Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Financially, marriage is usually worth it. It allows people to share costs and responsibilities, as well as reduce tax burden. However, if one of the partners is not doing his or her share, then it can become more work than it is worth for the other.

Married people are better at saving money for retirement, soemthing most single people suck at. When you are single, you have more free time, and so your propensity to spending more money is increased.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liljander View Post
    How is it a gesture of love? Because society says so? How about people grow some originality and character and peform their own gestures of love.
    No? Because I feel that way.

In all honesty if you wish to look at marriage purely at a material level, by all means.
    But I wouldn't marry anyone that was thinking like that as I'm clearly not what's important.. but the apparently wallet is.

Marriages like that never end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post

In all honesty if you wish to look at marriage purely at a material level, by all means.
    But I wouldn't marry anyone that was thinking like that as I'm clearly not what's important.. but the apparently wallet is.

Finances cause more marital turbulence than anything else. As someone who has been happily married for more than a decade, financial security goes a very long way towards marital hapiness. Love really is not enough, I've seen plenty of people who loved each other get divorced because the rest of life was simply too difficult. Either that, or finances causes them to hate each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Finances cause more marital turbulence than anything else. As someone who has been happily married for more than a decade, financial security goes a very long way towards marital hapiness. Love really is not enough, I've seen plenty of people who loved each other get divorced because the rest of life was simply too difficult. Either that, or finances causes them to hate each other.
    What does finances really have to do with the original question of the thread, which was being together, vs being together married? Financial problems will be there regardless of marital status, if they are going to be.

Deleted

Well, marriage is material. All the way back to the medieval ages, were kings would marry off their daughters for pieces of land. Instead of land, these days its cars, houses, child support, tax etc.

As a man, I will never get married. Period. Theres too many consequences for us if something would go wrong. And being as rational and logical as I am, theres always something that could go wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree. I'd rather live off 2k a month with someone I really love than I would with someone that I only like so much with 10k a month. And that'd still be the case when the latter goes into the millions and the former doesnt change.

If you're both earning, I don't see how you could ever not have enough to sustain eachother so that's not even relevant.

Well, marriage is material. All the way back to the medieval ages, were kings would marry off their daughters for pieces of land. Instead of land, these days its cars, houses, child support, tax etc.

As a man, I will never get married. Period. Theres too many consequences for us if something would go wrong. And being as rational and logical as I am, theres always something that could go wrong.
    I'm sorry you feel that way.
    Last edited by Evolixe; 2015-09-26 at 03:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people get married because they're sheep, not because they really want to live until death with the person of their choosing.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Most people get married because they're sheep, not because they really want to live until death with the person of their choosing.
    That's even worse than marrying purely for material reasons.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...h-people/?_r=0

Marriage Is for Rich People
    By CATHERINE RAMPELL FEBRUARY 6, 2012 10:00 AM

A new report, by Michael Greenstone and Adam Looney of the Hamilton Project, looked at the decline in marriage rates over the last 50 years and found a strong connection to income. Dwindling marriage rates are concentrated among the poor — the very people whose living standards would be most improved by having a second household income.

Marriage rates have also fallen for women in that age group on most, though not all, rungs of the income ladder. As with men, the declines are biggest among the poorest workers. For the bottom 70 percent of middle-aged working women — the women who, a generation earlier, would have needed a husband to support them — marriage rates declined by more than 15 percentage points in the last 40 years. But marriage rates for the top 10 percent of female earners either held steady or rose.

Rich men are marrying rich women, creating doubly rich households for them and their children. And the poor are staying poor and alone.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    I don't agree. I'd rather live off 2k a month with someone I really love than I would with someone that I only like so much with 10k a month. And that'd still be the case when the latter goes into the millions and the former doesnt change.

If you're both earning, I don't see how you could ever not have enough to sustain eachother so that's not even relevant.
    Why not live with 10k with someone you love? Best of both worlds.

Dont be sorry. I'm happy to be revealed to the truth. Especially at my young age.

Is it worth it. I think so, as long as it's a stable/equal relationship. I enjoy being married to my wife.

That being said, if she dies or leaves me, I will probably never re-marry. I don't think anyone else is capable of putting up with my shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    What does finances really have to do with the original question of the thread, which was being together, vs being together married? Financial problems will be there regardless of marital status, if they are going to be.
    There are financial benefits in the United States for being legally married. The tax burden is significantly lighter for married couples.

Getting married, maybe, getting kids, no.

Marriage in this country brings a financial incentive. Depending on tax status, it can save people a great deal of money. Sure, it's not very romantic to talk about money in regards to marriage, but that's what marriage really boils down to... a partnership. Much of that partnership is financial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not live with 10k with someone you love? Best of both worlds.
    Because I can't choose the income of my spouse?

It doesn't play a part in my selection for a partner. Not even very slightly.
    For all I care she doesn't earn anything as long as she has everything else I'm looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Marriage in this country brings a financial incentive. Depending on tax status, it can save people a great deal of money. Sure, it's not very romantic to talk about money in regards to marriage, but that's what marriage really boils down to... a partnership. Much of that partnership is financial.
    I know how it works bud, It's just that that part of marriage is a bonus and not the main reason for me.

It doesn't play a part in my selection for a partner. Not even very slightly.
    For all I care she doesn't earn anything as long as she has everything else I'm looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

I know how it works bud, It's just that that part of marriage is a bonus and not the main reason for me.
    My wife and I didn't get married because of financial reasons, but our financial security is one of the reasons we have been so happily married (and happy in general).

10+ Year Old Account
    My wife and I didn't get married because of financial reasons, but our financial security is one of the reasons we have been so happily married (and happy in general).
    That's great! But not really what I was getting at so idk why you responded then.

Deleted
    Yea, you're right. My bad! Somehow I was under the impression that if you marry you would lose alot of you're income.

Speaking of marriage, those unaware should look up the term MGTOW. You dont have to follow it, or accept it. Hell, majority of people hate it. Just learn what it is and why it exists. It could save you alot of trouble.

Just wanna help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Especially at my young age.
    That explains a lot..

I was young too once, and I too had no idea what I am talking about
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That explains a lot..

I was young too once, and I too had no idea what I am talking about
    What do you mean exactly? No really, enlighten a young fool with your ancient wisdom, I'm curious.