Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The free market at work. The U.S. government does not do shit to rebuild or improve our infrastructure so another country can come along and invest. Free market at its best.

If we had it, people would use it a lot. People don't realize what they're missing.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Here it is, Elan Musk's Hyperloop. The cars float on air like a table hockey puck. San Francisco to LA in 30 minutes.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    If we had it, people would use it a lot. People don't realize what they're missing.
    Only if it beats air travel in total time or cost. The only place that has a fully viable passenger system in the US is the NEC.

Deleted
    They've offered to help build one in Sweden too. Apparently they're good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    ONLY if we can model it after the FF8 doomtrain
    But then the only counter will be from ff6! SUPLEX!

7+ Year Old Account
    I remember seeing, I think in a documentary, that super rich people who made their money off of oil (Rockefeller/ Standard Oil) bought up the railroads and public rail systems that spanned the US and had them disassembled. It's a large reason our public transport system is balls
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHibb View Post
    I remember seeing, I think in a documentary, that super rich people who made their money off of oil (Rockefeller/ Standard Oil) bought up the railroads and public rail systems that spanned the US and had them disassembled. It's a large reason our public transport system is balls
    Actually, commuter passenger service was a major contributor to the failure of basically the entire rail industry in the NE in the late 60s and early 70s, and it was mail contracts that kept many passenger trains afloat in the 1960s. 26 railroads were still offering intercity passenger trains in 1971 when Amtrak was formed, and despite having to PAY to offload their passenger service to Amtrak, only 4 railroads failed to buy into it, only two because they had a single profitable train still in service. By 1983 there were no more interstate private passenger trains in the US because they simply were not profitable. What killed the passenger train was the US subsidizing car and plane travel.