10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.

College education

I'm about 3 semesters in, i have 24 credit hours and will probably have 30 after this semester and I'm really starting to have doubts. I am working on a computer security degree.

With the way the economy is, and the level of education i'm receiving, i'm really beginning to wonder if it's worth it. I'm 12 thousand in debt as of the end of this semester, and I will have at least that much more before I get my associate's. I just wonder if this is really worth it.. I've been leaning towards something like real estate, seems that's a much quicker path back to the workforce, and would be a much more beneficial career to be in. I'm talking about a Realtor's, and broker's licenses.

I just want a bit of advice, should I just keep plodding along for this degree, I have not learned much of anything, it's just been proving merit so far, and just spitting back facts you find in a textbook with no real knowledge to be had.

You need to think this over hard by yourself. No-one else can give you the right answer, do what you feel is the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    I just want a bit of advice, should I just keep plodding along for this degree, I have not learned much of anything, it's just been proving merit so far, and just spitting back facts you find in a textbook with no real knowledge to be had.
    The first two years of any degree are basically like this. It's just the necessary background to get to stuff that you actually have to think about and struggle with.

Also, how are you generating that much debt? You could probably save yourself thousands by just not buying textbooks. Mooch off of friends or use the library.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    The first two years of any degree are basically like this. It's just the necessary background to get to stuff that you actually have to think about and struggle with.

Also, how are you generating that much debt? You could probably save yourself thousands by just not buying textbooks. Mooch off of friends or use the library.
    That's sort of what I was thinking, anyone is gonna have doubts. I'm not sure, i go to a university and that shit is expensive as hell, 6k a semester. 2500 in grants doesn't really take care of much of it. I rented textbooks, took most of the sting out of it, but still 200 a semester is much better than what some folks end up paying.

Go for a liberal arts degree. They pay tons of dollars.

Also IT degrees are good to get into. You can make lots of bank in the IT field once you get good. If you are doubting your skills or your interest in it then you really need to sit and think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just seems I've done nothing but parrot back information. The interest is there, but it's waning with all these silly hoops.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been leaning towards something like real estate, seems that's a much quicker path back to the workforce...
    If all you are interested in is quickly getting a job then just go out and get a job. If you have that much doubt in the major and are even interested in other fields then school is entirely a waste of money for you.

The entire point of college is to start a career.

Just going for the shit of it with no specific goal in mind other than getting a job means you will come out with a shit ton of debt and a degree that is useless to most fields.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2015-09-27 at 02:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I was on the same situation but I got pissed at all the rules (Must take x courses completely unrelated with major to meet gordon rule must take another set of courses to meet global citizenship rule, must take 2 classes on summer etc) they made up to milk $ and started looking for a job. Right now I don't make a lot but my work benefits are unbelievable compared to the standard( or lack of thereof in the US) 7 hr workday 3 weeks paid vacation and a lot of other cool shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Just seems I've done nothing but parrot back information. The interest is there, but it's waning with all these silly hoops.
    yeah you'll have that. I suggest if you have the time and the cash while you're working on your degree to take it upon yourself to also work on certifications. Expand your knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    More and more a college degree by itself is becoming less important. If you want to stick with it, you need to start diversifying, actively going beyond the core material and making yourself a competitive candidate for a future employer. In terms of switching, well... have to remember that you'll go through the rest of your life knowing you put in 12 thousand dollars without getting anything from it, which is a pretty big blow.

I personally don't understand people who "just want to do X and I have to take these useless classes." Frequent thread topic here.

No wonder so many posters here have ridiculously limited world views.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Computer security? You can teach yourself to do that. I'm not even sure a degree will help you land a job, maybe a government job. You have to really love that kind of work and since you're not doing it on your own I'm thinking you're entering the biz just because you heard it paid well and there's job security.

All that time you're wasting in college, you could be spending in an entry level job, making money.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm about 3 semesters in, i have 24 credit hours and will probably have 30 after this semester and I'm really starting to have doubts. I am working on a computer security degree.

With the way the economy is, and the level of education i'm receiving, i'm really beginning to wonder if it's worth it. I'm 12 thousand in debt as of the end of this semester, and I will have at least that much more before I get my associate's. I just wonder if this is really worth it.. I've been leaning towards something like real estate, seems that's a much quicker path back to the workforce, and would be a much more beneficial career to be in. I'm talking about a Realtor's, and broker's licenses.

How are you $12k in debt for half an associates? You should be able to do community college for practically nothing.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    How are you $12k in debt for half an associates? You should be able to do community college for practically nothing.
    the price of community college is quickly rising as well. it also depends on the degree.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    the price of community college is quickly rising as well. it also depends on the degree.
    That's crazy. When I was in college, Community College was literally free (aside from books). Subsidized by the government.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    that is what college was for me I had some serious doubts my last year but at that point I said no way I'm changing majors again. Now that I am out of school and have a job I can say the only thing school does is give you the base employers are looking for. I don't think for the most part they really care what your degree is in just the fact that you have one.