What is the best spec as of 6.2.2 for PvE? Answers seem to vary.

I have been reading Sub is the best for single target, but takes more attention to play than Assassination/Combat and may not be the best choice for a returning player until you know the fights in HFC.

Then I have been reading Combat is the best spec, because a lot of fights in HFC are AoE-based, and only a few like fel Lord are single target.

Then I have been reading Combat is the worst spec, behind Sub/Assass.

What's the real deal here? What spec is supreme?

Are all 3 specs viable? How big of a difference are they?

For general statistics have a look here: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/8#
    You can sort by boss and see what specs have the highest parses overall.

Note that it is more complicated than just looking at statistics like those. The spec choice will depend on your specific guild's needs. Take Kormrok for example - combat has the highest potential due to aoe from the hands, but a lot rogues just go sub on that fight now since there is no need for crazy amounts of aoe.

In general though, combat and sub are the two specs you will want to pick up and learn to play well.

Just how bad is combat for single target (if I don't like sub)? I don't plan to raid too hardcore this time around, so just seeing how much of a disadvantage I'd be at. Combat looks fun/simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezzik View Post
    Just how bad is combat for single target (if I don't like sub)? I don't plan to raid too hardcore this time around, so just seeing how much of a disadvantage I'd be at. Combat looks fun/simple.
    It's one the worst dps specs for single target if i'm not mistaken. But dps doesn't mean that much if you are not gonna do mythic.

10+ Year Old Account
    assass master race
    ill probably be infracted for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Sinist View Post
    For general statistics have a look here: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/8#
    You can sort by boss and see what specs have the highest parses overall.

Note that it is more complicated than just looking at statistics like those. The spec choice will depend on your specific guild's needs. Take Kormrok for example - combat has the highest potential due to aoe from the hands, but a lot rogues just go sub on that fight now since there is no need for crazy amounts of aoe.

In general though, combat and sub are the two specs you will want to pick up and learn to play well.
    Our group has always had such insane AoE that the hands melt in seconds. That, on top of not being able to use KS in the hands just makes Combat so much of a hassle on that fight. Unless your group is letting you be one of the few people to AoE/Cleave the hands down Combat is so much worse. Frustrating. >

All 3 specs are absolutely viable. Sub is better for single-target fights, Combat is stronger on multi-target fights, Assassination is somewhat in the middle.

Check out https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/8#class=Rogue for more information.

10+ Year Old Account
    assass for single target fights
    combat for cleave fights

i hate sub <3
    Hi

I don't feel we can trust https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...=4&class=Rogue

I mean, most of the rank are done by people outgearing the raid.

If you check iron reaver (just an example), they kill it in 50s-1min30... According to our guild logs (13/13hm) it take us 3min43 (with half people epic rank, half people blue rank) to do it.

You should sort by bracket, it clearly show that assa is as strong as sub before 7X0 ilvl. (or probably you just need 4pc, socre trinket, archi trinket, and ring to be really competitive)

Just play the one you prefer, they all works fine.

From my understanding
    Everything where you are allowed to cleave on par with hunters/armswars/warlocks is combat.

Every fight with a single target and switch-sub>assa

Every progression fights with a lot of switching between 2-3 targets-assa>sub.

I am a returned raider who just catched up with his legendary ring, and my guild finally killed gorefiend M last night.

Here's my breakdown on mythic things if you care:

1)TrashCannonCitadel-Obviously you want to play combat and fight for your place under the skada topping, otherwise just let others do the job, of course you can play sub and FoK-insta5CP Eviscerates metaladies/hulks, that is a good objective-gaming if your guild got good arms war, a good enh shammy, and other strong cleavers.

2)IronManFelEdition- single target with quick switches on the mines, if you are assigned. As with the single target, if you meet the gear requirements and skilled, sub>assa, especially if you're free from mines duty(rogues master class)

3)Kromrok-same with 1st boss, you're going combat if you or your raid is inneed of a bit more of a AoE DPS. If you're joining the team that works well with it, or got passionate warlock/arms/enh/other strong cleavers, go sub>assa

4)Council-questionable, some people state assa>sub, I am not an experienced sub so I'd just say that both assa and sub will keep 2 ruptures at all time, and assa benefits from it a bit more.

