Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you actually look around when you play these games?

And I mean pause and take in the view like proper, or are you literally watching the minimap for objectives, rushing to them, and only notice the environment after a kill while mounting up to move to next location?

I wonder how much map watching we do as opposed to zone watching, and I wonder if we are really apprecaiting the zones and environments much in these games?

- - - Updated - - -

I think gathering professions make you the worse culprit as you constantly check the minimap for them, missing most of the terrain

Deleted
    I do, I'm the kind of player that's constantly looking for cool land marks, especially in open world games, I run around like a mad man trying to see which mountains I can climb, which paths are open to me, it's all about what I'm seeing, the minimap is just a tool for me to glance at if I get lost.

That's why I have an addon that hides the minimap from WoW. I love actually trying to find where I'm going rather than just orienting an arrow on a map.

I think this game is gorgeous and I'm amazed at how many people say they hate MoP because I love going back and looking at those zones.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    And I mean pause and take in the view like proper, or are you literally watching the minimap for objectives, rushing to them, and only notice the environment after a kill while mounting up to move to next location?
    I watch the map and objectives. I do not notice the environment unless it is an explicit gameplay element; video games are about gameplay.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-09-22 at 04:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It took me 3 years before I realized that the ceiling in Utgarde Keep didn't exist in the dragon room.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I watch the map and objectives. I do not notice the environment unless it is an explicit gameplay element.

Video games are about gameplay.
    I have to wholeheartedly disagree. They are not just about the gameplay. If that was true, we'd still be in the era of pong-style graphics.

I watch the map and objectives. I do not notice the environment unless it is an explicit gameplay element.

This...it made me shake my head in rl.

Sure explains why there is a new graphics card every 6-8 months, there are new consoles every half decade give or take and graphics/art styles are a big talking point with any game discussion...

Gameplay may be important, aesthetically pleasing looks are just as important. Doesn't need to be "zomg most realistic graphics ever" just has to be nice to look at. True for everything from indy to full on AAA games. Rarely if ever will game that is not aesthetically pleasing get much praise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Gameplay may be important, aesthetically pleasing looks are just as important. Doesn't need to be "zomg most realistic graphics ever" just has to be nice to look at. True for everything from indy to full on AAA games. Rarely if ever will game that is not aesthetically pleasing get much praise.
    Exactly - look at how often people bitch about "rehashed" models and zones in WoW. Clearly environment is important.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first time I looked at the ceiling in MSV was a couple weeks ago when I tried to solo it with my DK. I also never noticed that Marrowgar's room goes all the way up until a little while ago.

Usually what happens is that I take my time to smell the roses n' stuff in open world areas, but in enclosed areas I keep my eyes to the next pack of mobs. Now in days I force myself to look around, because ultimately I have a much better experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Exactly - look at how often people bitch about "rehashed" models and zones in WoW. Clearly environment is important.
    One of the many reasons of why DS is usually rated as the worst raid in the game.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

I wonder this question myself with some people. But yes I always take some moments and take in a a breathe, take a look around and enjoy the environment. Partially why I like WoD is because the environment is amazing especially in snowy zones.

You forgot to say "To me video games are about gameplay" because for a lot of people they aren't. For me, I play games for the entire package; the music, the visuals, the gameplay, the story. I read quests, listen to all the music, and look around all the time. Getting immersed in an intricately designed world is amazing to me. I can even forgive a lot of stuff with gameplay if the world is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

This is fairly nonsensical. Effective gameplay requires multiple elements in order to achieve a satisfying end. Video games should be just as much about art and creativity as they are interesting gameplay mechanics. What would a video game even be without its environment and setting? Those are defining qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I have to wholeheartedly disagree. They are not just about the gameplay. If that was true, we'd still be in the era of pong-style graphics.
    Graphicial fidelity or accuracy does not invalidate gameplay. Games are still about gameplay, and they can still look or sound great or have a killer narrative. However, it is without question and exception that a video game is played.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Sure explains why there is a new graphics card every 6-8 months, there are new consoles every half decade give or take and graphics/art styles are a big talking point with any game discussion...
    As above, it is does not invalidate gameplay that one has greater graphical fidelity, improved connectivity, sound, etc.

Gameplay may be important, aesthetically pleasing looks are just as important.
    As a subjective qualifier, perhaps. Not my concern. Concerning the operation of video games this statement is false.

