Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't know that this source has any such history.

I don't view "bias" as a legitimate basis for rejecting evidence presented by a group. If it is, then declaring more or less all journalistic work that I don't like to be nonsense would be perfectly appropriate - people write stories about things that they're personally interested in.
    Quality of a source is very important for people who actually want to have a critical and complex view of the world and aren't just looking for whatever information backs their current bias.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a weird idea for people -- the EPA isn't against logging nor using resources.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Quality of a source is very important for people who actually want to have a critical and complex view of the world and aren't just looking for whatever information backs their current bias.
    Sure, quality of source matters. I don't currently know anything about this source other than that they're conservative leaning. That's not sufficient for me to declare them definitely liars that can safely be ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I wonder which politician wanted EPA slandered and how much the journalist got paid to write that article. She normally posts articles on defense and national security, but now all of a sudden an article that tries to slander an environment protection agency? Weird to say the least...
    Its not just the EPA although they are the only ones mentioned in the article. Every government agency I know of wastes hundreds on Herman Miller Aeron chairs. Its the default government chair. They should be spending like $150 on a chair from Staples or IKEA but they always have to waste our money on the best chairs they can get

Sure, quality of source matters. I don't currently know anything about this source other than that they're conservative leaning. That's not sufficient for me to declare them definitely liars that can safely be ignored.
    "conservative leaning" is a straight up lie, dude. They're a PAC created with the sole goal of manipulating news and creating conservative legislation.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I'm just being critical of the article, as always, because the sources seem dubious. The source of the article seemingly seems to be an organisation called "Americans for Limited Government". A conservative 501(c)(4) political advocacy organization active in the United States, which means they don't pay taxes.

It's also weird that a journalist that normally only exclusively writes articles on defense and national security would suddenly stoop to the lower level of writing an article on a minor bipartisan scandal.
    Having worked with the government this isn't very far fetched at all. Back in 98 my company supplied (2) 22" monitors valued at 1,200 dollars each, and what where these monitors used for? They where used to look at temperature readouts in rooms, most computers back then had 14-15" monitors with 17" being a luxury.

Deleted
    Thus, bias, conservative bias.

I've never understood why conservatives are against protecting the enviroment, because protecting the enviroment is, at its core, conservative.

But then again its bad for bussiness

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Should have spent that money on terrible fighter jets we don't need.
    At least we have the jets to use when they ARE needed, like when WW3 breaks out. We have no need for government employees to sit in luxurious chairs all day

That's just one of many examples of Government waste I have seen, this is why I scoff when they ask for more money. If the government actually started to manage money correctly they wouldn't need to raise taxes or create new ones

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I'm still not following, at all, how "that source is biased" translates to "everything they say is false and can be disregarded". Nearly every source in existence has some agenda they're pushing. Even if someone reports things that are 100% factually accurate, what they choose to report is a product of personal opinions about what's sufficiently important to bother reporting.

Yes, the source is conservative. So what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Planeshaper View Post
    Wait, I'm supposed to be upset that a very large organization bought some furniture?

Sorry, I'm too busy being outraged about the $20+ trillion lost thanks to deregulation of private industries from the financial crisis.

Come back later.
    Its your money they are spending

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post

I've never understood why conservatives are against protecting the enviroment, because protecting the enviroment is, at its core, conservative.

But then again its bad for bussiness
    How is pointing out wasteful spending against protecting the environment? If anything eliminating wasteful spending would give us more funds to HELP PROTECT the environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yep. Or like the dentists who will give you a 10% discount if you do not have insurance. Good for the person who has no insurance, but those who do are paying higher premiums because of such overcharging. The EPA however is suppose to be protecting the environment, so they should in essence be using whatever is the best for the environment. In other words, do not be hypocrites. Not saying this expensive furniture is the worse or best choice however.
    Thats true. The EPA shouldnt be buying furniture made of wood that had to come from trees that were cut down. They should be buying recycled molded plastic chairs. They would last a lot longer too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    How is pointing out wasteful spending against protecting the environment? If anything eliminating wasteful spending would give us more funds to HELP PROTECT the environment.
    Oh this isn't about the article or the topic at hand.

Its just me wondering why conservatives tend to not care about the climate or the enviroment and support groups that shout really really hard that the enviroment isn't going down the shitter because they believe science is one giant worldwide scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Thats true. The EPA shouldnt be buying furniture made of wood that had to come from trees that were cut down. They should be buying recycled molded plastic chairs. They would last a lot longer too
    Do you buy recycled molded plastic chairs?

Here's an idea-- you're arguing against a strawman conservative fantasy version of the EPA. The REAL EPA is for managing resources so that we can use the resources for our benefit-- including making nice furniture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you buy recycled molded plastic chairs?

Here's an idea-- you're arguing against a strawman conservative fantasy version of the EPA. The REAL EPA is for managing resources so that we can use the resources for our benefit-- including making nice furniture.
    No, I dont buy molded plastic chairs. But Im spending my own money, not tax payer money. In addition Im not an environmental focused organization

In addition Im not an environmental focused organization
    There's nothing contradictory about a mission to promote environmental sustainability and harvesting wood for furniture. This would be like not understanding that the purpose of fishery regulation is so that we can continue eating fish.

No, I dont buy molded plastic chairs. But Im spending my own money, not tax payer money. In addition Im not an environmental focused organization
    An environmental focus means that they manage resources so that they benefit us.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Its not wrong that they spend money to buy wooden furniture its wrong that they spent close to $100m doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Its not wrong that they spend money to buy wooden furniture its wrong that they spent close to $100m doing so.
    The article also lumps in everything from the cost of moving offices to the cost of storing unused furniture. Its a hit piece. Don't read too much in to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The article also lumps in everything from the cost of moving offices to the cost of storing unused furniture. Its a hit piece. Don't read too much in to it.
    If they are storing unused furniture, why are they buying more?