Please help with new gaming PC

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've been using an out-of-the-box Bestbuy computer for several years now. It's starting to overheat, lag, and die through general wear and tear. I'm looking to scrape the whole rig and start anew. I would like to build a custom gaming PC. This will be the first PC I've ever built myself. I have worked with friends in the past putting together their PC's, but never my own. And they were much more "with it" in terms of computer knowledge. Please keep in mind that I am a total newbie at this, and as such, would like to request a bit of hand-holding here. I should also note that I live in a very hot area of southern California. I keep my office cool, but sometimes I simply have no control over the heat. I've heard that having a bigger case and larger cooling fan would be beneficial in such an instance?

I would like to keep the budget under $1500 US. If there's a specific breakpoint in the price range that would be very beneficial, I would be willing spend a little more.

Per the sticky:

Budget: $1500.00
    Resolution: 1920x1080 or better
    Games / Settings Desired: I play WOW. Would like to be able to play at high settings or better. Looking to expand to other games in the future (Steam games)
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): occasional Photoshopping, nothing else.
    Parts that can be reused: Monitor, mouse, keyboard, headset, speakers
    Do you need an OS?: Windows 7 please
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? see above

Follow up questions:
    -I have a cheapy HP monitor - I would like to eventually upgrade to dual monitors. Is this something I need to prepare for now? How much will this run me?
    -Will my monitor and speakers work with the new rig?

Thank you so much for any help provided. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this and offer support. I really appreciate all you guys do.

-Grayson

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i guess first off, are you located near a microcenter?
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Deleted
    Get proper speakers, all monitors ones are really crap, even some cheapy one are better. Also why go win7 when you will upgrade to win10 anyway. Just grab them from start. If you are afraid of getting used to them and whatnot there is not such thing, they are almost the same.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.49 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Dell U2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    Speakers: Logitech Z323 30W 2.1ch Speakers ($41.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1477.18
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-19 07:46 EDT-0400

Deleted
    W7 and W8.1 are actually 10 bucks cheaper on pcpartpicker. Might as well go for one of them then

Sure, I'll give Windows 10 a shot. Couple questions though; Will all these parts fit together? I mean, I know they are suppose to, but will they really? Also, if I want to have two monitors, could I buy two of the Dell's you've listed and be able to use both at one time?

Thank you so much for your responses guys!

Deleted
    Obviously they will otherwise i wouldn't have them there listed together. The only tight fit is the cpu cooler but that goes for most big aftermarket air coolers, still it does fit.

As for the monitors yes you can use 2 of them. The gpu has 3dp,1hdmi, 1dvi-d. Monitor needs either 1dp or 1hdmi.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-09-19 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Obviously they will otherwise i wouldn't have them there listed together. The only tight fit is the cpu cooler but that goes for most big aftermarket air coolers, still it does fit.

As for the monitors yes you can use 2 of them. The gpu has 3dp,1hdmi, 1dvi-d. Monitor needs either 1dp or 1hdmi.
    Wonderful! Thank you so much. I will be buying all of these and hopefully assembling a new computer next weekend!

- - - Updated - - -

I took this from the MMO-champ front page. This is basically the 'unicorn' build with Windows 10, the solid state drive, and a monitor added. I know it's over my budget but how do you think this compares to the build mentioned above? (p.s. had to remove links because I'm still new)

pcpartpicker com/p/zhqWQ7 - is the build, just add the "." before com

Deleted
    Similar to Kos' build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($117.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($304.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.50 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Dell S2340M 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
    Speakers: Logitech Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1481.16
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-20 12:43 EDT-0400

Currently comes to bang on $1500, and includes a HUGE SSD for the time being.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayson55 View Post
    I know it's over my budget but how do you think this compares to the build mentioned above?
    Its the same setup with 16gb of ram and 2tb hdd instead of 1. The psu i got is as good if not better for alot less. I think the case is a bit expensive atm for what it offers. Overall similar for more money except ram/hdd. If you are happy with it get it.

Tenangrychickens setup above is good too, not sure how good the monitor is tho. If i had to guess won't be on same league with U2414h.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-09-20 at 09:58 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

I have received all these parts and assembled the PC. When I hit the power button nothing happens.

I tried different outlets and made sure everything is plugged in snugly. I followed the directions to the tee. Did I miss something?

(I used Kostattoo's build above at 2015-09-19, 04.47 AM - forum will not let me link)

- - - Updated - - -

I have received all these parts and assembled the PC. When I hit the power button nothing happens.

I tried different outlets and made sure everything is plugged in snugly. I followed the directions to the tee. Did I miss something?

(I used Kostattoo's build above at 2015-09-19, 04.47 AM - forum will not let me link)
    Make sure your pinout to the mobo from the power button is correct. Make sure your powersupply is turned on.

I'm with Defaulty, make sure your power switch is connected properly, orientation doesn't matter just make sure it's on second set of two on the top left, and make sure the power supply is switched on(simple mistake but it happens). Other than that swap the reset and power switch connections, it's possible the power switch on the case is faulty.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Front panel connectors are plugged in. Followed the manual and a handful of youtube videos. Power supply is turned on. I have tried multiple outlets and played with all the switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    I'm with Defaulty, make sure your power switch is connected properly, orientation doesn't matter just make sure it's on second set of two on the top left, and make sure the power supply is switched on(simple mistake but it happens). Other than that swap the reset and power switch connections, it's possible the power switch on the case is faulty.
    Can you explain a little more on the orientation and swapping the switch connections?

Appreciate the help so far guys. I feel like I'm right there but tripping at the finish line. I can post some pictures once I get home from work if that helps...

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Front panel connectors are plugged in. Followed the manual and a handful of youtube videos. Power supply is turned on. I have tried multiple outlets and played with all the switches.
    I am pretty sure that PSU comes with a little testing tool, did you try that at all before building out your computer?
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Deleted
    I lost the follow up with all the threads. Whats going on with the rig Grayson? Did you find out whats wrong? In these cases cause there are several things that ppl miss, sometimes the most obvious - it happens, a couple photos of the inside showing all connections help. Btw did you place the stand offs on the case backplate before getting the mobo on it right?
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-10-02 at 10:28 PM.

Thank you all for the help and follow up. I have the computer up and running. I had previously missing the front panel connectors and then had them plugged in incorrectly. I then had issues fitting my graphics card in the case in such a way that would allow me to utilize the HDMI cable on the back. I have that fixed now as well.

BUT I have a new problem. So the computer is working well, but I cannot connect to my home wireless internet. I have an ethernet cable running down the hall way at the moment for a stable internet connection, but as the wife is not too keen on keeping the cord running down the hallway, I need to have my wireless connection. My previous computer connected to wireless automatically, no problems. My phone and my wife's laptop all can get on the wireless no problem. I've poked around a bit and I cannot find any 'wireless settings' of any kind on this new computer. When I click the Network tray icon it say there are no connections to display.

Is this new rig wireless internet ready? What do I need to do to enable wireless internet?

Deleted
    No it has no wifi, mostly the itx ones have (the mini ones) and maybe some of the very top dog mobo's. Its only common on laptops not pc's. You didn't mention can only connect through wifi or that you need one so...

Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($48.99 @ Newegg)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-03 16:12 EDT-0400

I usually "trust" only intel ones, but the gigabyte that is cheap has been reported to be good as well. Go with what you want.

Thank you very much for all your help. I was able to get a wireless network adapter at Best Buy while I was out today. It seems to do the trick. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions and help. I'm very happy with my rig now!

Currently downloading WOW and D3. Hopefully I'll be launch ready tonight!!!