Poll: How does Fitspiration images affect you?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Fitspiration: inspiring, or demotivating?

There was just an article in a Norwegian newspaper about the trend of very fit people posting pictures of themselves on social media to inspire others to get in shape. In it, they cited an Australian study that asked 130 women how these kinds of photographs influenced them, and a majority felt like it instead negatively influenced their body image.

That's a very small sample pool but the article includes a poll, that so far over 16000 readers voted on. 6,5k say they don't care, 4,3k say it gives them a worse body image, 4k says it inspires and 1,3k says it demotivates them. The poll doesn't really provide any good answers, so I was curious what you guys thought, both men and women.

Two picture examples from the hashtag:

So, do images like this make you want to get in better shape, or is the demotivating? And how do you feel about these kinds of campaigns in general?

Personally, I think it's a good motivation to see what others have accomplished, and it doesn't affect my body image. I do sympathize with those who are negatively affected by it though.
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-09-24 at 09:28 PM.

The chick looks pretty fit and bangable. The guy looks like a normal guys face photoshopped onto the body of a heroine addict with dangerously low body fat that spends too much time at the gym.

I think it is inspiring. Though people who are fat don't want to be told they're fat, they don't want advice on how to be healthy, and according to this don't think this is inspiring, but that it is bad. Simply put, fat folks want to be fat I guess. Only God can help them at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    That dude's picture looks so heavily edited it's not even funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't care. I know my body will never look like that, so I take inspiration from my own results. 10 lbs lost so far since I really started keeping track!

Deleted
    doesn't bother me. im in decent shape and have no interest in getting a body like the guy in the OP. i think its impressive that someone can do that, but it neither makes me feel bad, or motivates me to get better.

Deleted
    Eh.

Don't care much, maybe leaning towards inspiring ever so slightly, but I don't really have the time, or the inclination, to put in the effort for that kind of body. At most it might make me do an extra push up.

I've certainly never felt bad looking at a photo of a fit person, even when I was a bit fatter.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2015-09-24 at 09:33 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I dont really care, Some of the shit these people do to get their bodys in top shape just isnt for me and i prefer doing it at my own pace and way
    Last edited by Fawkess; 2015-09-24 at 09:34 PM.

If people want to be proud of their bodies, they get to be proud of their bodies.

I just don't see a problem with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really affected one way or another.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Like a lot of stuff concerning body image, it affects girls more than guys.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I will never have the type of body that guy has, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Like a lot of stuff concerning body image, it affects girls more than guys.
    Yeah, thought that might be the case, that's why I split up the poll. Not many women responses though

Deleted
    Don't care. But Im in pretty god shape atm, far from the guy on the picture but better than average. I can see why someone who isn't in good shape would get demotivated even though you should be inspired.

Im all for self improvement, never understood the whole "you're good as you are" thing.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The guy's image... is disturbing, if nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's always like "yea I wanna look good naked, too but... food".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    So, do images like this make you want to get in better shape, or is the demotivating? And how do you feel about these kinds of campaigns in general?
    errr, that bloke is seriously unattractive, its like a cartoon hulk, all veiny....uuurrrrgh.

I like fit blokes, and I try to keep in shape myself, but thats just OTT.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it depends on how it's handled. If they're not using it to shame people, and just saying something like, "This is how I accomplished this, and you can, too! Don't give up!" or something similar, that is motivating. If they're saying, "See how easy this is? Get moving you lazy lard asses!" that is not motivating.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got better things to do than to torture myself for hours a day to look like that. I'm happy to be a little flabby and go to the gym every other day for an hour.

I find American Ninja Warrior (and the original Sasuke) inspiring. Mostly relatively fit-normal people doing amazing stuff (and oftentimes the OTT people don't perform well, which is always a laugh).

Those pics mostly just make me feel meh or sorry for the people.