Deleted

New monitor upgrade advice

OK so im considering upgrading to 1440p res for playing WoW, but I have some questions id like help with before I make my decision.

Current PC setup:

4790K I7, MSI GTX 970, 16GB RAM, cant remeber board exactly (im at work) but its a decent ASUS one.

So im currently @ 24" 1080 res wanting to move up as I believe the 970 is capable of doing this for me, however FPS is important to me I just upgraded to this PC as I had terrible FPS so id like to keep it how it is 50-60under hero, min 80 other times while recording at 60FPS.

I dont raid on ultra settings I have things like liquid detail turned down abit, SSAO low, 8x textures, view distance good, ground clutter good, lighting quality good, render scale 100%. I could probally turn it all up easily but im also recording at 60FPS using OBS so I keep it there to be safe.

Sometimes I dip to 50FPS minimum when everythings going off, like during feast in mythic gorefiend with hero.

So questions:

1: 24" or 27" @ 1440 and the impact on the extra size
    2: will I still achieve the same FPS (I dont think the 970 is pushed at all currently) and be able to continue as I am just with 1440p.
    3: To anybody who raids on 27" what is the peripheral vision like? I hear 24" is the sweet spot but im interested in the screen real-estate value too.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Try it out without using a new monitor with the Render Scale option in your graphics settings.

100% is regular 1080p (what you currently have), so 200% is 4K resolution. What you're after is somewhere in the middle.

1440/1080=1.33.

Try 133%. That's pretty much how it will perform at 1440p.

Deleted
    There's also the Dell U2515H which is only 25", excellent for that resolution and the monitor is fairly cheap. I'm currently using it myself, before that I was using the BenQ GW2765HT (27") and while it was good I'd pick the Dell again anytime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    There's also the Dell U2515H which is only 25", excellent for that resolution and the monitor is fairly cheap. I'm currently using it myself, before that I was using the BenQ GW2765HT (27") and while it was good I'd pick the Dell again anytime.
    Ill have to check my card see if it has display port cant remember off top of my head.

and thanks for the tip blackmist, didnt even think of that ha. still looking for anybody who games on 27" 1440p IPS to chime in.

I heard 1440 is a big hit to performance. I'd make sure you figure out if your setup can run on the desired settings before purchasing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I heard 1440 is a big hit to performance. I'd make sure you figure out if your setup can run on the desired settings before purchasing.
    Thats the plan buddy, just waiting for somebody to let me know from their testing

So I don't have a 970 but I did raid with a 780ghz OCed a decent bit on 1440p at 60hz. So with everything maxed I always hovered between 50-100+ fps. around 50-80ish outside in the towns and 90-100fps raids with some really heavy fights dipping me to around 70-80.

10+ Year Old Account
    If what you're worried about is performance at WoW. It doesn't really make a huge difference from 1080p to 1440p. Your GTX 970 can handle it just fine, you could run it at UHD with the same card...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    If what you're worried about is performance at WoW. It doesn't really make a huge difference from 1080p to 1440p. Your GTX 970 can handle it just fine, you could run it at UHD with the same card...
    Yes its the performace hit im concerned about as I see people saying they have 90fpd in raids but with my setup i see 50-60 in raids under heavy fights while recording so any fps loss would not be ideal, but if the 970 can handle 1440p just fine then I guess I got my answer, ty guys.