Poll: Best super power show universe

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[TV] Agents of SHIELD v Heroes v Powers

3 current series about a world full of people with super powers, as opposed to just one super hero - seems like here's a heavy saturation of super hero stuff currently. Is there an X-men real life sripted show coming too?

Anyway which is your fave of these 3? and which do you think will last the longest?

and before you say it, they are all really good and enjoyable - if you don't watch marvel because you found it boring, trust me it really picks up and it becomes REALLY good.

Heroes just premiered last night, and actually is surprisingly very good

Powers is the underdog, lower budget etc, but weaves a very different story that is no less engaging.

What do you all think?
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2015-09-25 at 12:36 PM.

I love AoS and will watch Heroes Reborn probably Monday, but maybe today. I voted in the context of the first Heroes show - As much as I love AoS, I wouldn't want to be registered. I would be a Villain, maybe not a "conquer the world" or overly destructive villain, but I would definitely use my power for my own benefit (but not limited to that).

I like how Heroes was more lowkey for the most part. Like, no one would really know about Parkman (that'd be the power I would want) vs someone like... Gabriel who is just going to level a city, there wouldn't be any practical use for such a power. I loved, LOVED Sylar, but I wouldn't really be a murderer either. It's just messy and quite simply, beneath me. That's how I'd see it at least.

With Marvel CU at the moment, you don't really have THAT. Which is why I always liked the X-Men as well, I don't like Charles Xavier and LOVE Magneto, but it's the ideology behind them, but also their origins on the lower scale that I enjoy. Hulk smash and Thor gods, Chloe now being able to shake mountains... a little less appealing.

I'm not familiar with "Powers" but i'll have to check it out. I did like Alphas and loved LOVED Misfits At least the first team, i stopped watching after Curtis was killed off.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to say Agents of Shield. Simply because it's got the Bank of Marvel backing it up, so even if it's a bit shit, it doesn't REALLY matter.

Heroes Reborn could do well, who knows, but if Heroes is anything to go by season 1 will be awesome then it'll get worse and worse till it's eventually cancelled.

WTF is Powers? Didn't think a show about people with powers could have a name lazier than Heroes . Seriously, never heard of that show...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I'm going to say Agents of Shield. Simply because it's got the Bank of Marvel backing it up, so even if it's a bit shit, it doesn't REALLY matter.
    I really liked AoS from the start. I know people didn't, but I feel a lot of people went into it thinking Avengers on a weekly basis, when it was a ground zero - search and discover team instead.

Tbh, Heroes feels the most realistic of the bunch, like it really could be our world, that's what I liked about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    WTF is Powers? Didn't think a show about people with powers could have a name lazier than Heroes . Seriously, never heard of that show...
    Powers you may never have heard of it, but it is surprisingly good and in a very different way, especially if you have the usual brand of super hero fatigue,

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post

I'm not familiar with "Powers" but i'll have to check it out. .
    Itachizaku, I think you'd like powers very much
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2015-09-25 at 01:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really liked AoS from the start. I know people didn't, but I feel a lot of people went into it thinking Avengers on a weekly basis, when it was a ground zero - search and discover team instead.
    I like the show, I thought the season 2 finalé was a little weak, but I'm still hyped for season 3. I was just saying that even IF it went a bit shit, it's still going to air, because Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Powers you may never have heard of it, but it is surprisingly good and in a very different way, especially if you have the usual brand of super hero fatigue
    Hmm... I do have a touch of Marvel Burnout right now, I might have to check it out.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

If you'd said the original Heroes, then I'd have voted for that. But, as it is, AoS.

Voted AoS because I enjoy it. Also, it's backed by Marvel so it'll continue for a long time. Didn't watch Heroes reborn because the original Heroes burned with becoming just terrible. And while I wanted to see Powers it's only available to people on PSN or illegally and I'm to lazy to go to one of those sites.

Signature Created by Jassinta

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll admit that AoS got a lot better at the end of season 1, and season 2 was even better. I still find that show moves slowly in parts.
    I loved the original first season of Heroes, and so far I'm liking Heroes Reborn. I voted that way.
    I have not yet watched Powers, because I don't have a PS4, so I need to find another way to watch it. But I want to watch it.

Thank you zomgname for the signature and avatar!

I'm choosing other...why...The Flash dammit.....more and more powered beings every week.

Agents of SHIELD lacked chemistry at the start, completely changed format at mid-point, then season2 really got things working well but still had so much baggage from season1 that I don't think anyone but the die-hard fans of it still watch. If it wasn't a Marvel/ Disney push on their network, it'd be canceled for the ratings.

Heroes original started great and just lost it's shit after a bit, so I didn't have any realy interest in the new thing.

Powers is nothing accessible to me.

Flash is probably the best super hero tv show IMO, Arrow is great but not as Superhero. Daredevil is it's own thing.

