Follower Gear/Spec

Hey all,

I'm sure I remember a thread about gearing up followers but can't find it (went back 30 pages or so), and figured things may have changed anyway. So .. I'm interested in the best ways to gear/spec your followers.

This is my favourite Templar layout so far - suggestions/comments welcome!

Relic = the immunity one; other than +block I don't really care about stats on it.
    Weapon = Thunderfury
    Necklace = Ess of Johan (just want the highest proc% possible)
    Ring 1 = Wyrdward (just want the highest proc% possible)
    Ring 2 = Unity
    Shield = http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/Freeze of Deflection (as much +block and +proc as possible)

If I don't have a Thunderfury then I'll also use a Fulminator or Odyn Son. If I'm not using Unity myself, I don't really have a preferred replacement for the Templar - any suggestions?

Build-wise I'll usually go with http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...1100!0000!1001

I don't really use the Enchantress or Scoundrel, but feel free to add good kits for them :-)

Cheers!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    If I'm not using Unity myself, I don't really have a preferred replacement for the Templar - any suggestions?
    Bul Kathos' Wedding Band or Hellfire Ring for small xp boost.

Unity is not always needed - some solo builds do not rely on it so it frees a ring slot. You can use a Wedding Band for perma cc (Intimidation + aoe damage on ring = perma slow) or as stated above an Hellfire ring for an XP bonus.

As for Templar weapon, the Eun-Jang-Do is still a very good alternative, even after the CC nerf (does not perma freeze anymore, but has a decent uptime). Damage is not much important, but you definitely want it to have lightining damage to have it proc Wyrdward (the ring procs from the base lgihting damage of the weapon, not from the specials of Thunderfury/Fulminator/Odyn. The fact is all three of these weapons roll with a standard lighting damage).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Unity is not always needed - some solo builds do not rely on it so it frees a ring slot. You can use a Wedding Band for perma cc (Intimidation + aoe damage on ring = perma slow) or as stated above an Hellfire ring for an XP bonus.

As for Templar weapon, the Eun-Jang-Do is still a very good alternative, even after the CC nerf (does not perma freeze anymore, but has a decent uptime). Damage is not much important, but you definitely want it to have lightining damage to have it proc Wyrdward (the ring procs from the base lgihting damage of the weapon, not from the specials of Thunderfury/Fulminator/Odyn. The fact is all three of these weapons roll with a standard lighting damage).
    Good call on the Wedding Band + Intimidate - didn't think of that! It also occurred to me that a Justice Ring might work since it comes with +12% Block (to proc the shield's Freeze).

I'm not a fan of the Eun-Jang-Do because it only procs when the mobs are <20% life, which doesn't sound that useful. If you go with that though, what would you replace the Wyrdward with?

Didn't notice the weapon specials don't also proc the Wyrdward - that's a real shame :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Eun-Jang-Do because it only procs when the mobs are <20% life, which doesn't sound that useful. If you go with that though, what would you replace the Wyrdward with?
    Even at under 20% life, it's still a good weapon because the proc is a guaranteed one compared to other stun procs. Also keep in mind that you want the CC for hard mobs like elites and the RG which have quite a bunch of hp at high levels. Add to this the WB ring and you have a freezing aoe under 20%.

This all goes in conjunction to Wyrdward: since it procs form the base lighting damage, you just need to reroll the dagger to make it work and use both.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Justice ring for the Unity, you wont really need a unity setup until you get to the high 60's+ and depending on class/build you wont need it then. Thunderfury or Eun for weapon, both work fine. I main WD and prefer the Thunderfury for the slow, it's really just personal choice though on weapon. You may get better mileage from the Eun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Justice ring for the Unity, you wont really need a unity setup until you get to the high 60's+ and depending on class/build you wont need it then. Thunderfury or Eun for weapon, both work fine. I main WD and prefer the Thunderfury for the slow, it's really just personal choice though on weapon. You may get better mileage from the Eun.
    I needed Unity at 55 with Barb.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    I needed Unity at 55 with Barb.
    I didnt need it until mid 60's on mine, but I wasnt optimally geared then. Havent messed around much on the barb for about a week though so havent gotten anymore upgrades. I know Ill definitely need it though if/when I play rend at high grifts.
    Last edited by Gsara; 2015-09-25 at 11:02 AM.

I'm just curious why does everyone use the Templar?
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    I'm just curious why does everyone use the Templar?
    Well, for the two ~200K heals and the 5000-6000 life regen most likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also a big fan of the 10% bonus to spirit generation, helps a lot with a generator build.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I'm also a big fan of the 10% bonus to spirit generation, helps a lot with a generator build.
    My Wizard uses him for the AP generation, since I don't use signiture spells with an Archon build.
    Putin khuliyo

The heal and life regen is better than the MC, the blind, the chicken thing, the attack speed buff etc. from the enchantress?

I guess I could see the resource regen being legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    DH can use him to trigger BoTT without using cold spells.

Which is a huge bonus, not to mention he slows everyone for 80% with the right items.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, for the two ~200K heals and the 5000-6000 life regen most likely.
    I like that setup too

If your build relies on mobs spawning, I would caution against giving your following stuns! wyrdward, freeze shield or jan do can be dangerous, as well as the templar charge...

For example as a Barb running Bloodthirst I get a lot of extra damage on the RG if he spawns ads so I don't want my follower to stun the boss at all! This is especially true when they get low on HP as they usually spawn more ads.

I just put a % phys shield on him, thunderfury for the slow and wedding band plus in my case unity.