10+ Year Old Account

Scary boot issue

So last night I was doing my thing, modding Skyrim, fartin' around on Youtube. Earlier in the night I had added 2 intake fans to my case, nbd. Sealed 'er up, and around 1 AM, I shut my PC down, from the start menu, traditionally. Everything's fine!

I wake up today, and I boot her up...and I get this message:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key.

I reset the computer a few times, kept getting the message. I turned it off for a few minutes then tried again, same message. I swapped the SATA cables (the fat ones from the PSU) and still, the message appears. Made sure I didn't have any loose SATA cables, still, the error persists. I swapped the tiny SATA cables from my HDD and SSD (My OS is installed on my SSD), and after my PC repeated itself one more time, it booted up...and then shut off, never saw the login screen, only the rotating windows loading icon of Windows 10. I restarted, and bam, booted up finally. And it's running fine now.

What the hell happened?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds very vague. The problem with SSD's is that you don't really hear them, so I cannot ask if you heard it spinning. I assume you heard the HDD spinning though and that the intake fans are correctly connected to the respective power source.

By a long shot, I may say that your PSU is unable to provide the power required that is being asked by your system?
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

That error means there was nothing to boot to and it wants you to install something.
    Sounds like it's having problems reading the SSD, since you checked and tried changing the cables, those should be fine. Windows could be corrupting or the motherboard is having issues with its ports. Also try to update the firmware on the motherboard, this should help with future issues (just make sure you don't lose power in the process.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    That sounds very vague.
    I wish I had more to share.

By a long shot, I may say that your PSU is unable to provide the power required that is being asked by your system?
    I'm running a 650W EVGA, which should be more than enough for this:

i5 4670K OC'd @ 4.0GHz
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
    G.Skill Trident 8GB DDR3-2400
    ASUS HD7850 2GB
    Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
    WD Caviar Green 1TB HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    Also try to update the firmware on the motherboard, this should help with future issues
    AFAIK it's up to date, but I'll check it out.
    [/url]

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    I wish I had more to share.

I'm running a 650W EVGA, which should be more than enough for this:

i5 4670K OC'd @ 4.0GHz
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
    G.Skill Trident 8GB DDR3-2400
    ASUS HD7850 2GB
    Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
    WD Caviar Green 1TB HDD

AFAIK it's up to date, but I'll check it out.
    it could be that a BIOS update may be required if you're running SATA-III. How old is your 650W? Always remember that it's 85% (give or take a few depending on the brand, model, parts and build) of the efficiency and it looses power over the years. 650W equals 555W when you bought it.

Again, these are long shots, as I got nothing solid to work on atm
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

10+ Year Old Account
    it could be that a BIOS update may be required if you're running SATA-III. How old is your 650W? Always remember that it's 85% (give or take a few depending on the brand, model, parts and build) of the efficiency and it looses power over the years. 650W equals 555W when you bought it.

Again, these are long shots, as I got nothing solid to work on atm
    It's...less than a year old? A little bit over that, maybe?
    [/url]

Did you try removing / unplugging the two new intake fans and then seeing if it booted up normally?

If you have a spare PSU, try it. Could just be your existing one is faulty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Did you try removing / unplugging the two new intake fans and then seeing if it booted up normally?
    I haven't...I'm afraid of what'll happen if I restart it, lol. After I installed those last night, I booted it up perfectly and played a bunch of Skyrim. Strange that Fans might be the cause of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    If you have a spare PSU, try it. Could just be your existing one is faulty.
    I have an old 520W PSU laying around, it's ~4 year old though.
    [/url]

I haven't...I'm afraid of what'll happen if I restart it, lol. After I installed those last night, I booted it up perfectly and played a bunch of Skyrim. Strange that Fans might be the cause of it...

I have an old 520W PSU laying around, it's ~4 year old though.
    The reason the fans could be the cause of it is that if the PSU is bad, and not up to specs, or has degraded, the extra power draw from them would be too much and then the SSD is not getting the power it needs so BIOS does not see it. Not that strange really. It's a long shot, but possible. If you do not have another more powerful supply to test it with, if you have, or know someone with, a multimeter, you could test the output of the PSU to see if this is the cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    The reason the fans could be the cause of it is that if the PSU is bad, and not up to specs, or has degraded, the extra power draw from them would be too much and then the SSD is not getting the power it needs so BIOS does not see it. Not that strange really. It's a long shot, but possible. If you do not have another more powerful supply to test it with, if you have, or know someone with, a multimeter, you could test the output of the PSU to see if this is the cause.
    We have some at work, great idea!

Until then, I'll unplug those fans.
    [/url]

It may seem wierd, but one of the first rules of troubleshooting is: If the problem started after you changed something, revert the change and see if the problem continues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    It may seem wierd, but one of the first rules of troubleshooting is: If the problem started after you changed something, revert the change and see if the problem continues.
    Makes sense, especially from a Skyrim modding POV. :P
    [/url]

Well I also have an MX 100 SSD and so far it has dissapeared from my system 3 times, luckily it's not my boot drive but there seems to be something fishy going on with those SSD's, turning my system off and back on has fixed it so far, might still return it under warranty if it happens again. My firmware is up to date and since i have built a semi new PC recently and had it also happen in that one I'm pretty sure it's not related to MOBO or PSU issues.