Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    50% of single mothers in the US are below the poverty level. Also, nearly half of children born in the US are born out of wedlock.

And these rich bitches want all our lovely man money in child support! The greed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    I am indeed!

I'm in favor of building more prisons, so I don't know what you're trying to convince me of. Handing her a blank check isn't going to get her out of poverty.
    So you'd rather spend money on prisons and guards and all those opportunity costs of lives wasted than help single mothers trying to raise children? You sound like just the person to have opinions worth following.

I am indeed!

I'm in favor of building more prisons, so I don't know what you're trying to convince me of. Handing her a blank check isn't going to get her out of poverty.
    Why not just skip a step and put the babies directly in prison? You could build way smaller cells. Cheaper and more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    He should be contributing to his child's well-being. He contributed to creating it. Even if he isn't directly involved, he has a financial responsibility, regardless if planned or not.
    Don't post your sound logic and common sense here, you're just inviting the Red Pill acolytes to come in here and talk about the inherent evil that lurks within the female vagina. Something something male entrapment something something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Are you so holier than thou that one mistake is enough to remove all empathy?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you're well aware of the economic and criminal consequences of children raised in poverty. You're not an island.
    I am, that's why I don't raise kids in poverty. Throwing money at them isn't going to help either. I'm well aware of the consequences of single mother, having kids in poverty and just continuing the problem exponentially. There is a reason in the ghetto you see kids knocked up 14-16 and it grandmother raising the kids. Its a cycle, she raises her grandkid. Her daughter raises her grand kid, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    These forums struggle with this concept but some people actually want to keep their kids.

30 years ago that was the average age of childbirth in the US. People have been gradually putting off parenthood, now it's more like 26. Plus teen pregnancy is at record lows.

It's actually one of the reasons most Western civilisations are experiencing declining birth rates (below replacement levels) and an ageing population.
    And poor people having children keep those jobs no one wants to do occupied, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    I am, that's why I don't raise kids in poverty. Throwing money at them isn't going to help either. I'm well aware of the consequences of single mother, having kids in poverty and just continuing the problem exponentially. There is a reason in the ghetto you see kids knocked up 14-16 and it grandmother raising the kids. Its a cycle, she raises her grandkid. Her daughter raises her grand kid, etc.
    "throwing money at the problem"? Do you really want to claim things like SNAP don't help?

She needs to get a different job with more hours. I work for a pizza place for the same wage, but I'm a store closer and have around 40 hrs per week. I get paychecks at the same rate she does and they are twice the amount what she is getting. It seems like she is only working 15-20 hrs per week. Granted even twice that money is still not a livable wage, but she could be doing more.

I am indeed!

Very true, in the long term it isn't. However cutting her benefits and kicking her out on the street obviously wouldn't increase her chances of success. Low education I'm sure comes into play to how she wound up where she is. The problem is how do we solve it or at least try to curb the statistics? Her story is like many many others unfortunately.

10+ Year Old Account
    The hell is wrong with people who are willing to shame a woman who works full-time to support her child?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The hell is wrong with people who are willing to shame a woman who works full-time to support her child?
    But you see Pendulous, unlike them, she made a mistake at some point in her life

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    These forums struggle with this concept but some people actually want to keep their kids.
    I actually don't blame people for wanting children when it is not necessarily in their best interest financially--we have a deep seated drive to procreate despite whatever financial or sociocultural situation we find ourselves in.

But by "having children" I am referring to a number that is within reason. When people are broke and are popping out 4 or 5 kids is when I start to get judge-y.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you'd rather spend money on prisons and guards and all those opportunity costs of lives wasted than help single mothers trying to raise children? You sound like just the person to have opinions worth following.
    Prison guards and cells are useful. They keep the crooks off the streets and provide well paying job opportunities.

The mother is doing what she needs to do to take care of her kid. Nothing wrong with that, but make a youtube video and say to the world "Poor me! I'm a victim of circumstances!" is bullshit. She's a victim of her own decisions. Have some dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    It's off-topic. Think of the demographic here...although I'd be interested in seeing what the actual demographic of this forum is, maybe my assumptions are way off but I doubt it.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I actually don't blame people for wanting children when it is not necessarily in their best interest financially--we have a deep seated drive to procreate despite whatever financial or sociocultural situation we find ourselves in.

But by "having children" I am referring to a number that is within reason. When people are broke and are popping out 4 or 5 kids is when I start to get judge-y.
    There is a reason why poor people have ton of kids, its there all over the earth. When you cannot be sure, to make sure, your line won't end, you create more chances/kids to pass further your genetics
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Prison guards and cells are useful. They keep the crooks off the streets and provide well paying job opportunities.
    They're also a really shitty form of delayed welfare as you're advocating.

The mother is doing what she needs to do to take care of her kid. Nothing wrong with that, but make a youtube video and say to the world "Poor me! I'm a victim of circumstances!" is bullshit. She's a victim of her own decisions. Have some dignity.
    So people like you could criticize her for placing her dignity over the needs of her child? There's no winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one is above making mistakes, we all make them and will continue to make them.

These boards really make me sick sometimes, what does kicking a person who is already on the bottom accomplish? You're the same people who will see those in poverty causing turmoil and call them animals, yet when it comes to helping your fellow man you spit at them and ridicule them. It makes you less than an animal.

Your life can turn upside in the blink of an eye, it happens to people every day.

Use condoms or stop bitching. And for fuck's sake fuck that 30 characters fucking shit.

Deleted
    We should withhold aid to "teach her a lesson"?
    She should have known better before having a child. But apparently kids in the US needs this lesson :/

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    She should have known better before having a child. But apparently kids in the US needs this lesson :/
    Government policy shouldn't be based on paternalism.