Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Television isn't dead, won't be dead until humanity is dead.

What will change is how it is delivered.

Youtube, Netflix etc are television - literally.

Television: a system for converting visual images (with sound) into electrical signals, transmitting them by radio or other means, and displaying them electronically on a screen.
    I think it's more about whether the current model of cable television is dead or not. Even network shows that put their shows up On Demand but with fast forwarding disabled are shying away from putting ads that aren't network promos of their other shows in their content. So now you're getting 1 hour shows that had 16-18 minutes of commercials being offered, by the network, at about 50 minutes with about 6 minutes of network promos, which is more tolerable to some people like me, who go out of their way to not adblock things like YouTube or free Hulu shows (though who watches Hulu free any more, can you even still do that?) I can deal with 6 minutes of them trying to sell their other shows to me. I just don't want ridiculous amounts of advertising of other products.

Nah, not dead yet, but definitely dying.

Millenials are not the only people alive, you know.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    http://adage.com/article/media/premiere/300509/

The number of people watching TV is falling off a cliff

http://uk.businessinsider.com/tv-rat...15-9?r=US&IR=T

It seems like people just aren't watching TV anymore.

A report from Ad Age on Wednesday paints a bleak picture of Tuesday's overnight TV ratings, which come during one of the industry's most important weeks of the year as new shows are rolled out on the major networks.

Ad Age also noted that among millennial consumers (18-to-24-year-olds), viewing is down 20% against last year

Over the summer, there was a broad concern regarding cable companies and a loss of subscribers to services like Netflix and Hulu.

And a report from Wall Street analysts over the summer said TV networks were stuffing their airwaves with commercials in an attempt to prop up revenue.

---

So the question is: looking forward just a few years, will all TV viewing be done via internet subscription services like Netflix? Is TV dead?
    i watch tv alot, i cant be missing m,y daytime soaps i love my y@r ^.^
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

i simply watch too many shows to ever stop having cable. not to mention all the shows i simply wouldnt even know existed or cared about had i not seen an advert for it or managed to see its title while surfing the channel guide.

whenever i miss a show and have to watch it online it takes me so long to find the time to watch it that usually by the time i get caught up on the show im a whole season or more behind.

I just dont have the time for netflix, not to mention i like to be able to talk about the shows i watch, what fun is watching tv if you have to wait until almost a year later for it to pop up on netflix before joining the conversation?

netflix has its place, and im sure there will be LESS people watching tv, but i think theres far too many people like me for tv to ever actually die. and hey, maybe thats a good thing for americans. alot of times i wish i still lived in the uk because your american tv isnt as good and part of that reason is that the bbc doesnt run adverts, theyre on a shoestring budget because the government froze the liscence fee and continually cuts costs, and because of that they have to put more effort into their shows to gain viewers to justify their very existence.

maybe if there is less money in tv we will get more high quality passion projects instead.

but then again, look at walking dead, continually shattering ratings records.

i feel like the changing times have affected the big 3 basic networks the most, sure fox, nbc, cbs dont have 80% of the viewers anymore. but look at how many cable channels have competetive ratings with them, theyre becoming less and less important because nowadays i believe something like 90% of everyone who owns tv has access to most channels and almost nobody has basic cable anymore

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buljo View Post
    TV is definitely dead and gone. Nobody wants to subscribe to a list of shitty networks only to watch one or two shows on each channel when we can just pay directly for that one or two shows we like to watch.
    if i paid for every show i watch id pay double my cable bill.

the place im currently at only has directtv which for some fucktarded reason only allows 100 different series to record. im constantly having to take shows that arent currently airing off my dvr because i watch like 300 shows a year

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    TV: We're failing because people don't want to put up with literally 1/3-1/2 of the airtime being filled with commercials, so here's more commercials!
    stop exxagerating ive never once in my life have ever had a show ever be half adverts.

40 minute shows have 20 minute commericals.

