmin d was a necessary thing we needed to survive, zippers, stainless steel, Penicillin gained widespread understanding and use, Radar, the precursor the the modern day computer ( enigma machine). and the least important one of all NUCLEAR POWER. (and these are just a few thousands of technologies were fully realized or made possible because we have an innate need to hate and fight amongst each other).

War has been the basis for many of our societies advancements from medical, scientific, to societal. Yes the money is better spent elsewhere but we cant ignore a lot of these discoveries which were made by throing mass amounts of money at everything to win.
    I agree completely ^^ Plus in anticipation for the war with soviets/the cold war, we had amazing advancements related to space exploration and all the great stuff thats come from that.
    I mean, I dont think we should go to war just for that reason ever, but it definitely forces advancement.

I was just pointing out that I think its silly to say that we should never ever go to war as if going to war is some kind of arbitrary decision people just make because they were bored and wanted to see whos dick is bigger or something. Which was the feeling I got from Xil's post.

Japan didnt vote to attack China or something. They voted to allow themselves to assist their allies in combat if they deem it necessary and worthy. WW2 may be 20th century, but its still a great example of a reason why Japan would want to send their troops to war. If something horrible is happening in the world, and it can be stopped, they can now help. Or if they're under threat of attack, they can actually go fight that threat instead of just waiting for the missiles.

The problem I have with this, is that the majority of people opposed it and the ruling party forced it on them anyways. Unfortunately, their government system shares the flaw the US has where instead of acquiring a huge majority to change their constitution, they can just "interpret" it to say whatever they want.
    Last edited by Daita Tetsu; 2015-09-19 at 05:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    its about time. with how much aggro china has been thowing their way it was bound to happen sooner or later
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Problem is, history shows Japan's never been a good neighbor either. If we're looking at China or Russia's history to say they're bad neighbors, you have to say the same for Japan with its history (which shows predatory behavior towards neighbors long before WW2).
    Of course you referring to the Japan before the United States came in and changed everything at the end of WW2. Japan is nothing like the Country it was. National pride is practically non existent. Japanese people have become extremely passive and non violent. I am not talking about history, I am talking about the present. Japan is surrounded by the "Axis of Evil".

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IKmeyFhJB1...gt737dejhg.jpg

How long untill this happens. please let it be soon.

Im pretty sure General Mccarther drafted Japans first Constitution after WW2 which stated they lost their ability to wage war. A quick google search verified that http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...es-into-effect
    The Constitution was a join effort between the 2 parties (Prime Minister Kijūrō Shidehara was who suggested Article 9 according to MacArthur himself) and that doesn't change the fact that the US tried to make Japan re-arm as early as 1952 due to the Soviet's and the Self Defense force was created due to the encouragement of the US.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2015-09-19 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Of course you referring to the Japan before the United States came in and changed everything at the end of WW2. Japan is nothing like the Country it was. National pride is practically non existent. Japanese people have become extremely passive and non violent. I am not talking about history, I am talking about the present. Japan is surrounded by the "Axis of Evil".
    Might be true if it were any other party trying to do this than the current war criminal-worshiping, white-washing nationalist party.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Might be true if it were any other party trying to do this than the current war criminal-worshiping, white-washing nationalist party.
    This.

Shinzo Abe has been a long advocate of historical revisionism. Hell in the 90s he was the leader of the Japanese Society for History Textbook Reform...

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    This.

Shinzo Abe has been a long advocate of historical revisionism. Hell in the 90s he was the leader of the Japanese Society for History Textbook Reform...
    Hopefully since this move was extremely unpopular, people will forget "shouganai" next election and vote his party into oblivion ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    The Constitution was a join effort between the 2 parties (Prime Minister Kijūrō Shidehara is who suggested Article 9 not McArthur) and that doesn't change the fact that the US tried to make Japan re-arm as early as 1952 due to the Soviet's and the Self Defense force was created due to the encouragement of the US.
    The allies destroyed Japan and they dictated not only the terms of their surrender, but their reconstruction as well. We ended our OCCUPATION of Japan in 1952, Japan at this time took it upon itself to form a treaty with the USA the treaty stated we (USA) provided all exterior defense for the country, while they were allowed to maintain an internal force of "police" to tend to their domestic threats. This "defense force" was not allowed to be the aggressor(per the constitution we drafted), we never officially encouraged Japan to attack anyone, which is what you are implying. we merely allowed Japan to defend itself. (implying potential occupation). Japan has about 300k infantry, vs Chinas 4.6 million. They were never set up to be an aggressor. However now they have decided its time.

I understand what your saying and its the same thing however the implications in each statement are different.

im waiting for the mechs any day now

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    This.

Somewhat ironic, since all American History textbooks show an extremely biased one sided "America is Awesome" side of history. Honestly, I would be surprised if this wasn't the case in most countries.