Trying to build a rig

Hello, I'm trying to build a higher end rig for gaming, video editing, and digital art.

The budget is $1500-$1700 (I'm unsure of the my CPU selection, i7-5820k or i7-6700k?)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75820K Desktop Processor
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Memory Kit - Black Model CMK16GX4M4B3200C16
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 GTX 980 GAMING 4G 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support G-SYNC Support Video Card
    Case: Rise ATX Full Tower Game Case - Rosewill - E-ATX, 2 PSU, 7 Fans
    Power Supply: EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W 10 yr Warranty ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continuous Power Supply

(I'm sorry I can't post links yet.)

Deleted
    If you could fill up the forums sticky it would make things easier and faster:

-Budget
    -Resolution
    -Games / Settings Desired
    -Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    -Country
    -Parts that can be reused
    -Do you need an OS?
    -Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tyme View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to build a higher end rig for gaming, video editing, and digital art.

The budget is $1500-$1700 (I'm unsure of the my CPU selection, i7-5820k or i7-6700k?)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75820K Desktop Processor
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Memory Kit - Black Model CMK16GX4M4B3200C16
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 GTX 980 GAMING 4G 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support G-SYNC Support Video Card
    Case: Rise ATX Full Tower Game Case - Rosewill - E-ATX, 2 PSU, 7 Fans
    Power Supply: EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W 10 yr Warranty ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continuous Power Supply

(I'm sorry I can't post links yet.)
    Couple of things....

That motherboard and CPU are not compatible at all. CPU is Socket 2011v3, motherboard is Socket 1151.

The GTX 980 is a terrible buy (especially after the release of the 980Ti). Its more expensive than the 970, and barely performs better; its cheaper than the 980Ti, but the 980Ti absolutely crushes it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Couple of things....

That motherboard and CPU are not compatible at all. CPU is Socket 2011v3, motherboard is Socket 1151.

The GTX 980 is a terrible buy (especially after the release of the 980Ti). Its more expensive than the 970, and barely performs better; its cheaper than the 980Ti, but the 980Ti absolutely crushes it.
    Not to mention buying nvidia atm is rather questionable decision. Unless ofcourse you're planning to replace the gpu within 2 years. Their dx12 performance is abysmal and we can expect dx12 games to start popping up next year.

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Not to mention buying nvidia atm is rather questionable decision. Unless ofcourse you're planning to replace the gpu within 2 years. Their dx12 performance is abysmal and we can expect dx12 games to start popping up next year.
    Thats a pretty serious overstatement. And a pretty large overestimation as to when well see games that take full advantage of DX12. You wont see developers pushing full DX12 support until a MUCH larger percentage of the install base has DX12 capable OS and GPUs. DX12 uptake is still quite minimal.

And as for replacing GPU's in 2-3 years... if you want to maintain high settings, you will be no matter if you buy AMD or nVidia, since BOTH companies are pushing new manufacturing nodes (quite a bit smaller than the current 28nm chips) which will increase performance significantly.

I dont think ive ever gone more than 3 years without a GPU upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess there are some HD7970 very happy owners around. Card is old as hell and still competitive...

Build choice really depends on how serious you are about your gaming, digital artwork, and video editing. If we're talking about professional use, then of course you're going to want more than a 4 core and a workstation grade board. Probably at least 32gb of ram too. Then you're going to want to budget for multiple hard drives/SSDs to have redundancy on your work. Your OS hard drive is probably going to be a PCIe SSD, which are rather expensive right now.

This leaves less money for other important things, video card, PSU, storage, and case.

On the other hand, if you're doing digital art/video editing on occasion/for fun, then you should be fine with a budget/enthusiast board, 4 core i7, and 16 GB of ram. You're probably going to want to spend more money on the video card and less on things like redundancy and raw CPU horsepower. Your budget will probably fit the second scenario better.

Deleted
    Thats a pretty serious overstatement. And a pretty large overestimation as to when well see games that take full advantage of DX12. You wont see developers pushing full DX12 support until a MUCH larger percentage of the install base has DX12 capable OS and GPUs. DX12 uptake is still quite minimal.

And as for replacing GPU's in 2-3 years... if you want to maintain high settings, you will be no matter if you buy AMD or nVidia, since BOTH companies are pushing new manufacturing nodes (quite a bit smaller than the current 28nm chips) which will increase performance significantly.

Well manufactiding nodes by itself got jackshit to do with performance.

Assuming OP would be upgrading in 2-3 years is never good way to go about things - maybe he will maybe he won't. I'd always assume the worst. Even if there won't be many dx12 games in near future(there are few we know about) the ones that will be out will benefit way more from amd than nvidia. dx12 puts r9 390x in gtx980ti league which makes it better choice(than gtx 970/980 from long term perspective.

Unless ofc op states that he is infact going to upgrade soon than nvidia could be superior choice.