Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Why is maternity/paternity even a thing?

maternity/paternity leave***

I don't understand it. Why should someone get paid leave for something they did voluntarily? ( getting a kid )

Why should someone that has a kid get leave and the same pay as the employee that actually works his ass off?

Isn't it unfair to make business owners pay people that are working subpar ( Either they work less or they're tired from having to take care of the kid which results in less effectiveness than a rested person ) the same amount they pay the employees that give 100% ?

Since when is paternity and maternity leave required by law?

Because children are important to society. They'll be paying for your retirement.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the company wants to keep the employee, despite them getting knocked up.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    To encourage proper child rearing. Otherwise many people might just say "sod off" with having a kid, leading to needing immigration to keep up with population. Or end up like Japan.

Not to mention good companies offer good benefits to keep good employees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Why should someone that has a kid get leave and the same pay as the employee that actually works his ass off?
    God forbid we try to perpetuate the species......

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    God forbid we try to perpetuate the species......
    India and China are pretty good at it and I'm fairly sure their employee rights aren't that great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes. Have a kid, get fired. Amazing logic there. Should we just put a bullet in em while we're at it since they'll have to go on unemployment too? I mean, that's your tax dollars right? Y'all some greedy mofos

10+ Year Old Account
    India and China are pretty good at it and I'm fairly sure their employee rights aren't that great.
    The last thing an economy needs is an inverted populaiton pyramid. SO unless you want to import the chinese and indian extras, encouraging your employees to propagate is a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, lets compare ourselves to third world countries. Is that what you want? Do you even have a job?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because procreation keeps society well...going.

Your boss may want you to work yourself to death, but the State has a vested interest in its population not being dead.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I guess the US should reduce its quality of life so it can...what?

Keep up with a society that treats its people even worse than we do?

For the sake of corporations?

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Ah yes. Have a kid, get fired. Amazing logic there.
    Dude as an employer why the fuck would I want the risk of my employee stopping his work and then I have to pay him while he does fuckall or works at a lowered potential?

It's unfair to the employees that don't have kids. Why should people that work less get as much as them just because they had a kid?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post

typical dimwitted emotion-laden response devoid of reasoning. I guess the concept of productivity is foreign to you (perhaps you are a liberal arts student so no surprise) but when you have, for example, 10 people working on a project, and one drops out for a whole fucking year to have a kid, AND they collect a salary despite not doing a fucking thing for that year relevant to the salary earned, not only do you lose productivity AND the skill set/experience that person brought, you cannot hire in another person to work that vacancy on account of you are already paying the other person who is on *paid* maternity leave. That is real logic, I don't know what kind of ridiculous nonsense you are thinking of other than 'ME WANTY GIMME GIMME COZ I DEMAND'. Sorry you can't have your cake and eat it too, there WILL be decisions to make that include sacrifices in life. To DEMAND such matters simply be removed from your life because entitlement and comfort is not only irrational, it's mind bogglingly selfish. But when the average uni student is the most narcissistic piece of shit on the planet, why is it any surprise that they demand such entitled treatment by virtue of existing, when they enter the work force. The greedy cunt is the one who wants to not work and collect a paycheck, not the company that doesn't want to pay you for your absence, even if they are guaranteeing your spot when you return.
    CompSci major tyvm, thanks for trying though. And who's demanding? You don't know if that person was the best on the job before they took a leave. You're assuming because they had the audacity to have a child while employed and ask for paid time off they are inherently lazy and just looking for a hand out. No they're asking for money for a little while so they can feed their fucking kid. Talk about emotion-laden when you call people on mat/pat leave "greedy cunts".

I don't have a problem with it. Happy workers equals better workers.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude as an employer why the fuck would I want the risk of my employee stopping his work and then I have to pay him while he does fuckall or works at a lowered potential?

It's unfair to the employees that don't have kids. Why should people that work less get as much as them just because they had a kid?
    Life isn't fair and most people aren't emotionless sociopaths and understand that having children is an acceptable reason to take a leave of absence from work. Children need food, food costs money. Ergo companies give you money. It's not hard. Again, you seem the type that foams at the mouth at the thought of welfare programs. Would you rather the parent(s) just quit working all together and go on unemployment? Give me a fucking break.

Life isn't fair and most people aren't emotionless sociopaths
    Lmao not being okay with being paid the same as the guy that works less and with less effectiveness makes you a sociopath?

10+ Year Old Account
    And either way its a pointless discussion as it's not going anywhere. Companies want to look good and being raging dickheads and firing anybody that starts a family is most definitely not a good look. We can discuss the right and wrong all we want but at the end of the day it's not changing.

Would you rather the parent(s) just quit working all together and go on unemployment?
    I'd rather people are in a financially stable position before having kids.

God knows the world would be a better place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    And either way its a pointless discussion as it's not going anywhere. Companies want to look good and being raging dickheads and firing anybody that starts a family is most definitely not a good look. We can discuss the right and wrong all we want but at the end of the day it's not changing.
    Then leave the thread if it triggers you so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lmao not being okay with being paid the same as the guy that works less and with less effectiveness makes you a sociopath?
    Thinking firing a parent of a newly born child does. Worry less about your neighbors/coworkers and do what you were hired to do. You'll still be paid, trust me.