Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

67% of Europeans don't believe women have the skills to be scientists

http://www.theguardian.com/women-in-...-be-scientists

If you ask a kid to draw a scientist, they will draw a “mad scientist” with sticking up hair in a white lab coat, probably holding a test tube containing some evil-looking smoking liquid: an amalgam of Einstein and Frankenstein. Oh yes, and they’ll be male. Based on new research, this stereotype isn’t going anywhere. The L’Oreal Foundation have just published the results of a survey they carried out across Europe, asking around 5000 people their views and perceptions of scientists. The answers shocked me.

Based on the responses recorded in the study, it would seem that overall 67% of Europeans think that women do not possess the required skill set in order to achieve high-level scientific positions (the figure is 64% specifically for the UK). Meanwhile, in China an absolutely staggering 93% believe that women aren’t cut out to be scientists.

With this level of incredulity about women being capable of doing science, we shouldn’t be astonished that the speed of women rising to the top of the profession is as glacially slow as it is. It also suggests that we shouldn’t be surprised when teachers (and indeed parents) don’t encourage girls to stick with science post-16. Often they do this without even noticing what they’re doing.

When asked for which fields women do possess the right aptitude, 89% of the survey’s respondents said ‘anything but science’, whilst favouring the social sciences, communication and languages as being suitable. When asked what impeded women’s rise to the top, both men and women said cultural factors were important. However, 45% of women believed that men blocked women’s progression, and 44% of them (compared with 37% of men) said there was a problem in the support management provided for women.

These figures are truly dismal. Despite all the negative connotations around women in science, those questioned actually thought there were more of us female scientists out there than there really are. They estimated that women hold 28% of the highest academic functions within scientific fields across the European Union. The reality? There are around 11% women at the top.

Whether or not you think a scientist needs make-up, L’Oreal should be commended for everything they do to promote Women in Science in conjunction with UNESCO . (I am of course a beneficiary, having won their 2009 L’Oreal/Unesco Laureate for Europe). They offer financial support to many early career women through their national fellowship schemes and aim to create a multitude of role models – with accompanying imagery and life stories – for the next generations.

This current campaign, headed up by Nobel Prize Winner Elizabeth Blackburn, is entitled ‘change the numbers’, with a view to seeing more women join her in that rare club of female Nobel Prize winners, currently crawling along at around 3% of all winners. This goal can only be achieved if more girls and young women enter the profession in the first place.

Any female scientist may or may not be impeded by men and management (as the answers suggest), but she will definitely be surrounded by a crowd of people who do not believe she is likely to succeed. If the people she talks to in the cinema queue, in the bar or the student union are prone to say ‘really?’ when she admits to loving science and aiming high, the drip-drip-drip of negativity is liable to sap self-confidence and aspiration.

Collectively Jo(e) Public just doesn’t seem to have much faith that women can and should be scientists. Only when gender becomes irrelevant to how people view the person at the bench will equality in the lab even start to be a reality.

European superior civilization at its finest.

Deleted
    Clickbait headline is Clickbaity

Sample size of 5000 is not indicative of a population of 400 million people.

I would love for Science became a more gender neutral subject and I believe it is moving towards this but it'll take time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Going to guess the UK and East-Europe were mostly responsible for these higher numbers. *cough* right wing governments *cough*
    UK is at 64% according to the article, but at least they are not like China at 93%

10+ Year Old Account
    inb4 Marie Curie managed it so there's no problem

Going to guess the UK and East-Europe were mostly responsible for these higher numbers. *cough* right wing governments *cough*
    Right Wing doesn't mean Sexist and Ignorant ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic209 View Post

I would love for Science became a more gender neutral subject and I believe it is moving towards this but it'll take time.
    Well actually

1000 is pretty decent of a sample size for any study.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic209 View Post

If 5000 people are sufficiently representative of a group, it's more than enough to draw a conclusion.

Not that one doesn't need to be critical of study methods, I'm just saying that number in of itself is not a red flag.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Well actually

Not when we are talking about a continent with 50 countries. It's nothing, lol.

Big problem in the US. The trick is not to get everyone to see a possible career for women in STEM, it's for girls to see girls in STEM.

There's a whole campaign out there were they post pictures of women as scientists, engineers, etc.

Star Trek's Janeway was given credit for getting a lot of girls into management.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    So it's more about what people (in this case women themselves) think is possible and what isn't?

Maybe they need some rolemodels to chance their view and beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyve View Post
    Oh, Furitrix usually sounds more left-wing than even the most staunch SJW's, so I'm not surprised she thinks that.

I don't really see what's wrong with this. The "mad scientist" stereotype isn't representative of real scientists, whether they are male or female. I honestly don't understand this total gender obsession at all. Who the hell cares that this non-representative character is also not representative of your gender? In fact, the classical scientist stereotype usually doesn't even look like an actual man, but some kind of limp, weak, downright asexual person who just happens to be genetically male.

Honestly, will people ever stop making a mountain out of a molehill?

Oh, and I just started a Ph.D. in Engineering, and I'll be starting alongside 5 other peope, 2 of which are women. In software engineering. I fail to see the issue here.

Deleted
    Well actually

And how many different countries are there in Europe with completely different cultures and attitudes? 28 in the EU alone.

Deleted
    Can't find anything about Sweden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyve View Post
    It does in the UK. something something 30 characters

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Big problem in the US. The trick is not to get everyone to see a possible career for women in STEM, it's for girls to see girls in STEM.

There's a whole campaign out there were they post pictures of women as scientists, engineers, etc.

You sure this isn't trying to get men to sign up? She definitely makes me want to do science.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Wish I could take such opinions seriously.
    Left wing is all about pluralism & respecting different opinions. Lovely.

Deleted
    Well actually

Not sure you can apply that across all the countries in Europe as attitudes can vary greatly from country to country.

Deleted
    Well thank the divine that those people most likely aren't the ones that decides if a woman can become a scientist

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    You sure this isn't trying to get men to sign up? She definitely makes me want to do science.
    For Science! (is what I say to a GF when I want to try something new)