Bench Press tips with Barbell

I know that I am skating on thin ice with this, so I will be as careful as possible with my wording.

I am somewhat of a novice body builder, been doing it on and off for a good bit now, pretty much nailed most exercises, and for a while had been focusing on more mid-lighter weights with higher reps due to the odd injury I got in the past.

I couldn't help but notice how much strength I had lost on certain lifts, so have started the 5x5 stronglift program to boost my strength. This includes going back to the barbell bench press. I had stopped doing this a while ago, instead using dumbells. I was wanting to ask people here about their elbow position. I used to do it with my elbows flared out to the side, and it was comfortable. However I heard a lot of people saying to tuck them in a bit, it makes it easier to shift more weight, and makes it easier on the shoulders.

Only problem for me is, it is quite the opposite. I was wanting to know what elbow positions people here used, and if they felt it had any impact on their performance/strength/size. NOT asking for medical help, I intend to stick with the flared out elbow position so that I don't destroy my shoulders, just curious if this might limit me in anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

7+ Year Old Account
    neither tucking in or flaring is correct, (unless you're going super close grip then you're elbows will naturally tuck in)
    first off: proper form isn't about making weight easier, its about working your muscles, not your ego, and depending on how far you're "flaring" you may be doing more damage to your shoulders than you realize.

lock you're shoulders down and back in a natural feeling position, this is guide your elbows down correctly. you don't want them flared out like a T or totally tucked in, if you find you have to drop weight to keep your form don't sweat it you'll be back up in no time, just let your body adjust.

-I'm a former personal trainer and fitness model with a masters in Kinesiology if you're wondering.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy above did well explaining but anywhoo I'll add my 2 cents.

As far as elbow position goes, personally I hold the bar with my 3rd finger over the barbell ring. For my size this keeps my arms in a 90 degree angle. Its not that you flare your elbows out, its not that you keep them tucked in, you need to be inbetween, you will feel it when you have it right as it just feels natural. Kinda hard to explain that typing it out on here! Maybe the best way is when you lower the bar it should be lined up with your nipples, your elbows would be in the correct position that way.

Most important thing imo is proper positioning - you need to arch your back with your arse on the seat, barbell to forehead and most importantly have your shoulders pinned in together to put the weight on your chest and off your shoulders and triceps. Use heel drive as you lift the weight upwards. As long as you have an arched back, pinned shoulders and heel drive then all you need to worry about is holding the bar so your elbow is 90 degrees to your shoulder when the bar is resting on the rack.

Good luck, I just put on a great deal of weight while my wife was pregnant (was still lifting though), now that shes not we are both working our arses off.

The barbell should be well below of the nipple like if your focus is stength, which I'm assuming it is if you're talking about an arched back.

OP, if your worry is your shoulders you dont want an aggressively abducted arm in the bench press. Begin with it around 45deg to your torso and move around from there. If you've spent all your time to this point super flared out this may feel strange, but your shoulders will fair much better in the long run. Flaring the elbows out to get past a sticking point is a viable technique, but it shouldn't be your position at the bottom.

10+ Year Old Account
    The barbell should be well below of the nipple like if your focus is stength, which I'm assuming it is if you're talking about an arched back.
    No, you put more weight into the triceps that way. Bench press is for chest, short grip is for tricep press. You arch your back weather its the bb way or the pl way. Power lifters bench form has a much more exaggerated arch and yes below nipple line. Body builders form you still arch your back just no where near as exaggerated - it is to help put more weight on the pectoral muscles as you push the bar upwards with pinned shoulder blades.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    No, you put more weight into the triceps that way.
    Agree, the bar only goes below your nipples if you're doing decline bench.

10+ Year Old Account
    To sum it up, according to Mark Bell:

Tucked on the way down, slight flare on the way up.
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

10+ Year Old Account
    While we are on 5x5 stronglifts subject, I started it on monday and today was my second day with deadlifts in it. I noticed that when I hit 100kg the only thing that kept me from going higher was my grip. So I scouted youtube and found videos of oridinary girls deadlifting 120kg and more without chalk or straps. Am I that weak> Am I alone on this? How to improve my grip?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    While we are on 5x5 stronglifts subject, I started it on monday and today was my second day with deadlifts in it. I noticed that when I hit 100kg the only thing that kept me from going higher was my grip. So I scouted youtube and found videos of oridinary girls deadlifting 120kg and more without chalk or straps. Am I that weak> Am I alone on this? How to improve my grip?
    What grip are you using right now? Double Overhand or Mixed? I like using Mixed when grip becomes a limiting factor, just don't rely on it all the time.

other ways to improve your grip would be using a lighter weight with a thicker bar, even lighter with one hand (you also look kinda badass doing this), or static holds. all good for improving grip. and good for you for not using chalk or grips.
    Last edited by RippedGeek; 2015-10-07 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typos

10+ Year Old Account
    Double overhand grip, I have short hands and it's just easier and safer. My gym doesn't have thick bars, only standard olympic ones. It doesn't even have chalk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Go mixed grip then, its just as easy and safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I did try it but it's all the same, don't know why people say it helps you lift more. Also, when I pull the the bar up, it catches my balls and it's painful
    Last edited by Serpha; 2015-10-07 at 09:00 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    ha!, yea that happens, watch out for your boys haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Yeah, I did try it but it's all the same, don't know why people say it helps you lift more. Also, when I pull the the bar up, it catches my balls and it's painful
    Yeah, sometimes you just gotta tuck it between your legs. The worst is when you do BB shruggs...
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

Nothing increased my bench than doing push ups everyday.

Flat bench - bar should come down inline with nipple or slightly lower, it forces you to tuck your elbows in saving you from a pec tear/shoulder injury.

Deadlift grip - dont ever use straps, your grip will never improve if you do. train forearms 1-2 times a week and you'll notice a big improvement