Question Should I discover my roots?

I was born to a Sicilian mother and a Jamaican father. However I want to know about the specific ethnic populations of people who contributed to who I am today. What are your thoughts on whether or not I should do this?

Deleted
    What do you mean our thoughts? This isn't some controversial journey you're about to embark on. Why do you need our approval?

Any excuse to travel is a good one.

You totes should. Root exploring is fun. I recently discovered I may have heavy pictish ancestry. So I've started pillaging around naked with blue war paint.

Yes, why not? It's fun to learn heritage. Some times it gives you perspective on how good you have it today, sometimes it shows why some core family beliefs exist.
    X

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    You totes should. Root exploring is fun. I recently discovered I may have heavy pictish ancestry. So I've started pillaging around naked with blue war paint.
    Earn that Sonya master skin!

Are your parents still together or were you raised by your mother?.

Why not? I can pinpoint a specific farm in Sweden where my ancestors came from, after some research.

/in before lol Americans and their obsession with ancestry.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Are your parents still together or were you raised by your mother?.
    My parents never got married, my biological father went back to Jamaica before I was born.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why are you asking us? Just do it if you want to.

I think that sort of stuff is interesting.

It can be an interesting subject. I'd just keep in mind that the current inhabitants of places where your ancestors were from, may be quite different now than they used to be back then. Even 20 years may drastically change people in general, within a country.

I wish I could trace my ancestors better. But there seems to be an awful lot of adopted orphans and wandering traders in my family's past, who didn't keep track of this stuff.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Sure, it can be fun and enlightening.

Marriages don't often correlate to your biological parents. The further you go back in your genealogy the more likely you'll run into a bastard or two or a dozen.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

My parents went to Jamaica. They LOVED it. For various reasons. :P I imagine Sicily is beautiful, too. Go see where you come from. I'd like to go to Germany one day... that's where a big chunk of my family immigrated from.