Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My house has been literally moving today.

I thought I was feeling strange earthquakes today.

They did not feel normal, like my house was being rung once like a bell with a big mallet on my garage door, instead of the swaying back and forth like an earthquake.

i just found out the reason:

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/booms-...-jber/35560552

literally, physically moving my house, shaking the bed and everything, stuff falling off shelves.

like 7 times so far since this morning...

Explosions heard around Anchorage Tuesday afternoon were confirmed to be a planned explosive ordnance disposal training at the Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, according to Air Force spokesman, Jim Hart.

Munitions expire over time and need to be disposed of, Hart told Channel 2 News. Officials used 106 lb charges to destroy 40mm grenades, small arms and ammunition.

The training should continue until about 4 p.m., Hart said.

Weather conditions can affect how far the sounds can be heard and sometimes sound waves can reflect off clouds and travel further, he said.

Channel 2 viewers reported hearing the explosions from Spenard, Downtown Anchorage and East Anchorage.
    share your stories of being in earthquakes, do you like them? hate them?

i like them, and think they are fun.
    (as an amusement ride, not as a catastrophe)

Maybe you just need to lose weight.

so true...

i feel like i am slowly turning into that purple-blueberry from willy wonka

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post

They did not feel normal, like my house was being rung once like a bell with a big mallet on my garage door, instead of the swaying back and forth like an earthquake.

literally, physically moving my house, shaking the bed and everything, stuff falling off shelves.

I always enjoyed earthquakes.

And holy shit, 106 lb charges are massive. The largest explosive charge I've ever detonated was 30 kg, but that was also 30m below ground. I did set off a 20kg charge about 2m below ground once though. That left a pretty big crater.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

5.6 Richter earthquake on the 11th floor of an apartment building.
    So fun...
    It woke me up so I end up watching how the ceiling is moving along with the entire room.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2015-09-30 at 06:17 AM.

Deleted
    Never felt an earthquake before, although I would like to. Sounds exciting!

I remember our school used to shake occaisionally. We lived close enough to the tectonic dome in the Adirondacks, and there was a quarry, so we'd get shocks from either every once in a while.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only ever felt a quake once, in the UK and it was only a small one (something like 3.2) but I'll admit it was rather surreal. Initially I could only look outside and immediately thought (Aliens!) but alas it wasn't, still gave me a bit of a spook though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Almost no earthquakes in our general area, i did feel a small one years ago, but it wasn´t even a 4 i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

No earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, volcano eruptions, floods, forest fires... maybe some hail once in a while. My place is boring

Had one Earth quake at home, mild thing it was. Had a 7.2 while in tokyo once. Woke up shouting to my friend STOP SHAKING THE ROOM. My brain slowly figured out it was in fact an earth quake.

Deleted
    I have a major train line at the very end of my garden (literally 12m from the house) and every time a freight comes by the entire house shakes. Interior keeps cracking from the regular vibrations which is annoying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Never experienced an earthquake, just doesn't happen here.

Well, it happens, but they're so minor that no one really notices them. The last big one was over a hundred years ago.

Oooo! This is ripe for conspiracy theories! What was the government covering up? Some kind of Mission Impossible event?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Oooo! This is ripe for conspiracy theories! What was the government covering up? Some kind of Mission Impossible event?
    Bad curry night. Sigh at 30 chars!

Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post

Who needs earthquakes? I live near Holloman Air Force Base/White Sands Missle Range. About 2-3 times a month they conduct training exercises and sonic booms rock the entire area sometimes more than a dozen times a day. I'm talking house shaking, garage door rattling booms. The first one of the day usually startles the crap out of you.

When the ground shook, did you see fat people nearby?

I live near a Military base, its great fun when they do ordinance at 12:30 am

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I always enjoyed earthquakes.

And holy shit, 106 lb charges are massive. The largest explosive charge I've ever detonated was 30 kg, but that was also 30m below ground. I did set off a 20kg charge about 2m below ground once though. That left a pretty big crater.
    106lb charge... to blow up grenades.

Edit: the only earthquake I remember was probably 8 years ago. 4.5 magnitude that woke me up. I immediately went back to sleep. I thought I dreamed it until people were talking about it the next day.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2015-09-30 at 01:19 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Who needs earthquakes? I live near Holloman Air Force Base/White Sands Missle Range. About 2-3 times a month they conduct training exercises and sonic booms rock the entire area sometimes more than a dozen times a day. I'm talking house shaking, garage door rattling booms. The first one of the day usually startles the crap out of you.
    OH yea, a sonic boom can scare the pants off you. As in diving to the ground to take evasive action from whatever it is coming after you. Well, maybe I'm a bit jumpy..

Doom