Rarely if ever will game that is not aesthetically pleasing get much praise.
    Some of the greatest games ever made (by critical response, literature, educational use and even museum presence) are displayed in black & white with simple lines making geometrical shapes. Some of the highest praised games have almost no graphics- Zork, for example, is text. Dwarf Fortress is symbols.

There are electronic games that have no visuals too- such as Audio and TTS games for example.

I understand the mundane user associate modern video games with things other than gameplay. Or may regard other elements higher; which is okay from a personal point of view. Though it is 100% incorrect to assert there is anything more paramount to video games than gameplay (the rules and operation that compose play).

One can not play or make a game sans gameplay. However, you can make a game that is playable without sound, narrative and visuals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snivena View Post
    Effective gameplay requires multiple elements in order to achieve a satisfying end.
    The effectiveness of gameplay is personally defined here. Not relevant to me.

Successful gameplay from a design point of view only needs to achieve the criteria or desired effect of the artist(s)/creator(s).

Video games should be just as much about art and creativity as they are interesting gameplay mechanics.
    Dubious. How is this 'should' enforced, defined or written that disallows creation of a video game that is not in line with the subjective qualifiers of 'art' and 'creativity'?

Quantify these terms in a way that is measurable and necessary for the operation and creation of a video game.

What would a video game even be without its environment and setting?
    If it has gameplay, a game.

You forgot to say "To me video games are about gameplay" because for a lot of people they aren't.
    It does not concern me what others believe about video games.

The statement quoted is factual without personal opinion. A video game literally can not be without gameplay. You can not make it, you can not play it. All other elements, while very nice and enriching to a video game, are not expressly necessary for the creation or operation of a video game.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-09-22 at 01:58 AM.

The statement quoted is factual without personal opinion. A video game literally can not be without gameplay. You can not make it, you can not play it. All other elements, while very nice and enriching to a video game, are not expressly necessary for the creation or operation of a video game.
    This seems like completely missing the point of the thread (and somewhat like shifting away from the intention of your first statement). You said you don't pay attention to the environment because games are about gameplay (and not about the other stuff). You can play games for the entire experience, not just the gameplay, also people make games for reasons other than just the gameplay. It's like saying paintings are about the canvas because you can't have a painting without one.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

One thing I will have to say I missed about FF14 1.0 was just enjoying the scenery. It was always fun to try and sneak past lvl 99 mobs just to get to X area that looked beautiful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say I stand around just looking at the environment, but I do poke around in every possible nook and cranny while exploring in games. Pleasing visuals for sure increase immersion but it isn't something I actively pay attention to. I have no problem dealing with 3d graphics from the 90s if I play such a game, even if higher graphical fidelity would increase my enjoyment a bit.

The question posed is going to be something personal but gameplay is and have always been the number one priority for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    You said you don't pay attention to the environment because games are about gameplay (and not about the other stuff).
    I did not say this actually. I said I go by the map and objectives in answering the thread topic- which I do because I focus on necessary core element of video games; gameplay.

I do not play many games for enjoyment; actually I do not like video games too much. But I am fascinated by how they work and the rules that one creates to interact with digital media of this type.

When I was working for a educational software company the most engaging element of the job was thinking of rules that could teach a child math or vowel sounds. The bits about UI or enticement were not too interesting to me. And I remain as a mundane user, more concerned with the operation of the game. Thus I focus on aspects of games which are explicitly part of gameplay- as more succinctly stated above.

You can play games for the entire experience, not just the gameplay
    One can, sure.

people make games for reasons other than just the gameplay.
    One may do so, sure. However, one can never make a video game without gameplay. The other stuff (visuals, audio, etc) are not required for a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgot "IMO", It matters little tho. I'd like to think in today's age we can have both, Whats the point in an epic story if your looking at pixels, Might work for some games, Can't see it working for others. Some story elements only come into play when you can view what going on in real time and not watching everyone die to the same two-handed over the head attack animation like Golden Axe lol.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Yea Fencers, gameplay is all that matters not graphics.

Why are you not a millionaire again for selling millions of copies of text based games since you think they are so amazing by today's standards and still relevant to anyone but you and very few people?

It's an opinion that graphics may not matter to you, but it's a damn fact that graphics matter the the industry.