Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    But if you just cover yourself in pixie dust and say "I think I can" you can be anything you want to be...Welcome to Conservative Fantasy Land!

Gee if this was the case the Chicago Public School System wouldn't have its teachers on strike due to shitty pay every other year. Are you going to prove your claims or just continue to talk out of your ass?
    They are on strike for shitty pay given the environment they have to work in...strawman much?

And given your last comment who is talking out of their ass? Answer honestly now

Prove my claims? What do you want me to prove? What I linked to you in your, not so thought out, comment before or the one where all teachers have a degree in education? Do I really need to prove that?

Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post
    Thanks?

I'm challenging you to work with me to solve a problem and this is your response. Let's get real and get to work.
    I'm interested in empirical data, not personal anecdotes and platitudes. Engage with evidence or don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vago View Post
    They are on strike for shitty pay given the environment they have to work in...strawman much?

And given your last comment who is talking out of their ass? Answer honestly now
    Considering according to the SNAP Calculator for Tennessee a single mother with one child only gets $211 in benefits based on paying rent in a $650 apartment and making $20,000/year -- so far from your $557 claim.

Claiming that people can go to school for free and linking a page that covers pell grants which even says it only covers up to $5500 if you're selected.

And declaring that a school that lacks proper funding is going to supply the same education as one that is properly funded based on the teacher salary is absurd.

Please continue to talk out of your ass and lie to us...It's amusing.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'm interested in empirical data, not personal anecdotes and platitudes. Engage with evidence or don't.
    I'm giving you data. Empirical data includes observational data. Every person I know mobile or not, has worked or not worked for it.

The question I keep asking myself is why does someone, so passionate about immobilization of western society, choose not to work to solve the problem?

The only answer I can come up with is you are a symptom of the problem. Choose to complain instead of taking matters into their own hands.

Prove me wrong, empirical data or not.

I really have no clue what you're going on about at this point. What are you looking for? Proof that I've worked to improve social mobility?

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Considering according to the SNAP Calculator for Tennessee a single mother with one child only gets $211 in benefits based on paying rent in a $650 apartment -- so far from your $557 claim.

Claiming that people can go to school for free and linking a page that covers pell grants which even says it only covers up to $5500 if you're selected.

And declaring that a school that lacks proper funding is going to supply the same education as one that is properly funded based on the teacher salary is absurd.

Please continue to talk out of your ass and lie to us...It's amusing.
    And what if they don't pay anything?

You do realize that FASFA is based off of an individual or individuals parents income right? And based off of said income you either pay or you qualify for grants...guess what the poor people get? Keep trying though, you are doing a good job.

So, please with your infinite wisdom, are they different? Are you saying the highest paid teachers in American are under qualified?

And yes, you are amusing I love watching liberals head spins when truth is told.

Here as long as your parents make under 60k per year you can go to Harvard with no upfront cost out of pocket

http://www.collegeview.com/articles/...38-grant-myths

lol oh you tickle me. HARVARD!!!!

But go ahead, keep getting mad! You progressive you!!!

And just to add, you do also, realize that 5500 is per semester year...which qualifies you for something the likes of UNC Chapel Hill and the likes...guess that isn't good enough for poor folk, then again...you probably don't
    Last edited by Vago; 2015-10-02 at 02:26 AM.

I really have no clue what you're going on about at this point. What are you looking for? Proof that I've worked to improve social mobility?
    Not at all.

You're an intelligent person. Non-intelligent people complain about their position without making decisions to improve their position.

This is not you. As an intelligent person, you are responsible for solving problems that non-intelligent people are incapable of solving.

Let's get to work and solve some problems.

Looking at the data, there isn't a solution that we can help to implement (unless you're in the government which I doubt). So let's start with one person.
    Last edited by Karaoke; 2015-10-02 at 02:28 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    What if a guy wants to have a child and a woman doesn't? Should she have a child she doesn't want just because her boyfriend wants one? Should work both ways, are you starting to see the flaws in your logic now?
    No he should find a woman that acually wants to have children with him do u even understand the word logic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    So what do you want, exactly? A form of pure communism or something? To live alone on a desert island?

Really, what is your idea of "freedom"?
    Actual total freedom would wind up looking a lot like chaos. No one in any structured, functioning society is actually free, because with that structure has inherent limitations and perceived responsibilities that come along with it.

The whole "freedom isn't free" always makes me laugh. But I digress.

Are you just pretending that the funding available to a school has no outcome? That going to school in a wealthy area has no difference than going to one in a poor area? Seriously?
    The highest funded districts in the country are not in wealthy areas. At the funding levels present across the United States, you'd have a very difficult time demonstrating the marginal value of more spending is above zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post
    Not at all.

You're an intelligent person. Non-intelligent people complain about their position without making decisions to improve their position.

This is not you. As an intelligent person, you are responsible for solving problems that non-intelligent people are incapable of solving.

Let's get to work and solve some problems.

Looking at the data, there isn't a solution that we can help to implement (unless you're in the government which I doubt). So let's start with one person.
    You're not going to get a straight answer from Wells. He's only capable of complaining and dodging straight answers. He's not capable of actually being useful.

So, please with your infinite wisdom, are they different? Are you saying the highest paid teachers in American are under qualified?
    Has nothing to do with the fucking teachers.... if they don't have the money to buy the proper materials they won't get the same opportunities.

