Deleted

Monitor upgrade help needed....

Hello all!

WoW gamer from the Netherlands here.

I'm gaming on the following PC:
    • i5-4670K (didn't OC it yet)
    • 8GB ram
    • Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5 OC TRI-X

Together with a Iiyama 24" 60Hz screen, and 2x 17" Dell for Facebook/Wowhead/whatever

Right now I want to start using my Iiyama 24" as my second screen, and get a new primary screen for gaming.

What my "demands" are:
    • 27"+
    • higher resolution than 1080p
    • 300-400 Euro budget

I've been looking at these 2:
    • Iiyama Prolite B2783QSU-B1 (367 Euro in my country)
    • LG 29UM67 (309 Euro in my country)

What I'm wondering about is if I should get a 75Hz or better screen, and if I should worry about Freesync or not.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? It's primarily for playing WoW, might play a different game now and then but unlikely. There are so many monitors around, and I really don't know what to look for nowadays.

Thanks in advance!

-Ragaroah
    Last edited by mmocbf8cb84605; 2015-09-29 at 01:54 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    In all honesty the one you picked looks fine, iiyama is a very good screen builder and IMO among the best.

The other screen of iiyama is good (IPS variant) which is also 60Hz ... but honest to God I do not like that new design.

I much rather prefer the old design which was functional, not this crap they try make it look like ... Apple?

(For those of you who are wondering which I am referring to, click here!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Any specific site you can link that you'll use?

Deleted
    I'm using Tweakers, a Dutch site with a pricewatch, see:
    http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/

I sure do love me some BenQ GW2765HT 27"
    Though QNIX QX2710 was a cheaper route for me and thats what I got, you can OC the refresh so why not? I got it to 120hz no issues on 1440p

Deleted
    I've been looking at QNIX, unfortunately there's no reseller in the Netherlands...

The BenQ looks nice as well!

Quick question besides the monitor choice though, does WoW support Freesync? Can't find too much info about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ragaroah View Post
    I've been looking at QNIX, unfortunately there's no reseller in the Netherlands...

The BenQ looks nice as well!

Quick question besides the monitor choice though, does WoW support Freesync? Can't find too much info about it...
    I'm not sure about freesync. Blizzard kind of went the Nvidia route and that usually means less ATI/AMD support. Freesync support may not be there.
    As for screen tearing I haven't had any on the monitor and I run SLI GTX 980 (2). You may have a different experience with ATI/AMD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any of the adaptive sync is independent of game and developer, it just latches onto the application's FPS regardless of whatever it is, could even be a video player.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Any of the adaptive sync is independent of game and developer, it just latches onto the application's FPS regardless of whatever it is, could even be a video player.
    That's awesome news! The thing I'm stuck with now is choosing Freesync over IPS or not.

The BenQ looks nice. IPS, but 60Hz and no Freesync.

The LG 29UM67 (although 21:9, but WoW supports it) is available at a nice price, for 60Hz (although I keep hearing 75Hz all around, what's up with that?) IPS, and Freesync.

Then there's the Iiyama. A TN panel, 60Hz, but with Freesync.

Pretty much stuck with those 3 as far as I see it, there's no other ones at that price range right?

10+ Year Old Account
    The 29UM67 isn't a bad monitor honestly actually but 21:9 is really dependent on user, if you like 21:9 then go for it.

As to the 75Hz thing, it's specs for the panel itself is 60Hz. Panels 'can' work outside of their native refresh rate with proper overdrive or pixel response time. So what LG did was essentially took their panels and tweaked it a bit with the proper set up to get it up to that 75Hz. The refresh range is 48-75Hz for the FreeSync is 48-75 which imo they could've gone lower as lower refresh rates generally aren't problematic for the panel itself.

Deleted
    Gonna check out the LG 29UM67 after work, see what it's like in RL.

Understand about the 75Hz now, thanks! What about the Iiyama? Can't really find a Freesync range for it... (Not even a review actually).

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a newer product, so I imagine that's one reason. Iiyama doesn't have that huge of a media presence is also potentially another reason (comparing to Asus, Dell, Acer, etc).

That said going off by the spec page it has a vertical refresh range of 50-75Hz.

Deleted
    Alright, thanks a lot.

After a lot of thinking, I'm going to take a dive and go for the 21:9 monitors. 1 thing I'm doubting at the moment though is if I should get the LG 29UM67, or the LG 34UM67.

It's a bit of cash extra, but right now I normally work on a 28" 4K screen at my job, and I really enjoy the size. The size would be near a 34" widescreen. I'm aware the LG 34UM95-P (for a hefty sum extra) supports 3440x1440 instead of 2580x1080, but I don't think WoW is going to like it on my single R9 290... And upgrading that R9 290 would get too expensive...

What do you reckon? Normally gaming on the Iiyama, working on a Dell 28" 4K screen, really enjoying the secon'ds size. Would a 29" 21:9 be big enough, or should I up my game to a 34" 21:9? And is there any other plus points on the 34", monitor wise?

Thanks in advance!