Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Are you Brainded from Death Jesters?

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Not really, I was in the 20th guild in tier 15 and 16 and I can assure you I had worst interviews with guilds in the 100-200 who take themselves way more seriously than they should.
    A tiny bit of offtopic but I recently saw a world 1,3kish guild who were actively recruiting dps for mythic progression but turned down all the applicants from certain class (even completely decent ones) because the specs for this class are known to be rather weak-ish (and the ones who played those specs already had to reroll)

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    OP, tell us the world rank of the guild because I get a sense some replying here are less than top 200. They are not going to ask him just one random question if we are talking about the top 20. They are going to turn him upside down and shake him, in a raid most likely too.
    When I apped to a top 20 guild, the interview was basically "sup, you've got good parses, tell us about yourself. Wow nice, your trial is tomorrow." and then they brought me in and did a trial by fire, giving me all the shit duty to see if I could keep up despite having actually zero experience with most of the bosses. Fun stuff. =)

Anyways, the interview is literally the "Do you have basic communication and social skills?" in my experience. They might clarify some stuff on your application like past guild history or your schedule, but if you already possess the previous and can maintain a basic conversation you're fine. Getting accepted as a trial is a much bigger hurdle, and actually getting into the group is an even bigger one. #1 thing people look for would probably be adaptability, so you could expect similar things to what I experienced. They throw shit at you you've never seen before and want to see how you handle it, because that's what progression is 100% of the time. On top of that, you're expected not to die, perform basic mechanics, and parse well. In the longer term you'd be expected to consistently (95-100%) make raid times even for farm, be able to deal with fatigue well, and able to sim/theorycraft/micro-optimize yourself. If you've got all that down exceptionally well, then there's probably not a single guild that wouldn't want you. Oh, plus you can't be a dick. That's what kills most people, since most people are dicks.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2015-09-23 at 02:43 AM.

Back when we did real interviews it was mostly just feeling a person out to see if they seemed like they would be a decent person to raid with. You can usually get a feel for if someone is a complete dbag pretty quickly. If your personality doesn't mesh with the guild then you don't want to be there any more than they don't want you there.

A decent human being who is an okay raider can be taught to raid better.
    A complete jackass who is a great raider usually can't be taught to be a nicer person. These are the people I don't want killing the morale of my raid.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    When I apped to a top 20 guild, the interview was basically "sup, you've got good parses, tell us about yourself. Wow nice, your trial is tomorrow." and then they brought me in and did a trial by fire, giving me all the shit duty to see if I could keep up despite having actually zero experience with most of the bosses. Fun stuff. =)

I had been put to tank yogg 0 keepers after I've only done it on 4 keepers. Ouch.

The hardest part is going through the social shock of all those new people.

It's probably best to jump ship only when you won't be far behind.

I had been put to tank yogg 0 keepers after I've only done it on 4 keepers. Ouch.

The hardest part is going through the social shock of all those new people.

It's probably best to jump ship only when you won't be far behind.
    On the bright side it was also the fasted trial I've ever had. Trialed and accepted the same night. Beats the normal, "Hey raid with us getting no gear for several weeks and we might accept you."

OP, tell us the world rank of the guild because I get a sense some replying here are less than top 200. They are not going to ask him just one random question if we are talking about the top 20. They are going to turn him upside down and shake him, in a raid most likely too.
    Lol.

An interview is literally a follow up and an assessment of character. 90% of recruiting comes down to reading through logs and their app, seeing how much time and effort they put into the app and their performance during their trial period.

OP is overthinking things. You were in a us 50 guild, the interview will probably feel the same honestly. It's the progression that's going to feel much different.
    Last edited by Toastyame; 2015-09-23 at 03:14 AM.

Interview for a guild in a video game? Is this thread serious?

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Interview for a guild in a video game? Is this thread serious?
    Welcome to 2003.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    most guilds like to put people through the ringer. i think the leaders/officers get off on making people jump through hoops.
    Hi

mostly the unnessesary ones when then only thing they should ask is : whats your name and can you link us your logs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    most guilds like to put people through the ringer. i think the leaders/officers get off on making people jump through hoops.
    Yes, obviously high-level guilds do interviews so the officers/gm can have a power trip. Get real.

This is no different than any other hobby that involves teamwork and a significant time commitment a week. These guilds want to know you're not going to waste everyone's time by standing in the fire or being a drama queen or what-have-you.

Frankly, if this sounds like a "job" to someone, they've never taken any team-based hobby very seriously.
    Finbez
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological
    if only WoW had come out when I was a teenager. Back then online gaming consisted of text-based MUDs....I could type "kill orc" faster than any of my competition, brosephs, and played a mean giantman cleric.

Deleted
    Nobody really bothers about the name bit(in my experience). As far as I'm concerned, name = Character display name/something to be called in vent, that's it.

As far as general questions go.

The main interest of the raid leader is your stability and your capability. Are you going to quit any time soon and are you able to do appropriate dps relative to your gear level without messing up mechanics. They will be masked questions obviously, not as direct but some guys above me are making it look a little odd, as rest of the mambo jambo is irrelevant.
    The littles less but also important bit is, yes, your attitude.

And that's about it. It can still make up for a lot of questions and a huge app(Depending on your attitude) but nobody will be or should be asking you your *real* name. Avoid these guilds that do for the most part or just lie to them, give em your screen name. Other similar weird questions should also be avoided. If they ask you about your daily schedule and work, ok that's normal but if it goes on from there as to your bank name? Well you guessed it.
    Also to avoid are guilds ran by any sort of blood tied relationships. Drama is something that you can't avoid in such places but that will be going a bit off-topic.

Generally, just you and your attitude is what is to be asked but not in too great of detail, if it goes there, avoid the guild.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NadEFurY View Post
    nobody will be or should be asking you your *real* name.

That's a weird requirement you have here.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    Welcome to 2003.
    But mah vidya games are just for fun, ugh what nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by NadEFurY View Post
    or should be asking you your *real* name.
    How socially awkward do you need to be to be uncomfortable when asked for your first name ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianmage View Post
    About to interview for a top guild and was wondering what I should expect? My application got accepted, and now I have to pass the interview portion of the trial. Just wondering what I should expect
    They'll ask you whats your job, if you are married or have a gf, if you can always be available during progress or if you have some days off or time when you cant be online, if you can play at top other classes, and your whatsapp to be always in touch.

the questions themselves are pretty irrelevant; the point isn't to trap you in some type of 'gotcha' situation. Generally it's more about verifying peoples' communication skills than anything. Somebody who can't get through a pleasant 5-10 minute conversation likely isn't gonna be that useful when working through fight mechanics.

A couple of questions that stick in my mind from the interview from the most progressed guild (around top 30) I was in were:

"do you like the music of R&B sensation Craig David?"

and

"what is your favourite flavour of ice cream?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    the questions themselves are pretty irrelevant; the point isn't to trap you in some type of 'gotcha' situation. Generally it's more about verifying peoples' communication skills than anything. Somebody who can't get through a pleasant 5-10 minute conversation likely isn't gonna be that useful when working through fight mechanics.

Exactly. If I were building a hard core guild right now I would have had interviews predominately for psychological screening. It would not be about your Patchwerk skill, we can see that in a log or a raid, it would be about fitting in.

Ironically, the leadership should kick themselves out if they don't fit in after a point so it's not easy to make a truly hard core guild. Because most guilds will end up being as bad as their best leader.

If I were picking a guild now I would probably see if they are improving, rather than if they've only done something recently.