Money buys those materials, and if the school doesn't have the money to buy it they ask the parents/ students/ familes to help provide them and if they can't buy them the school doesn't get them.

How well versed in literature do you think a child will be if they never get a chance to read enough books? How well do you think a child will understand chemistry if they can't have a lab? how well do you think a child will learn and understand physical education if the school doesn't have a gym/ the equipment (in the kinds of neighborhoods we're talking about doing it outside isn't a realistic option)? How well do you think a child will understand advanced math if they don't have access to calculators that can do it? How well do you think a child will understand computers if they don't have access to them in school? How well do you think a child will learn, in general, if the class they're in has 40 kids in it because the school can't afford to hire more teachers?

Also, while all teachers are qualified to be teachers... I seriously hope you're not going to try and argue that all teachers are good teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Has nothing to do with the fucking teachers.... if they don't have the money to buy the proper materials they won't get the same opportunities.

Money buys those materials, and if the school doesn't have the money to buy it they ask the parents/ students/ familes to help provide them and if they can't buy them the school doesn't get them.

How well versed in literature do you think a child will be if they never get a chance to read enough books? How well do you think a child will understand chemistry if they can't have a lab? how well do you think a child will learn and understand physical education if the school doesn't have a gym/ the equipment (in the kinds of neighborhoods we're talking about doing it outside isn't a realistic option)? How well do you think a child will understand advanced math if they don't have access to calculators that can do it? How well do you think a child will understand computers if they don't have access to them in school? How well do you think a child will learn, in general, if the class they're in has 40 kids in it because the school can't afford to hire more teachers?

Also, while all teachers are qualified to be teachers... I seriously hope you're not going to try and argue that all teachers are good teachers.
    As someone has already pointed out in this thread, schools in poor areas have the highest funding. Please stop using education, availability, as an excuse. Everything a child needs in order to learn and become an educated person in our society is provided in every single school. States hand out the curriculum books, every school as a library, every school has at least one computer lab starting in elementary school. There is simply no excuse!

And if you happen to actually read the thread and not cherry pick a couple of lines you would see that I said all teachers meet the same qualifications but not all teachers really care. I also said that the reason behind that is probably better suited for another thread.

Mark Zuckerberg donated $100 million to an underfunded school system.

The entire experiment was an utter failure.

Teachers gained around $3,000 yearly while "consultants" were paid $1,000 an hour. (or maybe it was day)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vago View Post
    As someone has already pointed out in this thread, schools in poor areas have the highest funding. Please stop using education, availability, as an excuse. Everything a child needs in order to learn and become an educated person in our society is provided in every single school. States hand out the curriculum books, every school as a library, every school has at least one computer lab starting in elementary school. There is simply no excuse!

And if you happen to actually read the thread and not cherry pick a couple of lines you would see that I said all teachers meet the same qualifications but not all teachers really care. I also said that the reason behind that is probably better suited for another thread.
    You're right! These kids like to live in impoverished areas and face a life of crime and drug abuse! Generational poverty is definitely a choice, we whites have given the poors in the inner city all the tools they need to be successful like us in our suburban neighborhoods!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Mark Zuckerberg donated $100 million to an underfunded school system.

The entire experiment was an utter failure.

Teachers gained around $3,000 yearly while "consultants" were paid $1,000 an hour. (or maybe it was day)
    Welp time to close up shop. It's obviously not funding or teacher pay, it must be the nebulous "ghetto culture" where they don't like to be educated and want to live in abject poverty. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The highest funded districts in the country are not in wealthy areas. At the funding levels present across the United States, you'd have a very difficult time demonstrating the marginal value of more spending is above zero.
    What if these schools have higher funding because, as someone said, they often pull in students from the entire county, and therefore serve many more students compared to small wealthy districts. I don't think it's fair to look at a school's total funding alone without acknowledging its scope. It's better to look at how much money is spent per student, instead, right?

The minimum wage should probably be around $10 an hour now to keep up with inflation.

We do need a living wage but not a make up for all my bad life decisions wage.

Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    What if these schools have higher funding because, as someone said, they often pull in students from the entire county, and therefore serve many more students compared to small wealthy districts. I don't think it's fair to look at a school's total funding alone without acknowledging its scope. It's better to look at how much money is spent per student, instead, right?
    I'm referring to per capita funding. The highest funded districts in the country are NYC, Baltimore, and other failing systems. There's no evidence that moving from $10K/year to $12K/year improves education in any meaningful way anyway. American schools simply do not have a funding problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm referring to per capita funding. The highest funded districts in the country are NYC, Baltimore, and other failing systems. There's no evidence that moving from $10K/year to $12K/year improves education in any meaningful way anyway. American schools simply do not have a funding problem.
    Oh is it the "blacks like living in abject poverty and don't care about learning" problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

There's more than a little evidence disagreeing with this. Really, without digging too deep, the only study I could find supporting your claim comes from Cato, which I view as fairly suspect.

This might be of interest to you.

This [basically your argument] analysis is entirely based on highly aggregated state-level data, and necessarily overlooks
    all the details of individual states’ tax policies, school funding mechanisms, etc. It also omits all
    the broader socioeconomic factors that certainly affect NAEP performances and real estate
    values.