We'll see about Supergirl, Legends and whatever spin-offs Marvel/Disney push out of SHIELD's ass to fill the schedule.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

well, arrow is quite dark, so Flash has a more super hero feel to it, more optimistic, while Arrow is very cynical.

but you should try the "new thing", i'm liking it

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Agents of SHIELD lacked chemistry at the start
    I liked that though, since it literally was Coulson putting the team together. You have two lab geeks, who will naturally be shy and bumbling. You have May "The Cavalry" who is reluctant to get back into the field. You have Ward who said right away that he doesn't play well with others. And then lastly, you add in Skye who is a hacker aka another awkward geek who just got captured by those she's trying to expose. It'd be logical that this group wouldn't have chemistry for awhile.

Now, you know they all have each others backs, since they've learned to trust each other - and you can sense that betrayal from people like Fitz in regards to Simmons, but pulls that awkwardness off fairly well, cuz he's in love with her. The extra people already have decent chemistry with each other (Bobbi, Hunter, and Mac) and we see Mac integrating with the team quite easily, while the others aren't due to their role type - Bobbi and Lance are more spy/ass kicker types aka Wards. At least Bobbi, Hunter is a merc.

Deleted
    They are all by Marvel, everyone is a winner.

Heroes is complete garbage, Agents of Shield is boring and cheesy, and I haven't seen Powers.

Daredevil or bust.

I liked that though, since it literally was Coulson putting the team together. You have two lab geeks, who will naturally be shy and bumbling. You have May "The Cavalry" who is reluctant to get back into the field. You have Ward who said right away that he doesn't play well with others. And then lastly, you add in Skye who is a hacker aka another awkward geek who just got captured by those she's trying to expose. It'd be logical that this group wouldn't have chemistry for awhile.
    Chemistry between actors is different than comraderie among characters. Even tension requires some chemistry to pull off, and they lacked any. Ward can be a loner, that's fine, but he doesn't interact with the rest of the world/setting well at all. Fitz & Simmons were friends before, but their interactions also felt off. It's Star Wars Prequel level of chemistry.

Skye is a good example though. hacker non-geek, was just vacant and irritating for most folks. Season2 (though the fans on this board may disagree), she's basically rebooted into an agent, hacking is discarded. The actress is much more comfortable with the action role and does a much better job portraying her new personality. Meanwhile, Ward is still the same wooden "acting in a box" guy from the first episode and for many folks is just a detriment to the show.

Now, you know they all have each others backs, since they've learned to trust each other - and you can sense that betrayal from people like Fitz in regards to Simmons, but pulls that awkwardness off fairly well, cuz he's in love with her. The extra people already have decent chemistry with each other (Bobbi, Hunter, and Mac) and we see Mac integrating with the team quite easily, while the others aren't due to their role type - Bobbi and Lance are more spy/ass kicker types aka Wards. At least Bobbi, Hunter is a merc.
    The new folks blend into their roles much better, even when interacting with folks that the character wouldn't automatically associate with they still can carry the tension through. Simmons for example, doesn't interact much, like Ward she's just in her own little box.

To say nothing of the special effects SHIELD misuses. Cyborg was a decent actor but the gear was just laughable. The drones too were just hilarious. Flash is, assumedly, much lower budget, but so much more dynamic in effects.

(And to draw a comparison, Iris was another "actor in a box" that had these emotional moments that really didn't connect with the others around her. Partly that was just her assignment as "love interest" so hopefully season 2 is better.)
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

regarding chemistry, the problem with todays viewers, is they never stick around long enough for the show to really come into it's own, to tell an awesome story sometimes you need to take a little longer to build up, I can see that's where Daredevil and Sense8 have been such huge hits, cos Netflix having all episodes immediately available, you could chain watch and able to give the show a chance, rather than having to wait 1- 2 weeks and increase the chance of you losing interest altogether.

As for the chem in AGENTS of shield, I feel Ward's more a Navy Seals kinda guy, Bobbi more the spy kind and you hit the nail on the head with Lance, proper Merc, shame the main cast isn't growing, much but at least we got lightning boy and possibly gay boy for at least part of the season.

Powers has a totally different dynamic, the show has done incredible things despite its limitations, it's got a cheesiness too it, but not cos it's regurgitating things we've seen a thousand times, it knows what it is, and it plays a different card, that was very surprisingly engaging, I found.

I wouldn't have voted for AoS after S1, but since they really turned it around, they get my vote.

Powers is a bit too low budget and I find the lead completely unlikable.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    regarding chemistry, the problem with todays viewers, is they never stick around long enough for the show to really come into it's own, to tell an awesome story sometimes you need to take a little longer to build up, I can see that's where Daredevil and Sense8 have been such huge hits
    I bailed on Mad Men after 4 episodes, Breaking Bad after season 1, and Sense8 after episode... 3? no plans on returning to any of them.