Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Rich people in Netherlands buying land to avoid refugee shelters in neighbourhood

http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/4133767/...len-kopen.html

Dutch article, TLCR: Rich people plan on buying land which is destined to become a refugee shelter in their neighbourhood. A small collective is willing to buy the land instead, to have it privately owned so the shelter cant be build. Might be an idea for germany, sweden, etc. aswell? People are willing to pay 600.000 euro's just to avoid having a refugee shelter nearby. Thoughts?

Well if i was rich i wouldn't want to move into a neighbourhood with a refugee shelter in it. Even if it may seem like a dickish/racist move, i understand why they're doing it (not saying that they aren't racist etc).

Personally though i don't really give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/4133767/...len-kopen.html

Dutch article, TLCR: Rich people plan on buying land which is destined to become a refugee shelter in their neighbourhood. A small collective is willing to buy the land instead, to have it privately owned so the shelter cant be build. Might be an idea for germany, sweden, etc. aswell? People are willing to pay 600.000 euro's just to avoid having a refugee shelter nearby. Thoughts?
    Of course, no one wants to live near a lot of muslims if they can avoid it and that goes for both those who are against islamic immigration and those who can't get enough of it.

And then the rich people call the less fortunate racists when all the time it's the less fortunate who are impacted the most by immigration. Sure there might be 1 actual racist out of a hundred people but mostly people without a lot of money are worried about the change immigrants bring, worried about losing jobs to them, and worried about having to live next door to them.

Immigrants have pretty much zero impact on the rich so the rich can afford to appear enlightened.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Very nice idea, bet that people will love those that buy it out.
    I wouldn't want to live near muslims as well as I'm Christian. I'd be constantly worried that I might be beheaded

Honestly, I don't blame them really.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Keep in mind that these are the same people that control and influence policy. Politicians letting in refugees and then making sure it's not in their own backyard.

But let's continue on protecting the wealthy, like loyal lapdogs. The silver spoons up their behinds need some polishing, better get to it.
    Link a source where its proven that these people have direct connections to the politicians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Keep in mind that these are the same people that control and influence policy. Politicians letting in refugees and then making sure it's not in their own backyard.

But let's continue on protecting the wealthy, like loyal lapdogs. The silver spoons up their behinds need some polishing, better get to it.
    Actually, it was done because the local government claimed there was no money to host a carnival, circus or a market but there somehow was enough to build a refugee shelter which the locals didn't agree with. So instead they wanted to buy the land and make an investment which end up being more profitable for the whole community. Seems fair.

It's understandable. Their property value would plummet. Better use of money to buy the empty land than to take the massive hit in property value.

Deleted
    I would do the same!

Luckily I already own pretty much all the land in the area here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    First they need the town to sell it to them, good luck with that.

www.freaking reality.com
    Source doesnt work.
    Please try again.

Good move, a refugee shelter nearby would cause their land values to plummet.

Deleted
    If the government wants your land, they will get it. just how it works. usually they offer you a decent price first, and if you hold out a bit you can get more, but if you hold out to long they will just take it by force of law and you get nothing.

it's just a big gamble they don't want it bad enough for only a shelter.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2015-09-27 at 09:39 AM.

Wise move. What else is there to say, really.

Deleted
    Pretty sad really, I don't understand the fear, then again, I'm not a coward.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's almost cute how passively-aggressive these people in Europe seem to be with dealing with their "problems." Or it would be, if it weren't so depressingly sad.

"Integrate immigrants? They should integrate themselves! It's not our job to, even if we're the ones that care if they're integrated or not!"

"Immigrants wont integrate? Well let's stop them from immigrating here by putting in quotas! That will certainly teach all the ones that have immigrated here a lesson or two!"

"Crap we still have immigrants? Well... let's buy up all the land so they can't put them near us!"

I swear, it's like every single potential issue is just being shunted down to the next-crappiest way of dealing with it.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It's almost cute how passively-aggressive these people in Europe seem to be with dealing with their "problems." Or it would be, if it weren't so depressingly sad.

"Integrate immigrants? They should integrate themselves! It's not our job to, even if we're the ones that care if they're integrated or not!"

"Immigrants wont integrate? Well let's stop them from immigrating here by putting in quotas! That will certainly teach all the ones that have immigrated here a lesson or two!"

"Crap we still have immigrants? Well... let's buy up all the land so they can't put them near us!"

I swear, it's like every single potential issue is just being shunted down to the next-crappiest way of dealing with it.
    Its not about immigrants its about refugees

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Its not about immigrants its about refugees
    I tend to see the same repetitive, defeatist complaints about both, so I think my observation still stands.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Refugee shelters decreases your land value for quite a bit. So in a way if you have a big house, it's very logical thing to do.