Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Some have never taken an astronomy class. Is something only impressive if you've not done it? Come on mate, you're being as much of a twat as he is.
    That, my friend, is called building an empire.

The best part of this tread is the part where people mock social media for trying to get the guuberdumb masses interested in astronomy and NASA by using terminology they are comfortable supporting and talking about.

Because as we all know, the less voters that care about science, the better it works out for everyone.

/rolleyes.

It's been cloudy for most of the other celestial events this year, but its looking like it will actually be clear tonight, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm in the boonies so it will be nice and dark, I just wish it was going to be a little warmer.

Make sure to publicly humiliate your less-sciency friends for talking about the "Supermoon" by pointing out how dumb calling it the "Super Blood Moon of the Apocalypse" or anything similar, and not referring to it by its proper terminology!

The best way to get people interested in the moon is by not pointing out how cool it can look sometimes!

WTF is this bullshit...

Amateur Hipster Astronomy?

Sit the fuck down and get excited with your friends, turdle(s).
    Last edited by Emageht Tsoluoy; 2015-09-27 at 10:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope there aren't any Saiyan that still have their tail
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    Hope there aren't any Saiyan that still have their tail
    If that were to become a case...

Then we're officially screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    You guys have gotten me all confused now. I'm not using a lens that's so powerful I see the craters and it's obnoxiously bright (though I could if I wanted), I'm just using a weaker lens to see it alittle closer and to be able to take some photos using the telescope.
    Oh, Apologies! I understood what you meant from the get go and I'm pretty sure all did. It's called trolling, you are intimately familiar, I'm sure.
    That, my friend, is called building an empire.

Deleted
    I was going to wake up at 04 to get a look at it but woke up 30 minutes ago so might aswell stay up!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, you don't, but seeing it up close is just that much more awesome Plus, my telescope takes pictures, so I can get a really nice shot.
    I wouldn't mind if you post your photo series somewhere so I can look at them moon pics, too. I'm afraid I don't have a telescope.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

When is this going down for the northeast of the US? (EST)

Deleted
    From 9:07 pm Sunday evening to 12:27 am Monday morning (Eastern time), the eclipse will be in full swing, with the zenith of the whole event expected to take place at precisely 10:11 pm EST. The partial eclipse phase, during which the moon will slowly make its way into Earth’s shadow, will span about an hour, and the full eclipse, during which the moon will appear the most stunning in its red glory, will go on for a full 72 minutes, so from 10:11 until 11:23 pm. For the remainder of the time, the moon will slowly move out of Earth’s shadow, and viewers will be able to see the moon slowly shed its red robes and return to its normal, iridescent glow.
    That is what I could find .

Deleted
    and when for europe? dont want to miss it

10+ Year Old Account
    Stupid 4am supermoon. Can't it set the timer according to where it will appear and pop up at a more appropriate time like 10-12pm or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    From 4:11 til 5:24 there will be a full eclipse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    Starting in 35 minutes here in Sweden but it will be strongest between 04:11 and 05:24

10+ Year Old Account
    Just looked at the moon, doesn't look any different.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh shit, It's now changing colour, and getting dimmer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Am I the only one around here who's sick and tired of hearing people say "Supermoon" every time the moon is at perigee?

"Durr did you hear? It's a super moon tonight!" Like it's some kind of rare astronomical event. Which it isn't.
    well, there won't be another one until 2033 where the moon at perigee coincides with a lunar eclipse.....so maybe you could be a little less curmudgeonly about this one?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Stupid clouds ruining another eclipse for me. Can't wait to get back to the desert where these things don't exist.
    no, you can just look forward to haze and dust all the sodding time.....

beautifully clear here, going to head out to the top of the long mynd (big hill in Shropshire hill AONB) in a bit and walk to the top for the best views

Deleted
    God damnit! Starting to get very cloudy here now. Can't see the moon anymore

Deleted
    Got a perfectly clear sky and a bright moon but it AINT red or big.
    Looks just like a normal full moon to me.
    Overhyped BS if you ask me.

Unfortunately the clouds aren't cooperating here in Bowling Green tonight.