Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Rappers & misogyny

Why do rappers rap about killing/raping/beating women and as a society we still think it's okay/buy their albums/make them rich as fuck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Yo dog, bitches need'a kno they place dog.

OT: Rap is a form of art and as such not everything should be taken directly. It is also artist choice on what topics he covers and how. You could argue that rappers bring audience attention to problem that is rape.

nice bait thread. 7/10

10char

Deleted
    It did always strike me as weird that feminists went after movies, gamers, Joss Whedon, scientists wearing shirts, scientists making jokes...

But they're still not going after rappers.

I mean Beyonce, a "feminist icon", is actually married to Jay-Z.

This Jay-Z:

"You know I - thug em, fuck em, love em, leave em
    Cause I don't fuckin need em
    Take em out the hood, keep em lookin good
    But I don't fuckin feed em
    First time they fuss I'm breezin
    Talkin bout, "What's the reasons?"
    I'm a pimp in every sense of the word, bitch
    Better trust than believe em
    In the cut where I keep em
    til I need a nut, til I need to beat the guts"

Deleted
    if it's not a rapper that I make it as I'ma be a fucking rapist in a jason mask

well, most rappers are black, and blacks seem to be exempt from criticism since slavery and white guilt says so. so the culture it creates is exempt from criticism.

Gangster culture is macho, meaning very male. People who are not capable of a lot of physical violence aren't valued.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    well, most rappers are black, and blacks seem to be exempt from criticism since slavery and white guilt says so. so the culture it creates is exempt from criticism.
    Poor Eminem.

I say poor Eminem, the campaigns against him pretty much made his career what it is today.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Poor Eminem.

I say poor Eminem, the campaigns against him pretty much made his career what it is today.
    that was a different time. that was a time when it wasn't racism to criticize rap and hip hop culture.

now days, the people that rail for equality and feminism are the same people that shout you down and call you a racist if even think of pointing out how much of a fucking cancer hip hop and rap culture is.

that was a different time. that was a time when it wasn't racism to criticize rap and hip hop culture.

now days, the people that rail for equality and feminism are the same people that shout you down and call you a racist if even think of pointing out how much of a fucking cancer hip hop and rap culture is.
    I'm pretty sure you're referring to SJWs and black people. Feminists wouldn't rail you for criticizing that garbage absolutely wonderful "art form" about raping and beating "bitches".

PS: Props to the rappers who actually try to NOT talk about drugs/beating women, btw. At least you're trying.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Rappers are only one "p" away from rapers.

#triggered
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a first that i hear that they aren't being targeted and it isn't being mentioned in woman right groups.

Deleted
    how much of a fucking cancer hip hop and rap culture is.
    Oh dear, did a rap album kill your mother by any chance?

I thought I should just put this in context with this:

Just for my own amusement's sake. Not saying you're a racist. Just letting your own words speak for themselves.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    It's "ok" because they are black. If you say something abuot it, it's racist!

Or something along these lines, basically.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    This Jay-Z:

"You know I - thug em, fuck em, love em, leave em
    Cause I don't fuckin need em
    Take em out the hood, keep em lookin good
    But I don't fuckin feed em
    First time they fuss I'm breezin
    Talkin bout, "What's the reasons?"
    I'm a pimp in every sense of the word, bitch
    Better trust than believe em
    In the cut where I keep em
    til I need a nut, til I need to beat the guts"
    Heh, glad I listen to music instead.
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
    Why do rappers rap about killing/raping/beating women and as a society we still think it's okay/buy their albums/make them rich as fuck?
    I think it is because people are scared to criticize music artists. The music industry historically has been critiqued a lot for social 'immorality' and it has fought back pretty hard against social and legal finger wagging. Free speech and all.

So really, a lot of people just don't want the fight. They don't want to have to argue with Future on CNN.

Rap is largely a fantasy too. Just like as a lot of extreme metal is quite hostile and misogynistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Heh, glad I listen to music instead.
    I don't think hating on rap and feeling the need to diss it as "not music" qualifies you for passing judgement on rap culture or the texts. This goes for everyone in this thread who dislikes rap on principle and then goes on to use the lyrics as an argument to hate on rap music. If you don't like it, fine.. but don't make me start reading up some of those death metal lyrics, because they're just as fucked up...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Because stupid white middle-class kids get off on it.

Whilst hip-hop was developing in the black community in the 80's the music was much more about social issues and was much more musically and lyrically interesting. You had groups like Public Enemy who were very millitant but very intelligent, constantly encouraging the listener to educate himself.

The whole thing changed with NWA in the 90's. It became apparent you could sell records to millions of stupid white middle-class kids living vicariously through gangster rap. Naturally the hip-hop community stopped doing stuff about social issues and did what made money.

The irony is that the hip-hop community now gets accused of portraying the black community in a negative light. The truth is that white people want to see them in a negative light and will pay for that expectation.

This sums it up:
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2015-09-24 at 11:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know, you could carry this question on to some other music genres. Or even climb the ladder to a higher stage, why pay for music that sounds like eletronic noise?

Really, it is music in the end, and some of it doesn't always picture the actual rapper.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..