20 minute shows have 10 minute commercials

thats how all shows are
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

TV is definitely dead and gone.
    Youtube and Netflix disagree

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    Cable companies are desperately trying to keep it on life support for as long as they can

Deleted
    I'm 29 and I only watch some stuff on HBO like Game of Thrones and news when getting home back from work. Wife watches more though.

Besides that natgeo, discovery etc.

Deleted
    That's the question I'm asking here in a way.

Traditional TV, with its 200+ channel surfing and advertising model, is clearly on the way out.

But how exactly are Youtube and Netflix going to replace it?

What form with the "new" television take, be it on computer, phone, tablet, VR headset or... on a TV screen.

What will you subscribe to?

Which companies out there do you think are offering the right package.

Where will you get your news, your sports coverage, your soap operas and cooking programs?

Traditional TV, with its 200+ channel surfing and advertising model, is clearly on the way out.
    LOL - traditional TV for me is 3-4 TV stations... just goes to show.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Deleted
    Television isn't dead, I watch Netflix on mine

Deleted
    Neither of those are TV. And no, I don't really care for your previous definition of TV.

Deleted
    First of all, TV viewership ratings aren't accurate. They don't get accurate information from hundreds of millions of people. They're estimates based on pseudoscientifical statistics. Secondly, none of that includes any warez at all, and trust me, a lot of people get their TV series as a .torrent.

Just because people aren't watching TV doesn't mean they aren't watching TV series.

Neither of those are TV.
    Of course they are...

Deleted
    Of course they are...
    But again, they really aren't. It's technically TV but it just isn't.

It's technically TV....
    Agreed ... There is not a single thing that makes them anything other than Television....

Deleted

So the question is: looking forward just a few years, will all TV viewing be done via internet subscription services like Netflix? Is TV dead?
    How does feminism relate to this?

Seriously, yeah i haven't turned on my TV in more than a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our National stations still produce worthy material as in TV-series to watch anything from comedy, thriller to drama.

Also plenty of good shows on day-to-day issues and talk shows, but those stations are for a large part covered with tax payer money which is why we can do to a point what BBC does and focus on good shows and content even for smaller audiences without worrying too much of the financial side of 'it must maintain n-viewers to be profitable or pull it'

My TV honestly only goes on for the news every day, although i even stream that online and talk shows, serious and lighter ones but again even those are becoming more available online directly from their site.
    We are losing another music station this week, what is a shame since they were fairly decent although aimed at 16 to 20 ish ages they had good festival coverage and decent playlists that didn't just focused on the commercial releases. That station is being pulled from cable and moving purely to become an online station.

I'm not sure if it's going to die out, i do know that it will be changing and lose a lot of its younger viewers in its current format. That does mean things we dislike like commercials will be coming en masse to the online streams.

I haven't watched television since I moved out of my parents house over 10 years ago.

I can't believe people still sit there waiting for their shows to appear. And then wait a week between each one. Like, what?

Or that shit where a company has too many channels so shows 10 episodes of the same terrible American "comedy" shows back to back. My local Chinese takeaway has a TV in the waiting area. No matter what day I go in, no matter what time it is, they have it tuned to E4 and it is always showing The Big Bang Theory with it's dreadful laughter track that fires up to tell you when the joke was. Which is handy because I wouldn't have noticed them otherwise.

Deleted
    Agreed ... There is not a single thing that makes them anything other than Television....
    It's like saying that Battlefield, Call of Duty and Counterstrike are the same thing. Sure, they're all FPS games but they don't really share many similarities other than that. TV and Netflix is that way. TV is something unreliable. You pay one or several networks subscriptions and then your show comes on, goes on a break or has a rerun when the network feels like it. It's more of an event rather than something you do whenever you feel like it. Netflix is like the opposite of that. When people refer to TV they are referring to the old subscription model. TV is the household name for that type of deliverance method. And that's why it's not the same and why it's false to label them both as TV.

Not dead yet, just going the way of the newspaper.