Help with display crashing/black screens...please

Hey everyone Ive been having an issue with black screens and am hoping to solve it one way or another within the next couple of days.

With the any of the newer catalyst drivers and anytime I watch a youtube video, start a game, and sometimes just randomly, my display crashes until I force a shutdown. My monitor will shut off like its going to sleep or standby. Sometimes sound will continue and be responsive (a windows jingle will play like something crashed), while others it will freeze also. If I delete the drivers and use stock, youtube works fine and there's no crashes. I can't try games since the drivers aren't updated. I'm using Windows 10 64 bit so these two drivers are the only supported ones and it was working for a few weeks before these problems started.

Before this started I would sometimes get artifacts when watching twitch streams and driver crashes/recoveries when watching youtube, I can only assume its related. The more things I try to do the more I feel like it may be a hardware issue.

My gpu s a 6970, temps seem reasonable at 40s idol and 70s during load before a crash. I don't have any spare parts which makes testing hardware difficult.

Sounds like your graphics card is having issues? You said you uninstalled it and reinstalled drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Sounds like your graphics card is having issues? You said you uninstalled it and reinstalled drivers?
    Yea I've done clean installs of 15.7.1 and the 15.8 beta both have the same problems

Edit: Just saw they added a 15.9 beta today. I'll try it too.

- - - Updated - - -

15.9 does the same thing in the end. Although now everything stutters and freezes for about 10-20 seconds before the black screen instead of instant. I was watching temps as the video played and they never went above high 60s
    Last edited by Ungrateful; 2015-09-29 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungrateful View Post
    Yea I've done clean installs of 15.7.1 and the 15.8 beta both have the same problems

Edit: Just saw they added a 15.9 beta today. I'll try it too.

- - - Updated - - -

15.9 does the same thing in the end. Although now everything stutters and freezes for about 10-20 seconds before the black screen instead of instant. I was watching temps as the video played and they never went above high 60s
    Did you check your event viewer for errors?

I was having similar issues with my 6870 late last year. In my rig, I was getting what you were getting. In my wife's, it was just shutting down completely. Tried different drivers and everything. Wife just went to using a laptop we had on the TV to play FFXIV until we upgraded early this year. I am not sure if I could have fixed it some other way, but it just seemed to me like the cards were failing and they were out of warranty, so I just upgraded my rigs.