Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    Its always weird when Americans and Europeans talk about genocide but refuse to apologise to the rest of the world for slavery.
    The UK has officially apologized for it's role in slavery. The US has too, France has apologized for its history...

Scratch that

Nearly EVERY western country has apologized for their dark past. Hell they teach it in school including bringing up the victims of these policies at the time. Those in Eastern and Southern europe were all part of larger empires so have less to apologize for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    Every single tribes that walked this earth has been a slave once, Europe first, eastern euro arent called "Slav" by coincidence
    I dont even ...give your source of eastern europe's "slavs" name having anything to do with slavery . i just wanna see how you come up with this shit

Its always weird when Americans and Europeans talk about genocide but refuse to apologise to the rest of the world for slavery.
    That's some nerve in there dude, considering you have slavery up to the present day with the treatment of women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtin View Post
    I dont even ...give your source of eastern europe's "slavs" name having anything to do with slavery . i just wanna see how you come up with this shit
    Yeah he made that up.

7+ Year Old Account
    The English word Slav could be derived from the Middle English word sclave, which was borrowed from Medieval Latin sclavus or slavus, itself a borrowing and Byzantine Greek σκλάβος sklábos "slave," which was in turn apparently derived from a misunderstanding of the Slavic autonym (denoting a speaker of their own languages). The Byzantine term Sklavinoi was loaned into Arabic as Saqaliba صق*لبة (sing. Saqlabi صقلبي) by medieval Arab historiographers. However, the origin of this word is disputed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs_(ethnonym)

Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    The Americans was never held accountable for the native american genocide. Why should Turkey?
    At least Americans don't deny it happened.

Deleted
    Not going to read any of it, but if you want countries to be accountable today then you have a lot more nations who did a lot more horrible things.

Western Europe, Italy, USA, Persia/Iran, Greece/Macedonia, the list goes on and on.

It also bothers me, when black people yell about being slaves in the past, well news flash, you weren't the only ones!
    Last edited by mmoc56c829a066; 2015-09-20 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Indeed, doesn't change the fact that they were slaves of the ottoman empire though ...
    Only the southern portion.

There is a HUGE monetary and terrestrial rant and ambition behind Armenian genocide claim. It is not a simple "just apologize and move on". Document frauds (death toll fudges and fake pictures) have been documented which are also used in scholarly work. Turkish records are still closed. Entire discussion conducted in last 60 - 70 years has mainly used records of other countries such as Russia and Germany. Some historians (who know a bit about the records) claim Turkish records would support pro-Turkish arguments.

This scholarly debate has been transformed into pure political one because of inactivity Turkey has portrayed in scholarly works in last 30 years. There are also non-Turkish scholars who outright object genocide claims.

Even if there is a genocide, the event took place in 1915 during the great Armenian Deportation. Anything prior to that is a civil war. Anything more than 700k death toll is a bullshit. The memorial of Talât Paşa claims ~900k total number of deportees. This number includes those who are deported to a place within Anatolia. The "genocide" is claimed for Armenians who are deported to Southern Syria.

The laws preventing free speech in regards to Armenian genocide claim has been changed in Turkey. Plenty of people publicly express that this was a genocide.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-09-21 at 12:09 AM.

There was a conference in which they brought many documents showing Armenians killed many Turks in terrible fashion during those years as well, so apology should be two-sided (I'm not sure on facts though was just passing by and saw it)

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Let's be frank, if we actually went ahead and taught history proper, there would be many, many more genocides.
    so much this

- - - Updated - - -

The Americans was never held accountable for the native american genocide. Why should Turkey?
    and so much this

You mean the nations of Africa right cause i know you aren't saying that Euro/America started slavery. They bought slaves didn't start the slave trade that was the good people of Africa that kidnapped and enslaved their fellow people then started selling them.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    There was a conference in which they brought many documents showing Armenians killed many Turks in terrible fashion during those years as well, so apology should be two-sided (I'm not sure on facts though was just passing by and saw it)
    They outright exterminated two entire towns worth of people, it was the reason the Ottoman millitary got involved in Trabzon.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Yeah they were. Where the Spanish for genocide across all of South America and Mexico?
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    So bad stuff happened about 100 years ago.

Why would today's turks be accountable for that? They had nothing to do with any of it.
    How would they be made accountable? By paying "compensation" to people who also had nothing to do with any of it?

There is nothing to be gained by holding innocent people accountable for things their predecessors might have done, in favor of people who also had nothing to do with any of it. Its nothing but political bullshit made up to try to make some money out of other people's tragedy.
    Depends on what side of "winning" you are on I suppose.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Turkey should definitely owe up to the genocide, make appropriate apologies and then move on. Continually trying to prove it didn't happen and shut people up just keeps the fire stoked. And, honestly, aside from admitting wrong-doing there is nothing else that could really be done.

An aside:

Are there laws in Turkey right now that would require, or could require, reparations if Turkey admitted guilt?

Deleted
    I think you will find the biggest genocide of all time was the annihilation of native American indians by the peoples of Europe and the rest of the world and our descendants (Americans) some 12 million if history serves me right, plus the rape of the land, buffaloes etc, is this shit not taught in schools anymore?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yogsohot View Post
    I think you will find the biggest genocide of all time was the annihilation of native American indians by the peoples of Europe and the rest of the world and our descendants (Americans) some 12 million if history serves me right, plus the rape of the land, buffaloes etc, is this shit not taught in schools anymore?
    It is taught in schools. Weren't you paying attention?

This thread is about a genocide that is being denied. Pay attention, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by yogsohot View Post
    it is extensively and no one in north america or europe tries to deny it.

So please do not derail or make your own topic.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Turkey should definitely owe up to the genocide, make appropriate apologies and then move on. Continually trying to prove it didn't happen and shut people up just keeps the fire stoked. And, honestly, aside from admitting wrong-doing there is nothing else that could really be done.

An aside:

Are there laws in Turkey right now that would require, or could require, reparations if Turkey admitted guilt?
    There is no moving on. As I said, the rant (monetary and terrestrial) behind the Armenian genocide claims is huge. There are international laws. What happened to Nazi Germany would happen to Turkey if claims are accepted. Germany is still paying money.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-09-21 at 12:19 AM.