5)IMBLINDEDTOSEEYOU-If you are going in portal, it is common that one of 2 dps is going ham on adds and cleaves, the other hits fat adds only and ignores imps. So, whether you're going there with someone with cleave potential-stay sub>assa and then burn the boss, otherwise go combat.

6)CARTMANFIEND-For progression, use assa. My priority list was chicks>skeletons>hulks>boss, so I felt playing assa as less punishing for constant target switching, rather rewarding(pre-death ruptures).

7)Iskar-we are doing the BurnTheAdd strat, where at the very last phase you are ignoring adds and going full ham on boss. I was not required to play combat so far at all. That's my fresh newbie point of view, I hope I helped you TS.

TLDR assa is good for prog, due to easy target switching and plays, but realistically, you want assa on council and gorefiend prog, imo.
    Last edited by Minoan; 2015-09-24 at 07:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drye View Post
    It forces you to double tap. that's it. It's a great change.
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    It's just so you can say you tapped something twice that day.

If you want to maximize your damage and are a good player you should have Sub + Combat. Combat is mandatory if your group needs AoE damage. Combat is also atrocious for single target. Sub is optimal for single target, Assa is a little behind but much less prone to player errors. If you don't want to progress raid just play whatever spec you find the most fun. If you don't want to put the time in to learn Sub, go Assa/Combat.

Deleted
    For mythic:

Hellfire Assault – combat
    Iron Reaver - assa/sub
    Kormrok - sub/assa
    Hellfire High Council - assa/sub
    Killrogg Deadeye - combat
    Gorefiend - sub/assa
    Shadow-Lord Iskar - combat
    Socrethar - sub
    Fel Lord Zakuun - sub/assa
    Xhul'horac - combat
    Tyrant Velhari - sub
    Mannoroth - combat
    Archimonde - sub / assa
    Last edited by mmoc7df6ba81a8; 2015-09-24 at 10:45 PM.

Combat on Mannoroth? Can I ask why? Cleave adds die SO fast there's not really time to hit them with BF enough time imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacness View Post
    Combat on Mannoroth? Can I ask why? Cleave adds die SO fast there's not really time to hit them with BF enough time imo.
    Combat has two purposes:
    1. cleaving
    2. exploiting MFD

Even if you aren't cleaving targets down (which you probably still are on Mannoroth, I haven't done it but I would figure you're still tagging Imps and Doom Guards), you will still be getting consistent MFD hits on all adds in the fight. With Combat's tier bonuses and class trinket, MFD tags are pretty meaty damage boosts.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    This list is mythic only, should have added that. Constant spawn of adds and the need to deal quickly with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mythic Manno has way more adds.

Deleted
    The point is that you can stack multistrike as your main stat for both sub and combat. best stat for sub st. best stat for combat aoe. assn doesn't fit in with this. So you can perform your best as sub and combat in their selected boss fights. If not progressing then just go assn for st. dunno how the aoe is for it though, I am sure combat will still be fine though non progression aoe.

The thing with rogue, as with many pure DPS classes, is that it's not a "single spec class". Right now Combat is considered the cleave spec, Subtlety is the single target monster, and Assassination is somewhat of a hybrid. Ideally you'll be switching specs constantly throughout HFC to further optimize the DPS of your raid. Combat is going to be your go to spec for heavy cleave fights like Xhul or Hellfire Assault. You absolutely hands down need to have combat as one of your specs if you plan to push progression. The big debate right now is over which secondary spec is most optimal. Sub with 4pc/Class Trinket/Soul Cap is very very VERY strong. With that being said, Sub lacks in it's ability to target switch, a quality that leads many people to believe this makes the spec weak in comparison to Assassination. However, if played correctly, Sub can be very well utilized as a priority target monster given it's short CD's in Shadow Dance and Vanish. As for which spec is better really comes down to what kind of player you are. Yes, Sub does edge out Assassination in damage and is widely considered one of the best single target specs in the game right now, but it also comes with a very high skill cap. Assassination on the other hand takes far less attention to play, leaving your full focus to encounter mechanics, which can be very beneficial in a Mythic raid environment. Planning on playing at a competitive level? Play Sub. Planning on raiding 3 days a week with friends but still want to pull good numbers? Play Assassination.

Thanks for clarification, only 9/13M

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    assass for single target fights
    combat for cleave fights

i hate sub <3
    #dontbeafraidtohatesub

I dont like that spec at all. I love asssassination so much. having evenom buff up and then doing those dispatch finishers feeling soooo strong