View Poll Results: Is it ever the victims fault for being raped?

Voters
46. This poll is closed
  • Yes

7 15.22%
  • No

33 71.74%
  • It's the victims fault if she got drunk/left her drink unattended/was irresponsible

6 13.04%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Victims of other crimes often shoulder some of the blame for beng stupid. Wrong neighbourhood, being drunk and obnoxious around the wrong people, leaving their laptop on in view inside an unlocked car.. Etc

When it comes to rape however, many seem to ignore the world we actually live and rather focus on the one we should be living in. personal responsibility goes out the window when it comes to rape and instead we get #victimblaming anytime someone suggests that perhaps her poor decisions contributed to the outcome. It's not taking away from the crime committed, or defending the rapist to point out someone's poor judgement and decisions.

I'd love to visit Syria without becoming an ISIS hostage and losing my head, and in a perfect world I could. But we don't live in a perfect world no do we. There's evil everywhere, why make yourself more vulnerable?

So, is it her fault? Can't say I like that bold statement, but her decisions and subsequent actions put her the situation to begin with. Doesn't absolve the man of rape of course.
    Last edited by Dakara; 2015-09-20 at 08:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kaldeera View Post
    She isnt responsible BUT if you provoke a dog dont get mad if it bites
    So what you're saying is that men are animals? dogs? That they're so stupid that they can't control their impulses? Well then, for those for which this is the case then they shouldn't have rights above animals, I mean, if they can't control their impulses in these matters, what will control them when someone annoys them? what if they lack cash and they see someone taking cash out of an ATM? I mean, all those people were provoking them, they can't be blamed for acting on impulse and killing someone that annoys them or stealing cash, or raping someone, because they're simple minded beasts? Is this your argument? Is this the argument you stand by?

I hope I understood your argument wrong and that you're not comparing a being that has understanding of good and evil and self-restraint with a dog, an animal that doesn't really do and acts on impulse.

I can say it's irresponsible to run into the road without looking both ways, but the fault of getting hit by a car still lies primarily with the driver.

This is a difficult one for me. Say someone gets themselves drunk and has sex that they regret upon becoming sober, is that rape? That seems to be a lot of what you're getting at. Plenty of people, completely sober, but drunk on hormones wind up in the same situation.

Can I say that it's both their faults, the getting drunk and the person taking advantage of that person being drunk, but that the person doing the crime is the one that warrants additional punishment, considering the other has already been through something unpleasant?

Then what if both of them get drunk and have sex, and both regret it! Do we charge them as both having raped each other? I guess! It gets really hazy any time people willfully inhibit their own brain to be incapable of making their own decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

No, not really. HOWEVER! There will always be bad people in this world who will do bad things, and people need to be ready for that. Individuals who rape are told 'don't rape' as much as any of us, and yet they still do it. It's up to us to defend ourselves instead of allowing ourselves to fall victim because "we shouldn't have to protect ourselves, they should learn not to rape."
    Last edited by Alefnir; 2015-09-20 at 08:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    But that does not make her responsible for his action, merely responsible for being an easy target for the man to commit the crime.
    So people should just have reckless disregard for their own safety? She is responsible for her own actions and her actions put her in the situation for a rapist to rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    The most common situation where someone gets raped, it's by friends or their own partner, in their own home or their friends/parnters home.
    That doesn't mean I should accept drinks from people I don't know at bars, or leave my drink unattended at the same, or walk down dark/out of the way alleys/paths. Just because something is less likely doesn't mean I don't try to lessen the chance of it happening, and not trying to take precautions for my safety is just foolish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alduron View Post
    That doesn't mean I should accept drinks from people I don't know at bars, or leave my drink unattended at the same, or walk down dark/out of the way alleys/paths. Just because something is less likely doesn't mean I don't try to lessen the chance of it happening, and not trying to take precautions for my safety is just foolish.
    Why do you people constantly spout the "hurr, take precuations"? As if people don't already do that. You're not helping one bit, you hear this kind of shit so often that you're just repeating what tens of thousands others have said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blame can be assigned in a non-binary fashion. It doesn't have to be the victim's fault, or the rapists fault, alone. For example; if the victim does not make her intentions clear, but still feels violated, then is is unfair to assign blame entirely to the perpetrator (using those terms loosely, because what I'm describing may or may not be a crime).

When two parties engage in any sort of behavior or agreement, both parties must be fully aware of the terms of that engagement. Many assumptions about the terms are made by both parties, following from social custom (example: body language). The onus is on the individual departing social custom to make their terms clear. That is to say, if you're sending signals that you want to have sex via body language, if you don't actually want to have sex, the onus is on you to make that clear. Otherwise, when you do have sex, and then feel bad about it afterwards, it isn't rape.

Now, where a lot of people get confused is in the assumptions bit of the engagement. For example; one might assume that, because a woman is wearing revealing clothing, she wants sex. This is an unreasonable assumption to make based on cultural norms, and the fault would lie with the other party. Still, if two people's cultures differ, leading them to two different sets of assumptions, the terms of the engagement can still be elucidated after initiation. Example: A man catcalls a woman because that is how he let's women know that he think's they are attractive. The woman asks him to stop. If the man continues his behavior, he is not respecting the terms of engagement, and this is harassment. If he stops, no wrong has been committed, even though by the woman's culture, the man was wrong to behave in such a way in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    So what you're saying is that men are animals? dogs? That they're so stupid that they can't control their impulses?
    Are you saying men are not animals and that every man can control their impulses?

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

I'd say about 90% of the time they are OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Why do you people constantly spout the "hurr, take precuations"? As if people don't already do that. You're not helping one bit, you hear this kind of shit so often that you're just repeating what tens of thousands others have said.
    And yet here you sit saying people who don't take precautions are entirely devoid of fault.

Stay classy.

10+ Year Old Account
    We've had more than enough threads recently on this subject, and they're still active. No need for another. Locking this.