Question Migrating Windows from HDD to SSD

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of cleaning up everything from my HDD (I've backed up all my wanted files) and plan to uninstall everything apart from the Windows OS from the HDD.

If I migrate the Windows OS to my SSD (I have my Steam and WoW files here already) will this action delete these files already on the SSD?
    They total ~100GB and I do not have room for them on my external storage.

So basically I am "cleaning up" my HDD before migrating it to the SSD. I'm hoping to be left with just the OS (I am aware there will be some bloat but I am not worried about this - I would like to keep my current windows settings etc.).

Guides I am using:
    Remove all but Windows OS: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/wipe-...-os-56796.html
    Migrate HSS to SSD: http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-t...d-state-drive/

This is new to me and any help or advice is appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like a lot of effort to carry out a process you are probably better off avoiding anyway.
    Better to re-install and start from scratch.

Any cloning you do will require you to "re-image" at least the boot and primary partitions. It will likely turn into more trouble than it is worth. better to put your steam games etc.. on your HDD and do a clean install on the SSD.

As Djinni said, it's really a far better idea to just do a clean install of Windows on the SSD.

10+ Year Old Account
    you are going to complicate the process if you don't complete wipe your SSD. like 100 times more complicated.

reformat it, install windows OS, take the hours needed to reinstall steam/WoW, enjoy the benefits of an SSD.

10+ Year Old Account
    To keep your current windows settings, you can always make use of the Windows Easy Transfer program.

I reformat my computer quite often so Imo all u gotta do is reinstall windows from scratch. it takes like 20-30 mins for windows to fully install on a SSD and then just get your internet going and you can download wow/ whatever games you want. mostly its d3 for me that takes the longest to download but as long as its one of the first things i download its easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    I reformat my computer quite often so Imo all u gotta do is reinstall windows from scratch. it takes like 20-30 mins for windows to fully install on a SSD and then just get your internet going and you can download wow/ whatever games you want. mostly its d3 for me that takes the longest to download but as long as its one of the first things i download its easy.
    Why would you keep downloading it all again?
    All blizzard games are portable. Meaning you can safely put them on a different drive do your windows re-install. and play right from where you left off.
    all steam games can just be copied over to a backup folder. when you've done the reinstall, copy them back to your steam folder, point steam at it and it will sort itself out.9

Thanks guys. I'll do a fresh install. Didn't realise there were extra complications to cloning / migrationmigration.

There isn't extra stuff. All you do is literally clone it to an SSD, then run the Windows Index Score thing, and it will change the necessary stuff during the test because it will realise its on an SSD now and not a HDD. If you're running like windows 8, there's a command to run this as it's not in the UI anymore. Windows 10 I'm not sure on, but would be the same command if it doesn't have it in the UI either.